12 volt television

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I am in the market for 24 to 28 inch, 12 volt television for my Albin 27. Looking for any recommendations or things to look for in a TV for a boat. Because of the location I have to mount it my main concern is that it be as thin as possible. That specification is not always given for televisions in this size.

Check with WalMart or Sams Club they have 12VDC TVs

save money and get a 120V AC TV and power it with a small car 12v inverter

Last edited:
For RV-ing we bought a 24" 'Supersonic' brand 12/120 volt TV. Plenty big for its use.
Not too pricey and worked great connected to a laptop for streaming internet HDTV.
Very lightweight so easy to wall-mount with the included bracket. Claimed 12V/3.6A.

Last edited:
Yea, Walmart doesn't have any. And unless you want to plug in an inverter every time you want to watch TV or deal with the standby current 24/7, you are better off with a 12 volt TV.

A google search will find a bunch of choices. I got one from amazon.com, but it couldn't be controlled with a firestick so I returned it and got one from walmart.com. I think it was this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Naxa-23-...ation-With-Car-Package/123145365?from=/search

Last edited:
I have had small dedicated inverters for things like TVs. You don’t have to plug them in and set them up every time. Just hardwire it in and run the appliance off the inverter all the time.

I am in the market for 24 to 28 inch, 12 volt television for my Albin 27. Looking for any recommendations or things to look for in a TV for a boat. Because of the location I have to mount it my main concern is that it be as thin as possible. That specification is not always given for televisions in this size.

At the big box stores, some of the small flatscreen tvs still use a power brick in the cord. Some of these are outputting 12v. Just need to cut off the brick and hardwire. Beware there are lots of variables within the same model. I did this once and the one I took home had a different power supply than the identical floor model.

I have had small dedicated inverters for things like TVs. You don’t have to plug them in and set them up every time. Just hardwire it in and run the appliance off the inverter all the time.

Yes, but the inverter is drawing power 24/7 even though you may be using the appliance just a few minutes or a couple hours per day. This can draw down your batteries faster than would otherwise be the case.

At the big box stores, some of the small flatscreen tvs still use a power brick in the cord. Some of these are outputting 12v. Just need to cut off the brick and hardwire. Beware there are lots of variables within the same model. I did this once and the one I took home had a different power supply than the identical floor model.

Remember that the "power brick" converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC. Cutting off the brick and connecting the TV directly to your boat's 12 volt system ignores the fact that your boat's voltage could be 14.5 volts or even higher when the batteries are being charged.

This could damage the TV.

Yes, but the inverter is drawing power 24/7 even though you may be using the appliance just a few minutes or a couple hours per day. This can draw down your batteries faster than would otherwise be the case.

A small amount. A simple inline switch will fix that.

Provided that it is actually 12 volts. Some run on 9 volts or 19v. Need to check carefully before you buy.

Jensen had 12 volt tvs up to 41" The last I checked I've had a 32 inch for the last 8 years it has been flawless

Thanks for all the replies! Room on my vessel for systems is minimal at best and my plan for the boat was to keep everything 12 volt. The Victron unit was a good idea and I had to think about that a little but after the cost of the unit and having to find a place to install in and wire it I decided I should just stick to 12 volts. On my last boat I used a little plug in inverter but I was trying to get away from that.

The last problem I have is that I need the thinnest TV that is available. The Supersonics are 3 inches deep (wall brackets make them stand out even further) and most of the other TV brands do not specify their depth without the stand.

So far the Jensen and Slyvox brands of 12-volt TV, s is in the lead with depths around 1.9 to 2 inches. The 1 inch difference does not sound like much but will make a huge difference once I bash my head on it several times because it is sticking out!

Agree...over the years a lot of people have posted how to direct connect 120V TVs to 12V.

Neither hard or easy...the hardest is to find a TV that will accept a range of DC voltage that your boat would put out.

I would search You Tube and or Google the topic first, then Google the topic with different boat and RV forums in the search to get right to the threads.

If too much work, then Google 12V TVs and hit the filter "shopping". I just did it and it hit on quite a few with Camping World coming up a lot. Your biggest issue might be screen size if you have very limited space. Then go back to the 120 to 12V adaptation plan.

A small amount. A simple inline switch will fix that.

Our Magnum 2812 Inverter/charger is off, unless we need it. On our long trip last summer, we had it on more than usual, because of the Starlink. Still, we turned the inverter off overnight. The Starlink is a bit of a power pig.

Need to talk to Elon about making a 12 VDC version.

Jim

Our Magnum 2812 Inverter/charger is off, unless we need it. On our long trip last summer, we had it on more than usual, because of the Starlink. Still, we turned the inverter off overnight. The Starlink is a bit of a power pig.

Jim

I think some people have rigged some sort of POE setup.

I might have it totally wrong...but check You Tube...there are a lot of Starlink mod videos.

Jim

I have the next size larger Magnum inverter. It has a fairly high idle draw alone even without Starlink router turned on. Turning it off at night saves a couple Amps per hour, at least 30 amp-hours over the course of a night.

Peter

Cut the "brick" off

I bought a 110v tv that had a brick that reduced the power to 12v and attached it to a cigarette lighter adapter. Way cheaper than trying to find an expensive 12v tv.

There are plenty of 12 volt RV tv's out there some with built in DVD players.

I just replaced 2 TV's in my boat, one so old 4:3 analog it couldn't receive anything. Got a 40 inch LED for the saloon and a 32 for the aft stateroom. Since the 40 uses 50 watts and the 32 40 watts, not worried about power consumption.

The best part, both were a hundred bucks each! Electronics, the only anti-inflationary products - :)

Last edited:
Sylvox TVs

Check the Sylvox line of TVs. Thin, rugged, great picture, 12/120 volt, hi-def, Designed for RVs. Include built-in DVD players. Smart Android OS.

Back
Top Bottom