Cost to take a trawler...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpgt3

Veteran Member
around the world.

I have been searching all over the internet for an answer to this question. I am trying to budget for this over the next few years and am really having trouble finding answers.
I can do the math but am at a loss as to how much moorings and food are in different countries. Maintenance on things I can't do myself, etc. Theres so much to consider.

At some point do you need to just take the plunge and face the issues as they come? I've been researching for years.

Any thoughts welcome.

Twice half.

Way too many variables. Pick a boat first.

Ted

5.00 Eu per ft. avg. daily rate for dockage.

If you already have a Nordhavn 60, then you should be able to afford the rest. So, start cruising and find out for yourself what it costs.

David

As a WAG i would say two years and $250k to $350k. That could rise easily with significant unforeseen problems like groundings, family issues back home and medical expenses.

How much time and money do you have? It took us 12 years for our circumnavigation. It’s dated but we started with sailboat but finished with a Krogen. To quote a member, “how long is a piece of string”?

Here ya go. Cruising expenses for a Nordy 62. If you check historical diesel prices then you can estimate how many miles he travelled each of those years, adjust for inflation, and Bob's your uncle!

Attachments

• Cruising Expenses 62 Nordy.jpg
    Cruising Expenses 62 Nordy.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 115
How much time and money do you have? It took us 12 years for our circumnavigation. It’s dated but we started with sailboat but finished with a Krogen. To quote a member, “how long is a piece of string”?

Just before New Year I met a guy at our marina's monthly BBQ that had a circumnavigation in progress. He left the USA West Coast 12 years ago and had just reached Australia. So Larry you obviously rushed part of yours.....

Then there are the record-chasers who do it in months. What is your goal, the journey or the destinations along the way? It can take as long as you wish and will cost, well, whatever ... Will you be "work from home" along the way like the Hamilton's on Dirona (read their blog) on their N47?

You did not give much background info in your first post, so David M's advice, although somewhat blunt and not to your liking, is worth considering. Cruise relatively locally to get a "per month rate" for your lifestyle choices. Marry that that with your financial resources and plan as many years as works for you.

Last edited:

That is an interesting progression. What sailboat? What Krogen? how far in each? What made you decide to change boats?

Bpgt3: have you owned and operated the N60 for awhile in order to get any baseline costs? How new are the primary systems? I would expect a major part of the budget would consists of either work to get it ready to go round the world or extensive maintenance and repairs given the extensive hours and resulting wear and tear.

Fuel should be relatively easy to estimate if you can pick your primary fueling locations.

I would expect cost variation could be many multiples depending upon all of the variables. If I were making a SWAG and assuming you are starting with a very well maintained yacht with no major systems approaching end of life you would spend $5k-$10k per month as a baseline. Might need a reserve budget of another $50k/year.

Last edited:
You’ll get better answers on the NOG.

I’d start by making sure you can get insurance, or be comfortable going with liability-only.

I think you’d be hard pressed to do it for under 100k per year. Insurance will probably be 30k plus. If you’re traveling 10,000nm a year figure another 40k plus for fuel. Moorage varies wildly. We spent three months in Japan last year and moorage was usually free but didn’t include any amenities like power or water; I’d be surprised if we spent more than $1000 for moorage the whole time. I’m in Mexico now and transient slips run several hundred dollars a night. Food and diesel were cheaper in Japan, too.

You have so much variable

For example from our Long-Cours 62 to the actual Pacific 72 the mooring cost fly from near nothing to ...too much :ermm:Why ? our LC62 could move up the river and canal and lot of place are free or for example 10 year ago in a small village (but supermarket at 300m) 25€ per month, with the actual 1 meter more beamy and 50cm draft more the cheapest we found I was in ...Tunisia but potential customer was afraid to fly in Tunisia 297€ per month on the year basis. Another place in Sardaigna the cheapest we found is 541€ per month on the annual basis

Of course we pass last year around 6 month at anchor it cost ...nothing.
You see already big gap between this different choice.

Diesel between the LC62 and the actual it is the ...double per nautical miles ...
Ok your Nordhaven is much similar to our actual but also depend at witch speed you want traveling 70% of the hull speed (very economical) or at the hull speed (for us it is 1.56lt per nm at 7.1 kts and 3.85lt per nm at 9,85 kts )
Also where you will refuel example in France 2 year ago could be ... 2.38€ per liter ( yes !!!) now "only" 1.8€ per liter, but in same time it could be 0.72€ per liter in Tunisia, 0.22€ in Algeria, and far less in Lybia. You have also Venezuela where it cost few cent per liter.

You see ONLY on your choice of mooring and speed the total could change a lot...I why it could near impossible to give a right annual total for you :nonono:

That is an interesting progression. What sailboat? What Krogen? how far in each? What made you decide to change boats?

We had Slocum 43’ cutter rigged sailboat (44k miles). In the late 90s we didn’t consider a trawler for crossing oceans. We started that trip in the PNW and ended up in North Carolina. Sold the Slocum to take care of a parent but also to take a break. A year and 7 days later we were back in the PNW and found the KK42 (22k miles) for coastal cruising. We went south through the Panama Canal and ended up In Florida.

I would still pick a sailboat for off shore. Imho, crossing oceans is easier, and they are more common than power boats in the sub 45’ range.

I expect there is a fixed cost of owning the boat and living on it regardless of whether it’s moving or at a dock. So the cost of travel is the cost of running the boat which is fuel and maintenance. For a boat like that I figure on 1 NMPG fuel burn, so let’s say conservatively $4 per mile. Then perhaps $1-$2 per mile for maintenance? That might be in the high side. So I would say roughly $5 per mile to operate the boat.

Maybe it's just our news media here in the US, but there seems to be pretty dangerous places throughout the cruising world. I wouldn't know where to start but would think that armed security for those areas needs to be part of the budget. Would like to hear what real experience thinks along these lines.

It will cost whatever you can spend. Plus add about $10,000 to get through the Panama canal.

pete

I expect there is a fixed cost of owning the boat and living on it regardless of whether it’s moving or at a dock. So the cost of travel is the cost of running the boat which is fuel and maintenance. For a boat like that I figure on 1 NMPG fuel burn, so let’s say conservatively $4 per mile. Then perhaps $1-$2 per mile for maintenance? That might be in the high side. So I would say roughly $5 per mile to operate the boat.

For a 60-foot boat, I'd use a guestimate of $150/night when in a marina. May seem high to some, but most countries have added tax in the 12%-20% zone; plus electricity and water are metered. Marinas tend to be seasonal in many areas so the costs are recovered over 5-mos vs 12.

For fuel, would use $1/nm as TT suggests. Plus generator of $1/hour. Best I can tell, US fuel prices are a bit lower than average.

Food/beverage - probably about the same as you currently spend. We eat out a lot more in Mexico because we like to. I'd guess we spend around $1k/mo on food and dining, but we're not careful about it at all.

For regular maintenance, bottom diving of $100/mo; boat wash around $100/mo. Haul-outs are usually less than in the US.

Scheduled mechanical maintenance - total wild card. But around the same as at home assuming you brought adequate spares (impellors, filters, etc.).

Unscheduled maintenance and repairs. An even bigger wild card. Anything beyond AGM batteries is exotic so there won't be skills or parts if you have an LFP/Balmar setup. Or if your refrigeration or air con go out. Hoses and hose clamps are often difficult to source. Finding the right water pump. Sure, maybe you have spares for some but eventually you will have to source a Plan B part at prices that make West Marine seem like a thrift-store bargain.....if you can find it at all. I would double TT's estimate of $1-$2/mile budget and hope there's money left over - I wouldn't be surprised to see $100k for a 30k circumnavigation.

Other expenses such as flying home from time to time (and leaving the boat); agent/customs fees; subscriptions (mobile/internet/weather); DHL Shipping charges; etc. Easily add $1k/mo.

Right now, I figure we're spending about $5k-$6k/mo including some land-based costs (house that's paid for but has taxes/insurance/utilities). So we're probably spending around $5k/mo ($60k/yr) for cruising related costs. Bigger boat and more fuel plus associated moorage costs, I could easily see that approach $100k/year, probably more since we aren't too extravegant.

Hope this helps

Peter

Maybe it's just our news media here in the US, but there seems to be pretty dangerous places throughout the cruising world. I wouldn't know where to start but would think that armed security for those areas needs to be part of the budget. Would like to hear what real experience thinks along these lines.

We have spent the better part of the last 7-years in areas classified as hi-risk. I have given up trying to explain why we feel comfortable in places such as Sinaloa MX (of El Chapo fame - turns out gangsters don't want to live in crime-ridden neighborhoods either). For folks who worry that destinations such as Mexico are unsafe, well, they should avoid Mexico. Not because it's unsafe - we feel very safe, accepted, and comfortable in Mexico. But because life is too short to spend time and money in a place where safety is a concern, no matter how unfounded I believe that concern to be. Perception is reality. There is great cruising on the The Loop including the Bahamas.

Otherwise, come to Mexico and take normal precautions all travelers should take regardless of if they are in the US or elsewhere. Not to say there aren't areas of concern - Red Sea these days would be a no-go. Caribbean coast of Central America has had some piracy issues. I'd shy away from Venezuela these days too. But those are exceptions.

Peter

You’ll get better answers on the NOG.

I’d start by making sure you can get insurance, or be comfortable going with liability-only.

I think you’d be hard pressed to do it for under 100k per year. Insurance will probably be 30k plus. If you’re traveling 10,000nm a year figure another 40k plus for fuel. Moorage varies wildly. We spent three months in Japan last year and moorage was usually free but didn’t include any amenities like power or water; I’d be surprised if we spent more than $1000 for moorage the whole time. I’m in Mexico now and transient slips run several hundred dollars a night. Food and diesel were cheaper in Japan, too.

This

Haven’t gone RTW but have cruised internationally. People here have excellent information about boat costs but a major hit for us was land costs. We thought there was little reason to visit other countries without investigating the country and seeing what there was to see. If doing guided tours, helicopter rides or even just hiring boats and captains for fishing and diving it adds up pretty quick. Same with the level of shopping you do. Open local food markets or the high end shops the mega yacht folks use to get a decent piece of meat or liquor . Restaurants the locals use or gourmet experiences. The land expenses can be anywhere from shoestring to big bucks but likely a mix of both. Its one thing on a one or two week vacation. It’s a totally different thing for a long term cruiser. Some months it was hundreds but some months it was thousands of dollars.

[FONT=&quot]Mid latitudes, bypassing Seychelles and downwind it’s about 28000 nm. Longest leg Galapagos to Marquesas figure 3000 miles. Total fuel figure around 30,000 gallons at 6$ a gallon. 6.5 knot is an economical cruise speed so also figure 4500 engine hours. Did a similar trip years ago on a sailboat and have crossed the pond a half dozen times under sail. If I were to do that again under power I’d try to buy one of the two the fpb 78’s. Love our Nordhavn but the admiral prefers her apartment capabilities over her passage making abilities. If you search the nog there is plenty of info on maintenance costs. Lastly[/FONT] I recommend you only cruise with crew who have had appendectomies and don’t get seasick.

Attachments

• IMG_8622.jpg
    IMG_8622.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I suppose that $10k estimate to cross the canal could add up to quickly. Marina stays on both sides, up to 4 line handlers, admeasure, agent, hired captain if you have a life back home and can't wait from 1 day to 3 weeks for clearance to cross, refueling, etc.

BTW looking at that chart by @Larry_M, it reminds me that if one were to new-build, make sure the builder's paperwork indicates the boat is 19.811 meters. That 65ft length is the magical breaking point for so many fees, but you never know when it's "less than" or "more than" so better off being safe by 1/100 of a meter.

…BTW looking at that chart by @Larry_M, it reminds me that if one were to new-build, make sure the builder's paperwork indicates the boat is 19.811 meters. That 65ft length is the magical breaking point for so many fees, but you never know when it's "less than" or "more than" so better off being safe by 1/100 of a meter.

The builders paper work will be verified by an Admeasuer. Two canal employees actually take a tape and measure bow to stern including the anchor, swim platform, any over hangs. Our Krogen is listed at 42’. From the back edge of the swim platform to the tip of the swim platform we were measured at
47’4” with a beam 15’’9”.

Attachments

• IMG_8623.jpg
    IMG_8623.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
The builders paper work will be verified by an Admeasuer. Two canal employees actually take a tape and measure bow to stern including the anchor, swim platform, any over hangs. Our Krogen is listed at 42’. From the back edge of the swim platform to the tip of the swim platform we were measured at

Same here when I went through in 2005. Canal admeasurer didn't look at anything other than the tape measure. I forget what the N57 measured out at but had to be close to 65-feet (if not over). I beleive the transit fee was around $1800, plus $500 for an agent and the owner paid $2k expedite fee to get the boat through 36-hours after we arrived in Flamenco (Panama City side).

Peter

For a 60-foot boat, I'd use a guestimate of $150/night when in a marina. May seem high to some, but most countries have added tax in the 12%-20% zone; plus electricity and water are metered. Marinas tend to be seasonal in many areas so the costs are recovered over 5-mos vs 12.

For fuel, would use $1/nm as TT suggests. Plus generator of $1/hour. Best I can tell, US fuel prices are a bit lower than average.

Food/beverage - probably about the same as you currently spend. We eat out a lot more in Mexico because we like to. I'd guess we spend around $1k/mo on food and dining, but we're not careful about it at all.

For regular maintenance, bottom diving of $100/mo; boat wash around $100/mo. Haul-outs are usually less than in the US.

Scheduled mechanical maintenance - total wild card. But around the same as at home assuming you brought adequate spares (impellors, filters, etc.).

Unscheduled maintenance and repairs. An even bigger wild card. Anything beyond AGM batteries is exotic so there won't be skills or parts if you have an LFP/Balmar setup. Or if your refrigeration or air con go out. Hoses and hose clamps are often difficult to source. Finding the right water pump. Sure, maybe you have spares for some but eventually you will have to source a Plan B part at prices that make West Marine seem like a thrift-store bargain.....if you can find it at all. I would double TT's estimate of $1-$2/mile budget and hope there's money left over - I wouldn't be surprised to see $100k for a 30k circumnavigation.

Other expenses such as flying home from time to time (and leaving the boat); agent/customs fees; subscriptions (mobile/internet/weather); DHL Shipping charges; etc. Easily add $1k/mo.

Right now, I figure we're spending about $5k-$6k/mo including some land-based costs (house that's paid for but has taxes/insurance/utilities). So we're probably spending around $5k/mo ($60k/yr) for cruising related costs. Bigger boat and more fuel plus associated moorage costs, I could easily see that approach $100k/year, probably more since we aren't too extravegant.

Hope this helps

Peter

Thank you Peter. And everyones constructive replies.

I'm really just looking for broad strokes here. I have done tons of research and come to a few basic conclusions. My motivation for the post is to verify some of those conclusions. With an endeavor of this magnitude too much research is not enough. Getting different opinions and perspectives is very important for me to feel i've done my due diligence.

How can they get that accurate with a tape measure, without having parallax error?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom