Custom Scale Model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Has anyone ever had a scale model built of your boat? Who did it, what was the cost, etc. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

Eric
Mahalo, DeFever 44 located in Monterey

Try fellow member BCK. I know he is extremely meticulous.

Attachments

• Desolation July 2022 (21).jpg
    Desolation July 2022 (21).jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 58
I built a couple models of boats that I found lines drawings for. Forming the mold stations was pretty easy from the plans. Couldn't find my own boat though. You find someone that can do that from photos or something, you got a real artist. That's not me.

I'm curious about 3d printing. No experience, but I stumbled across a print file - or whatever they're called - for a scale model of my boat recently.

I have no idea how it's done, but I'm sure someone clever could work from original design plans to create a printed model.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Not a trawler, but here is a model I built for a local here in BC...
an MJM 42' at 34" long...

Attachments

• Seaweed (8).jpg
    Seaweed (8).jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 36
...and one for a customer in Florida...a 1964 57' Chris Craft Constellation at 30" long...

Attachments

• Polly Graf (13).jpg
    Polly Graf (13).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 33
Here's the Wanderbird" a 65' trawler yacht built by Park Isle Marine here in BC. Model is 26" long.

Attachments

• Wanderbird 06.jpg
    Wanderbird 06.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 33
This is another 65 footer...the "Chinook Post" built by Philbrooks, again, here in BC. This model is also 26" long. The yacht has changed hands and is now called "Umiak V".

Attachments

• Chinook Post 11.jpg
    Chinook Post 11.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 29
No ... more please! These are great!

In general what does something like that cost? They look great!

In general what does something like that cost? They look great!

These are all custom commissions and built exactly to the drawings and represent hundreds of hours of labour. Price depends on the particular boat in question, model scale, detail level, etc.
So...they are more than a few hundred bucks!
I've built simple little ones for $1200 and large museum quality for $20k+.
These examples fall in the middle of that range.

Here's a little one for you...a 16" waterline model of a 61' Navigator "Dutch Treat".

Attachments

• Dutch Treat (3).jpg
    Dutch Treat (3).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 26
This model of our boat was made about 12-14 years ago by Captains Models out of Oregon. I believe the owner died shortly after my order. His sons finished the existing orders and shut the business (I believe…hope I’m wrong).

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 29
This model of our boat was made about 12-14 years ago by Captains Models out of Oregon. I believe the owner died shortly after my order. His sons finished the existing orders and shut the business (I believe…hope I’m wrong).

Nice! They built quite a few of those GB rc models. I do hope someone is continuing offering these and making use of all of the molds and related tooling/jigs/files to make them.

BCK. Can you tell us a little about the process of building one?

No knowledge of back story but always admired this model of a Willard 36. In a display case which affects picture quality.

Screenshot_20230727_064858_DuckDuckGo.jpgScreenshot_20230727_064858_DuckDuckGo~3.jpgScreenshot_20230727_064858_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg

mvweebles...Nice Willard model...where was that?

lwarden...the process starts with drawing info (hopefully there is some). I have built a few models with do drawings so I had to "design" them myself and create somewhat simple shop drawings to build to, but this takes time / more $$. For the past 15 years or so, I create a digital file for laser cutting (before that everything was manually cut). I custom build everything from raw materials, so with the client, determine the size/scale, type of model (whole hull or waterline), how much detail, and other features like base type. I build the hull by laser cutting station frames/bulkhead shapes and centerline shapes and fit foam blocks between, then shave down to the shapes. This may seem archaic, but generally, hull shapes are easy forms to make if following the station frames...and 3d printers with the volume capacity of 3 feet long are expensive! I then cover the hull with several layers of fiberglass cloth and mat to 2.5/3mm thick. Then, just like bodywork, fill/fair the hull. I then could use this for making hull molds for multiple models or continue to use as a one-off model. The cabin walls and decks are laser cut and assembled with other materials to machine compound curve shapes for coamings, curved areas, and wheelhouse shapes. For multiple parts I'll make masters and create molds to cast identical parts. Sometimes I'll get complex parts 3d printed, but they have to be the expensive resin printed machines as the quality of many 3d printers are not good enough (parts have that layered look). Windows are typically back sprayed black acrylic. I spray paint everything with automotive paints and equipment, starting with a high solids primer then sand/fair down and top coat.

Attachments

• Calliope (1).jpg
    Calliope (1).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Calliope (2).jpg
    Calliope (2).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Calliope (3).jpg
    Calliope (3).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Calliope (4).jpg
    Calliope (4).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Calliope 5.jpg
    Calliope 5.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Calliope 6.jpg
    Calliope 6.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Calliope 7.jpg
    Calliope 7.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks so much for sharing the process, those are beautiful models. What CAD system do you use?

Fantastic…..
With all that work and detail, we now know the approximate price……… expensive!
Based upon the pictures, you deserve the money.

Thanks so much for sharing the process, those are beautiful models. What CAD system do you use?

I use Rhino

OldDan1943...Yes, you're on the right track:lol: But by looking at the hours worth of work on Robert Eddies website, I'm guessing my models are a little closer price-point!

Has anyone ever had a scale model built of your boat? Who did it, what was the cost, etc. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

Eric
Mahalo, DeFever 44 located in Monterey

Yes we did so. Put together a 3d drawing then found online a 3d printer who could make a 2 ft print of the drawing.

the 3d drawing....lots of measuring, curses, lots of coffee and beer

3D printing $150 found them online.

Cleaning up 3D print, scalpel, magnifier, Bottled sun (bright lamp), paint more coffee and beer.

with 3D printing, it even printed the rudder in such a way it moved. Had it printed bottom and top, since I wanted to make it even RC controlled, but did not get that far in the last 4 years ( other projects)...would have been fun leaving berth with the model in front :)

Yes we did so. Put together a 3d drawing then found online a 3d printer who could make a 2 ft print of the drawing.

the 3d drawing....lots of measuring, curses, lots of coffee and beer

3D printing $150 found them online.

Cleaning up 3D print, scalpel, magnifier, Bottled sun (bright lamp), paint more coffee and beer.

with 3D printing, it even printed the rudder in such a way it moved. Had it printed bottom and top, since I wanted to make it even RC controlled, but did not get that far in the last 4 years ( other projects)...would have been fun leaving berth with the model in front :)

Any photos? What kind of boat?

Back
Top Bottom