Cummins 6bta shut off in engine room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcoop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Time To Play
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Any time I do maintenance with the engine running I have the wife standing by to shut off upstairs because I don't know how to shut it off below. Is there a way to shut down the engine while in the engine room?

I have seen videos on other engines when linkage was move to kill the engine but that was other engines.

Thanks
Tim

My 6BT 5.9 has an electric fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump. I can pull the wire or if needed. I could also add a switch inline to kill power to the solenoid.

Your engine uses a power on to run type of solenoid to provide fuel for operation. THe solenoid is tied to the injection pump by a linkage which , by the way must be free to operate and adjusted to shut down.

Interrupt that wire to the solenoid and the engine will not run.
Find the wire, use a switch to interrupt the power.

Buy a H.D. switch from someone like Cole Hersey with a 25amp rating.
These solenoids draw 10-15A . You don't want to use cheap components which themselves will/can cause unintended shutdowns as they wear.

Do a good job of mounting, wiring and protecting the switch from unintended operations.

Thanks for the replies, I will look into putting in a switch. Seems straightforward, famous last words.

If you have a Cav injector pump it has a manual shut down on the pump. See pic. 12723~2.jpg

Fryedaze, thanks for the picture I will need to check next time I get to the boat, none of the pictures I have show the pump. My recollection is that the fuel lines come out toward the top and all are inline but I need to check.

My 6BTA engines have the same Lucas CAV high pressure fuel pump Fryedaze pointed you to above. Moving that lever shuts them down immediately.

Thanks AZ2Loop, I need to get to the boat to verify what pump I have. It should be this week.

Back
Top Bottom