A Learning Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Looking for input for a unique (to me) event. I had closed the engine through hulls in order to change anodes. Left the dock to head off for bottom painting. After a bit the starboard engine sounded a high temperature coolant alarm. I shutdown the engine immediately and tried to move out of the channel using the port engine and discovered that I had no steering at all. The hydraulic steering pump is on the starboard engine.

I allowed the boat to drift out of the channel and then set an anchor to sort out the situation. I immediately found that I had neglected to open the through hull on the starboard engine. I let it cool down and opened the through hull. That solved both the engine high temperature and the steering.

I am now concerned as to how I would steer the boat using the port engine if the starboard engine should fail for some reason and I had no steering. Is there a work around for this either mechanical or otherwise? Is there some means of creating redundancy for the hydraulic steering pump?

If the steering relies on a powered pump (rather than being manual hydraulic steering), I'd either want a manual backup (might be a lot of turns lock to lock), or a pump on the other engine. Or a backup electric pump.

Knowing a little more about your steering setup will likely help everyone here come up with a more specific solution.

All I know at this time is that it is a hydraulic pump powered by the starboard engine. Turning the wheel many times appeared to do nothing. The boat is out of the water so I can try turning the wheel again to see if the rudders move. I was on the upper helm station when this occurred. Perhaps the lower station would yield a different result. (?)

Instead of engine mount, may want to consider an electric direct drive hydraulic pump similar to an autopilot pump. Pump itself isn't too expensive but install would be. Install a secondary backup "warm standby" that can be put online quickly. Not sure why this was engine mounted in first place. Doesn't require a lot of flow. Maybe part of a larger hydraulic system?

May also be possible to use the AP for steering. A jog lever would be much more intuitive.

Frankly, most hydraulic steering assist works manual too. Possible fluid is low and you lost steering at upper helm as a result.

Please post updates. Haven't seem this one before.

Peter

Last edited:
It never occurred to me to try the AP. Pretty sure the fluid is topped up as I checked it before leaving. Certainly worth another look. Thanks!

Also, isn't it important to understand how your non-working engine transmission will handle this situation?. i.e. how far, how fast can you go before doing additional damage?

Joe

Also, isn't it important to understand how your non-working engine transmission will handle this situation?. i.e. how far, how fast can you go before doing additional damage?

Joe

I would definitely move at idle speed and/or secure the drive shaft to prevent prop rotation.

I think the first step is to understand exactly what steering system you have. Make, model, all that stuff. Using the AP is a good idea, but it would be good to know how the whole system works just in case there might be other surprises, or in case the AP might not do as expected/hoped. It sounds like you might have some sort of fly-by-wire steering, but not sure. And as you say, worth checking the lower helm in case it operates differently.

I will check all this out when I get the boat back from the yard.

I have steered my boats at times with the autopilot. Just for practice and because I could.
Try it sometime and see how it works for you n

I assume you have at least a bow thruster, that should provide enough steerage in an emergency....

In addition I always put a post-it note on the helm whenever I shut off a seacock .....prevents a lot of mistakes.

IMHO: Any boat with hydraulic steering should have a manual backup tiller stored on board. and the skipper should have practiced attaching it and using it. If you have this you will never need it, But if you do not have it, then don't complain when you lose steering.

On most boats the top of the rudder post is machined as a hexagon or a square to accept the emergency tiller. Open the bypass on the hydraulic line, attach the tiller and you are good to go.

Ours has an emergency steering arm stowed in the aft lazarette. We can pop the deck cover, insert arm's post onto the rudder head and can manually steer from the aft cockpit. Check to see if you boat has a similar arrangement.

p.s. if you keep your keys with the sea cock when you close them, it makes it difficult to forget to open them again.

IMHO: Any boat with hydraulic steering should have a manual backup tiller stored on board. and the skipper should have practiced attaching it and using it. If you have this you will never need it, But if you do not have it, then don't complain when you lose steering.

On most boats the top of the rudder post is machined as a hexagon or a square to accept the emergency tiller. Open the bypass on the hydraulic line, attach the tiller and you are good to go.

It's a good idea, but not feasible on all boats. With how the steering gear is located on my boat (between the back end of the fuel tanks and the transom, under the aft bunk) it would be rather challenging to rig an emergency tiller. You'd also need headsets or 3 people (1 to relay to the helm) to use it, as the helmsman and tiller operator can't see or hear each other. On top of that, there would be a good bit of friction in the system, as you can't disconnect the hydraulic cylinder (it's double ended and the only thing linking the 2 rudders).

I have since learned that the helm will continue to steer the boat however it will take many more turns lock to lock. I tried this and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom