Wifi boosters - why not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read the fine print: “unlimited data” does not mean unlimited fast data. All the major carriers will throttle your account after you exceed their arbitrary limits. If you are using your SIM card to feed a mobile hotspot the limit is even lower, 15gb IIRC. The data is still unlimited, but the speed is too slow for much more than texting and email.

Read the fine print: “unlimited data” does not mean unlimited fast data. All the major carriers will throttle your account after you exceed their arbitrary limits. If you are using your SIM card to feed a mobile hotspot the limit is even lower, 15gb IIRC. The data is still unlimited, but the speed is too slow for much more than texting and email.

You are correct but it varies by carrier and plan. Some are 100GB for instance. I've never seen an issue but then again I wouldn't call myself a real hard core power user. I don't have kids doing real-time gaming for instance. For my normal work emails and calls, checking weather and stock prices, etc, it seems fine for me.

In many marinas the problem I have is not signal strength, but signal to noise ratio. The signal strength is fine, but the noise floor is high. To get any decent bandwidth you need a S/N of around 15 dB or higher. Amplifying a dirty signal doesn't change the S/N ratio. I have not tried a highly directional antenna yet, but it seems to me that would be a better strategy in a marina: the direction to their antenna is fixed, you can focus on that and eliminate a lot of the noise. Does anybody have a directional antenna that they like, and works?

I've mostly given up on marina wifi unless I am at a transient marina that offers wifi and I will usually try it and it usually works well. Other than that, I use a hotspot on my cell phone and it works perfectly as long as there is a cell signal. Most carriers offer unlimited data these days so that is no longer a concern. Suggest trying that before boosters, antennas, etc.

Most carriers do not provide unlimited plans for tethering, tablets, or hotspots. They provide what they call unlimited plans for phones, but even those stop working in a usable fashion after a certain amount of data.

I use cellphone tethering a lot. Even with unlimited data plans, they limit throughout beyond a certain usage. T-Mobile would first clamp me down so tethering was useless. When I then switched to using video via my phone and other stuff via my laptop, I'd get clamped down later in the cycle-- but then couldn't even check email on my phone, and that was true 24x7, not just prime time.

Just switched to ATT, we'll see how it does...so far the clamp down seems more reasonable and tied to likely network usage levels.

Exactly - all of the providers will slow you down or limit you if you are in a populated area with a lot of people on the towers, or after you exceed whatever plan limits you have. Tethering to a phone usually has limits anywhere from 5GB up to 20GB depending on the plan and details.

Yes, they slow you down to 3G speeds which is extremely slow, but still usable for basic stuff.

When I work with customers, we first start with defining HOW you will use the internet: lots of streaming? just one person? only for email? constantly on?

Then we start with WHERE: offshore? coastal cruising? at the dock?

Once you build that profile, it's pretty easy to determine the priority and the best system and setup. For those who are bandwidth crazy, a dedicated mobile LTE router is best with multiple plans/SIMs from different carriers. This can get expensive, but it is also highly reliable.

For those with less needs, a hotspot or tethering combined with a booster is an option. Sometimes a cheaper mobile router with a decent single outdoor antenna is a good intermediate step that allows for a bit more permanent setup that you can also access remotely while away.

For WiFi at marinas, I don't generally use their network in most cases. They're over subscribed, poorly maintained, and have lots of issues that others have talked about. I have a Comcast/Xfinity connection at home, and as a result, I can login to the "xfinitywifi" open networks that you see everywhere, which are generated by their routers out and about in people's homes. Tons of people have those on their boats at marinas, and they work extremely well as a way to get online. You do have to login with your Comcast credentials, but I only have to do that once a month or so. Far more reliable than the marina WiFi.

Here is a short video from Jeff Cote, our PNW and BC electrical/electronics guru. He has set up a Q&A providing short over view answers to electrical and electronic concerns. He has ceased writing for Pacific Yachting, I'm guessing he thinks he can hit a wider audience with his short Q&A vlogs.

This short vlog just came out today - 20 Feb - so I thought I would throw it into the mix here:

I never had any issues with WIFI antenna booster (Microtik) for streaming however i do use my Cell phone when I need to secure my data.

You are correct but it varies by carrier and plan. Some are 100GB for instance. I've never seen an issue but then again I wouldn't call myself a real hard core power user. I don't have kids doing real-time gaming for instance. For my normal work emails and calls, checking weather and stock prices, etc, it seems fine for me.

We watch about 4 hours of HDTV a day, sometimes more and we always run out of fast data. 120+ hours of HD @ 3gb an hour puts us up at over 350gb a month. Luckily our winter marina has fast WiFi and the occasional shows we record on our DVR off of Dish help lower the total.

TV is s different story altogether and I agree with you, I wouldn't use a hotspot for that. For me it's mostly email, a few skype calls, checking weather forecasts, stuff like that. For my use I never had a problem. Doesn't mean it's the right solution for everyone.

When i do a search with the bullet radio i get sometimes more then 50 access points. A marina may have several access points and the bandwidth used on each point and the channels may have different bandwidth availability. I can reach further out from the pack to find a less congested point especially early evening .

This was our finding as well. Our Ubiquiti Bullet is part of our Wirie Pro system. Unlike your typical laptop or smartphone WiFi radio software, the Wirie was able to use the Bullet to find a bunch of access points and let us choose which to use. The one our laptops and phones chose based on signal strength or whatever had too much traffic and was virtually unusable, but choosing a different access point produced abundant speed.

Frankly, I am not sure if that was the Bullet or the Wirie software. The Bullet antenna was damaged during our haulout and I have found it to be unrepairable. The internal connection between the electronics and antenna are all potted for outdoor use, so once it breaks it's done.

Back
Top Bottom