Do I dump my Siren Marine Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
Siren Marine just went up on the subscription rate. From $180 to $225 a year. For others that don't know. Siren uses a cell connection and no other. Without it, its useless!

OK, not a BIG jump but a this could never end and like most people/boaters we are already paying monthly fees.

I have Victron's Cerbo unit on board anyways. Its has 5, what I call dry contacts. So I can attach doors, high water alarms and alike. You can use a USB GPS with the Cerbo. With other Victron units, read battery voltage/s and more. All from the cloud and no fees.

The Cerbo uses two ways to connect to the internet. A ethernet port or Wifi. Then I/we can use the VRM portal to view everything.

I already have a Pepwave router and paying for that cell service too. So thats one way to the internet. I can also use the Clubs WIFI for the Cerbo too.

HERE is my question: Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
I have one also, and it does both wifi and cell for connection. While up at Isle Royale this summer, it was outputting information over my Starlink wifi connection and I was receiving the daily email status reports through Starlink.

Siren was bought by Yamaha a year or more ago and they obviously want to recoup their investment. I've been nothing but pleased with the system and have nothing else that it overlaps with. Considering the rate of inflation, I was surprised the cost didn't increase last year. Considering it's under $19 a month for a monitoring system, I still perceive it as a very good value, but then I don't have anything else that has the same features.

Ted

I have one also, and it does both wifi and cell for connection. While up at Isle Royale this summer, it was outputting information over my Starlink wifi connection and I was receiving the daily email status reports through Starlink.

Siren was bought by Yamaha a year or more ago and they obviously want to recoup their investment. I've been nothing but pleased with the system and have nothing else that it overlaps with. Considering the rate of inflation, I was surprised the cost didn't increase last year. Considering it's under $19 a month for a monitoring system, I still perceive it as a very good value, but then I don't have anything else that has the same features.

Ted

I am a little confused and don't what to assume. So are using VRM portal?

And no Siren Marine unit.

I have the same question each year on the annual renewal of BRNKL, a similar idea to Siren. But there is no alternates.
When away from the boat there is cell service available so it works when needed most.
I keep the plan because it is comforting to be able to login and see the various sensor reports. So I renew.

I am a little confused and don't what to assume. So are using VRM portal?

And no Siren Marine unit.

Sorry for the confusion.
I believe I have the Siren 3 pro (may be an earlier model of the pro). In the installation manual on page 29 it refers to wifi service. My recollection is that priority is through cellular but reverts to wifi if cellular isn't available.

Ted

Sorry for the confusion.
I believe I have the Siren 3 pro (may be an earlier model of the pro). In the installation manual on page 29 it refers to wifi service. My recollection is that priority is through cellular but reverts to wifi if cellular isn't available.

Ted

I called Siren Just on this point (page 29) two days ago. There is no WiFi even with the Pro3.

Page 29 "WiFi Access Point or Client (future functionality)". So it only cellular or satellite which is more $$. But good if your off shore. In my case, I really want it when I am off the boat.

I called Siren Just on this point (page 29). There is no WiFi even with the Pro3.

Page 29 "WiFi Access Point or Client (future functionality)". So it only cellular or satellite which is more $$. But good if your off shore. In my case, I really want it when I am off the boat.

My unit also had future wifi spot on the board. But if you think about it, they cannot charge us an annual fee if wifi connects, they can only retain control with cell connection. Proprietary.

This isn't about Siren specifically, but I have never seen any sense in a system that requires its own cellular plan when most boats already have some sort of cellular data, marina wifi, or now Starlink on their boat already. Just use the internet connection that you already have.

Using the Victron GX device is a great idea. You already have the device, and the cloud service and alerting are included and free.

anyone know of a software that can collect and readout on a laptop as well as log information from systems we monitor now with siren, brnkl etc. and that also send an alert via text or email?

This isn't about Siren specifically, but I have never seen any sense in a system that requires its own cellular plan when most boats already have some sort of cellular data, marina wifi, or now Starlink on their boat already. Just use the internet connection that you already have.

Using the Victron GX device is a great idea. You already have the device, and the cloud service and alerting are included and free.

Totally agreed. Siren support has been great.

As TT said and why not which I was driving at and maybe over looking something. "Just use the internet connection that you already have."

I called Siren Just on this point (page 29) two days ago. There is no WiFi even with the Pro3.

Then I'm at a loss for how it sends data when in a valley at Isle Royale with zero cell reception. The only way to see the historical battery usage is through the app.

Ted

anyone know of a software that can collect and readout on a laptop as well as log information from systems we monitor now with siren, brnkl etc. and that also send an alert via text or email?

Maretron will certainly do it. have my gripes with it, but haven't found anything better, and its not for lack of trying...

Then I'm at a loss for how it sends data when in a valley at Isle Royale with zero cell reception. The only way to see the historical battery usage is through the app.

Ted

Sending data over cell does not require a good signal as voice would. I would say, thats what you are experiencing.

Call them, I think they will tell you what they told me. Only cell or sat, they want the money.

Sending data over cell does not require a good signal as voice would. I would say, thats what you are experiencing.

Call them, I think they will tell you what they told me. Only cell or sat, they want the money.

In the channels at Isle Royale there's no signal at all. The walls are hundreds of feet tall, the Canadian cell towers are 30 miles away, and the American towers are 60 miles away.

Ted

Maretron will certainly do it. have my gripes with it, but haven't found anything better, and its not for lack of trying...

If only Maretron would release the replacement for the SMS100 module. I had that on my last boat and had it setup to send me texts if the battery voltage dropped or someone unplugged my AC power cable. It only worked with 3G cell service which has now been deactivated in the US. Maretron was supposed to release a 4G compatible successor but it’s been a couple of years and no sign of it yet.

Siren Marine just went up on the subscription rate. From $180 to $225 a year. For others that don't know. Siren uses a cell connection and no other. Without it, its useless!

The Cerbo uses two ways to connect to the internet. A ethernet port or Wifi. Then I/we can use the VRM portal to view everything.

HERE is my question: Am I missing anything?

1) the WIFI connection is UNRELIABLE

2) I have always wondered why Victron is NOT marketing the alerts they provide for FREE. when companies like Siren charge 2 arms and one leg

3) I have my Cerbo's and Venus units connected to the 4G router with a cable.

4) I have the power to the 4G router connected to relay 2 of the Gerbo, so IF the router acts up and looses connection, the Gerbo's are set te reboot when loosing contact with VRM. The Gerbo reboots, and the router reboots, solving the issue

5) you have several analog and digital inputs. I connected bilge, temperature etc and set the alert conditionin VRM

Silly to pay for a service when Victron provides it for FREE...

My take on Siren is that it is useful when I have cell service, at anchor and am away from the boat. The geofence works just like/is an anchor alarm. Also, my insurance company doesn't consider the Cerbo GX as an alarming security device. I have just installed a Cerbo and haven't really assimilated all of the features for my use case beyond monitoring charging and electrical system status. We did run into use problems with the Siren in the Bahamas when we discovered that their cell card was not compatible or registered with the cell providers available. So I am going to keep the Siren and pay the uplift to the current service.

A 28% increase in user subscription? !!! I would describe that as a greedy increase and drop them like a hot potato, and let them know why as well

A 28% increase in user subscription? !!! I would describe that as a greedy increase and drop them like a hot potato, and let them know why as well

I believe they've held their price for three years while most things have gone up more than 25%. At some point you have to recoup your costs and increase your employees wages.

Ted

OP, if you have Cerbo and cell, then you can get your data. My issue is that I don't have cellular, only wifi, so I can't get the data off. I have looked at ways to do this for less than say $15/mo, which requires some inexpensive cell plan. Pay as you go is about $10/mo, so that might be an avenue, but haven't jumped to that yet. My plan is just to use rasp pi or arduino with cell module.

OP, if you have Cerbo and cell, then you can get your data. My issue is that I don't have cellular, only wifi, so I can't get the data off. I have looked at ways to do this for less than say $15/mo, which requires some inexpensive cell plan. Pay as you go is about $10/mo, so that might be an avenue, but haven't jumped to that yet. My plan is just to use rasp pi or arduino with cell module.

I have a Pepwave Router that uses T-Mobile and local WiFi. T-M charges me 2gig for $10 a month. In the summer I use the 5gig plan for $20. I hope this helps!

Here is an interesting head start if you want to build your own. The data could be easily displayed in more apps. Uses a Blues Notecard

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/updat...date:(V2,urn:li:activity:7145821029330817024)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom