Another big boom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crossroads

Vessel Name
Crossroads
Vessel Make
North Pacific 34
I know this is a long shot, but if I dont ask.......

We heard and felt another big boom Sunday night around 10pm. It was felt over a large area of the SW side of San Juan Island. Many residents around the island stepped outside to see what it may have been. Most concur that is was not a sonic boom. No light in the sky. No smell of smoke. Houses shook. Sheriff deputies found nothing to report, apparently.

This has happened at least twice before, in December 2019, once at 0730, once at 2330. Windows were broken. Residents awakened. Navy denies having aircraft operating at those times.

Since we are close to the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island I want to ask any of you who may live in the area: "Have you felt/heard the booms? and where are you?".

Greetings,
https://strangesounds.org/mystery-booms-2020-updated-list-loud-booms-explosion-2020

iu

We had a rare 2.6R earthquake epi-centered only a mile and a half from my home in NJ. It sounded like a cannon fired off right in front of the house. I never thought the earth made noise like that! The county 911 center lit up with callers thinking the DuPont plant blew up again!

Greetings,
There was a 3.7 about 20 miles south of us on Saturday. Sounded like a large truck driving by. Not common but we DO get a few (4-6) noticeable shakes every year.

Last edited:
I lived in Anchorage in 1964. I dont recall any booms, but more of a very low frequency rumble. I anticipated a big boom when the crevasses in the yard emitted gas from broken lines and the power lines overhead were arcing, but it didnt happen, at least in our neighborhood.

Sonic boom,
whale spout,
flying cows?

Ok couldn't resist...

I doubt it was a sonic boom. The navy doesn't have anything at Whidbey that goes supper sonic. The closest thing to us that goes super sonic are the F15s out of Portland and they haven't been seen up here for awhile.

I doubt it was a sonic boom. The navy doesn't have anything at Whidbey that goes supper sonic. The closest thing to us that goes super sonic are the F15s out of Portland and they haven't been seen up here for awhile.
Canadian F-18s?

First time this happened I went out on the deck and glassed the vessels anchored on Constance Bank, expecting to see a marine conflagration. But that wasn't it. And we are nowhere near WG:)

A shallow quake can make a loud boom. Sounds like an explosion. Then it rocks and rolls like any quake.

I went through a shallow one years ago. BOOM! Then the power went out. Then we rocked and rolled.

Back to the OP. A few weeks ago while walking the bluffs on the west side of Whidbey Island we heard and felt a loud boom that seemed to come from Port Townsend. No smoke. Nothing on the news that night or the next day.

Wonder what the sign said that they apparently took such exception to?

Nothing.

If you look at Google street view, nestled among the Subaru wagons, you can it was just a post.

Must've been nihilists...

:ermm:

Or maybe anti-nihilists.

Last edited:
A sign of the times.

Just say NO to nihilists.

Few years ago we were visiting family in south of France and heard an incredible boom outside. People were out thinking it was a plane crashed on the mountain nearby. It revealed to be an earthquake of about 4 magnitude. The noise was really loud!

L

In Alaska, I was in the tub and it sounded like a freight train rolling through. When it hit the house I was lifted out of the tub. Water everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom