Espar D8 smokes on startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
I've got an older Espar D8 that smokes on startup. It's not vapor, it appears to be unburned fuel by the smell.

I have almost zero experience with Espar and would appreciate any ideas on what to look for the fix this.

Thank you.

Does it start smoking right away, or does it start to fire up, then flame out and smoke a bunch while it tries a second attempt to start?

No flame out and restart as far as I can tell. But I'm not sure and don't know how to tell.

1. Turn the Espar on
  2. Fuel pump clicks, fan turns. Perhaps this is the pre-heat phase.
  3. Fan speed increases, smoke comes from the exhaust
  4. Smoke clears out after a bit and it runs clean

Does it start smoking right away, or does it start to fire up, then flame out and smoke a bunch while it tries a second attempt to start?

No flame out and restart as far as I can tell. But I'm not sure and don't know how to tell.

1. Turn the Espar on
  2. Fuel pump clicks, fan turns. Perhaps this is the pre-heat phase.
  3. Fan speed increases, smoke comes from the exhaust
  4. Smoke clears out after a bit and it runs clean

Sounds like it’s starting on the first attempt, that’s good. The older units like yours tend to smoke more on startup than the newer ones., but it shouldn’t be obnoxious.
Are you starting it regularly, and running it long enough to keep the combustion chamber clean?
The only thing I can think of since it starts ok, is that there might be something going on in the combustion chamber , like the burner may be misshaped and distorting the flame and the result is a little unburned fuel till it gets warm. It really not a problem unless it annoys your neighbors.

Yes it gets run often and long enough to clear out. I'm in the process of making the boat ours and ready to cruise. Working on it most days and it's chilly enough this time of year to want the warmth.

Looks like I'll have to add opening up the D8 to my work list.

On the hook it won't be a problem. This time of year I'm mostly the only one on the dock, so not a problem. As spring comes around and boaters come out of hibernation that will change and I expect to hear some complaints.

Heavy smoke on startup was common with my old D7L. Same tech as the 8. My conclusion from several years and many $$$ in maintaining that unit: Cold fuel. With warm fuel, ie, when your need of a quick start and good heating is way less, they work much better and smoke way less at startup.
Years after I removed the Espar from my boat I spoke with a friend who turned out to have been an Espar tech for several years, who confirmed my suspicions that those heaters, designed for buses in Europe, were unsuitable for boats.

I had an old D8 that quit starting because it needed a new glow plug. When I changed the glow plug, it started fine but a few attempts at starting had left a lot of unburned fuel that had run into the exhaust which generated a god-awful smell. It took a few days of running to burn all of the unburned fuel out of the exhaust line, after which the smell was gone.

Unfortunately, that appears to have been the world’s last D8 glow plug, and I junked the heater the next time it needed a glow plug and couldn’t buy one anywhere. I now run a cheap Chinese heater in the same spot.

I'm thinking ahead to if/when the D8 dies. I'm wondering if you find the Chinese heater is capable of warming the boat. The D8 on my boat barely does it when outside temps are in the 30s. I'm thinking I'll need two Chinese units. I think you're running a Defever 49? I'm running a West Bay 4500 probably similar interior volume.
I had an old D8 that quit starting because it needed a new glow plug. When I changed the glow plug, it started fine but a few attempts at starting had left a lot of unburned fuel that had run into the exhaust which generated a god-awful smell. It took a few days of running to burn all of the unburned fuel out of the exhaust line, after which the smell was gone.

Unfortunately, that appears to have been the world’s last D8 glow plug, and I junked the heater the next time it needed a glow plug and couldn’t buy one anywhere. I now run a cheap Chinese heater in the same spot.

The Chinese heater definitely doesn’t put out as much heat as the D8, but we don’t really use the boat in the winter. I run electric heaters on the boat at the dock in the winter. It would take 2 Chinese heaters to heat the boat in the winter. The D8 kept the boat toasty warm in cold (below freezing) weather. With the CDH cranked up all the way in bitter cold weather, it will definitely keep the boat above freezing but not necessarily warm.

If your D8 kept the boat toasty warm it must have been a better installation than I have. To fix I'd have to tear a lot of the boat apart. Not gonna happen.
The Chinese heater definitely doesn’t put out as much heat as the D8, but we don’t really use the boat in the winter. I run electric heaters on the boat at the dock in the winter. It would take 2 Chinese heaters to heat the boat in the winter. The D8 kept the boat toasty warm in cold (below freezing) weather. With the CDH cranked up all the way in bitter cold weather, it will definitely keep the boat above freezing but not necessarily warm.

Ours smoked like the dickens on start up too. We replaced the parts listed on the attachment from AMC Cliffv’s as well as the glow plug, runs like a champ now
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Sure would be nice to get the smoking under control.
Ours smoked like the dickens on start up too. We replaced the parts listed on the attachment from AMC Cliffv’s as well as the glow plug, runs like a champ now
Eric

Our Webasto 2010 always smoked a bit on startup. Was told by Sure Marine that it was because we were running it on our engine diesel fuel and that if we changed to heating fuel it would stop the problem. I can't remember what # diesel heating fuel is-1 or 2. Never bothered taking the effort to change the tankage system and heater was still running fine after 16 years when we sold her last summer in Alaska.

Tator

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Sure would be nice to get the smoking under control.

Just be sure to verify the number of the heater before ordering. There’s a D8L, and a D8LC. There’ll be a sticker with the information on it somewhere.
Cliffv is a good resource. Not the cheapest, but knows his stuff. There’s another guy, that used to work with boat electric, has a repair shop called foenix marine services. These guys are pretty knowledgeable on the older heaters.

Back
Top Bottom