Shaft brush noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
Howdy, my shaft brush is making a noise that’s a bit annoying. Has anyone applied conductive grease, e.g rectorseal? Any thoughts?

First, do you really need a shaft brush. They are commonly used to ground the prop shaft to the bonding system. But unless you have a Drive Saver or similar, the shaft has electrical continuity through the transmission to the engine and the engine block is usually connected to the bonding system.

But you might try a conductive grease like this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Carbon-Conductive-Grease/dp/B00SMRNSR0

David

I had the same problem and got rid of the shaft brush and added a zinc on the prop shaft. Much quieter and no corrosion problems!

I had the same problem and got rid of the shaft brush and added a zinc on the prop shaft. Much quieter and no corrosion problems!

+1 on the shaft anode and no brush. Much less maintenance other than changing the anode.

I do have an anode on the shaft as well. I just might try some conductive grease first.

I have a drive saver, shaft brush bonded to Transom zinc and shaft zinc. The latter, shaft zinc I scratch my head whether it is needed.
If the brushes make a noise I cannot hear it.

I have shaft bonding bushing on both shafts. They are mounted from the same side with the shafts rotating in opposite directions, One squeals, one is quite. The one pushing against the flat spring mounting squeals and with a light coating of grease is quiet. The other which is pulled rather than pushing never squeals. They both are electrically conductive when measured with a VOM.

If you have a drive saver just add a jumper wire that connects the two sides of coupling. No brush or zinc needed.

Back
Top Bottom