Anchor washdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
Barking Sands has recommended one. I asked him because I have a 1" ID line going from the aft pump already up there (and also HD cables for a thruster).
The damn hose runs left/right/over the river etc. I was just gonna cut it off, it's plugged in the anchor locker.
Anyway, what/where do you have the deck connection so it's not a tripper ?

Barking Sands has recommended one. I asked him because I have a 1" ID line going from the aft pump already up there (and also HD cables for a thruster).
The damn hose runs left/right/over the river etc. I was just gonna cut it off, it's plugged in the anchor locker.
Anyway, what/where do you have the deck connection so it's not a tripper ?

Mine is attached to the side of the pulpit. Not a trip hazard for us. I'm planning on running a new line up to it when that project bubbles to the top of the list.

Nice. Does the water flow as you plug it in? Like an internal valve ? (Assuming pump is on)

Nice. Does the water flow as you plug it in? Like an internal valve ? (Assuming pump is on)

No water-weeny effect if thats what you mean. There are o-rings that engage before the pressure is opened. Works pretty well but I'd imagine there is some flow restriction compared to a hose-bibb. I have one forward for the anchor, and one in my cockpit for raw water washdown. I also have one in the cockpit plumbed into my fresh water system.

Peter

That one is nice. Anything that has a plastic connection point for the hose is best IMO. It seems like every hose automatically gets corrosively welded together within 2 months whether its on a boat or at home these days. I have been putting a plastic, cheap shut off valve between the faucet and hose, and hose and nozzle on everything.

This is what I chose as a deck outlet. Its cheap and 316 stainless:

https://amzn.to/3Rx1Z06

And then it gets topped off with one of these plastic shut off valves. They are 9 bucks for a 12 pack:

https://amzn.to/46kch81

I also put one on the hose end before the nozzle. You can then shut the water off at either place. And when they get sun dried and cracked you just swap them out since you have a 12 pack for $9 lol.

Jabsco 31911-0000 Marine Flush Mount Stainless Steel Water Hose Deck Fitting with Hose Connector (1/2" NPT Female Inlet) used with a coiled hose and nozzle

I just use a bucket of lake water.
I picked up this portable water pump and spray hose assembly from Aliexpress. 40 bucks.
Toss the bucket into the water, rope it up, and put the pickup tube in the bucket.
Instead of a cigarrete lighter socket, I replaced it with an XT60 connector and have the matching connector under the pulpit
When not in use I store it in the bucket under the pulpit.
61nqLyJNbjS._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
I just use a bucket of lake water.
I picked up this portable water pump and spray hose assembly from Aliexpress. 40 bucks.
Toss the bucket into the water, rope it up, and put the pickup tube in the bucket.
Instead of a cigarrete lighter socket, I replaced it with an XT60 connector and have the matching connector under the pulpit
When not in use I store it in the bucket under the pulpit.

You must anchor in the cleanest spots I've ever seen around this lake! Some days I could get things clean with 5 gallons of water, other days I've probably sprayed 50+ gallons through the washdown by the time I'm done cleaning up the ground tackle.

Pull up anchor till it breaks the surface. Put in fwd. Check as deemed necessary & retrieve.

You must anchor in the cleanest spots I've ever seen around this lake! Some days I could get things clean with 5 gallons of water, other days I've probably sprayed 50+ gallons through the washdown by the time I'm done cleaning up the ground tackle.

I know what you mean. however, I do have a little trick when I am pulling up the anchor, I will spot it coming to the surface and stop the windlass when it is about 3 feet from the surface. Then I jerk the chain a few times, enough to get the anchor to pop up about 2' (still 1 foot from the surface) and let it jerk back down. I find 3 or 4 of these sudden jolts can shake off most of the crud, so by the time I pull it up to the pulpit, there is not a lot to wash off.

I know what you mean. however, I do have a little trick when I am pulling up the anchor, I will spot it coming to the surface and stop the windlass when it is about 3 feet from the surface. Then I jerk the chain a few times, enough to get the anchor to pop up about 2' (still 1 foot from the surface) and let it jerk back down. I find 3 or 4 of these sudden jolts can shake off most of the crud, so by the time I pull it up to the pulpit, there is not a lot to wash off.

Our experience has been that it is often not just the anchor, but any of the chain that has been resting in the mud that needs cleaning! Poulsbo WA, is a perfect example. Slimey, clinging goop on much of the anchor chain. Anchor in 15' of water, put 60' of chain in the water, and 45' of that chain, along with the anchor will be coated in gunk. Takes a while to wash all of that off in order to avoid a stinking mess in the chain locker, and even then some of it STILL makes it way into the locker, necessitating periodic washing of the locker . . . . Ahhhh, the joys of boat ownership!:whistling::D

Our experience has been that it is often not just the anchor, but any of the chain that has been resting in the mud that needs cleaning! Poulsbo WA, is a perfect example. Slimey, clinging goop on much of the anchor chain. Anchor in 15' of water, put 60' of chain in the water, and 45' of that chain, along with the anchor will be coated in gunk. Takes a while to wash all of that off in order to avoid a stinking mess in the chain locker, and even then some of it STILL makes it way into the locker, necessitating periodic washing of the locker . . . . Ahhhh, the joys of boat ownership!:whistling::D

That's generally where a lot of the rinse water goes for me too. Plus, there's no way I'm bouncing my anchor around by hand. The anchor plus enough chain to get it a foot or 2 under the surface is about 80 lbs. That's a good bit of weight to casually bounce around on a moving boat in an awkward position without risking injury.

Pull up anchor till it breaks the surface. Put in fwd. Check as deemed necessary & retrieve.

I prefer going astern because I can do so very fast getting a good anchor cleanse with confidence I won't bounce it into the bow.

QUOTE=rgano;1195535]I prefer going astern because I can do so very fast getting a good anchor cleanse with confidence I won't bounce it into the bow.[/QUOTE]

Rich- can you explain further “going astern” with your chain and anchor?

QUOTE=rgano;1195535]I prefer going astern because I can do so very fast getting a good anchor cleanse with confidence I won't bounce it into the bow.

Rich- can you explain further “going astern” with your chain and anchor?[/QUOTE]

Oh, sure. I usually anchor in sand which falls away from my all-chain rode well enough, but the anchor can sometimes dig well into some stickier substrate. So, I get the anchor hanging in the water about two feet below the waterline and back down hard to drag it along to wash the stuff off the hook. Going ahead would see the anchor possible contacting the hull.

Back
Top Bottom