Sealing a forward hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floatingmick

Veteran Member
Hello, I need advice on sealing the forward hatch on my boat. I have stripped the varnish and removed the glass and am now attempting to plan on how to seal the glass. It has always had a terrible seal around the glass, leaking during rain or big seas and has therefore always been covered by canvas. The angulation is about 14 degrees which I believe allowed enough water to sit and work it's way through. My hope is that I can achieve a good enough seal to be able to leave the hatch uncovered. My first thought was a 3m 4200, but I don't think it plays well with glass. The design of the hatch has the glass sitting in a well without mechanical retention. Anyone have any advice on how to seal the glass to the teak frame and finally achieve a waterproof hatch?

I appreciate the help!

Gratuitous picture below. Image.jpegImage%20(1).jpeg

First I would soak the bared wood in CPES. I am not expert in the sealing of glass, but I am sure you will hear from some how are more informed. I hear the words butyl tape bandied about a lot on this topic.

Thanks! I thought about epoxy, I was thinking of finishing with cetol natural teak and gloss, does epoxy play okay cetol? And I agree that it doesn't look as great, but we have two young kids so work time is limited at this point.

We use SikaFlex 291.
There is another sealer that is known to be compatible w teak. I think the chronic problem is oil ... teak oil. You may benefit from using a teak cleaner where surfaces come together that may leak.

Our teak fwd. hatch is covered most all the time. After attempting to seal it 3 times and still it leaks the cover is’nt so bad.

One could always make a fir hatch cover. And it almost certainly would’nt leak. With cherry stain I would like it.

What about if I added some sort of mechanical retention to apply constant pressure on the glass, I wonder if I would have better luck with that paired with a sealer rather than an adhesive. I'm picturing some sort of bolt held clamp... I would have to get creative on how to dress it up...

Maybe something like this:

https://www.rockler.com/glass-retainer
What about if I added some sort of mechanical retention to apply constant pressure on the glass, I wonder if I would have better luck with that paired with a sealer rather than an adhesive. I'm picturing some sort of bolt held clamp... I would have to get creative on how to dress it up...

Your hatch is similar to a butterfly hatch common to wooden boats. I think you could do a search and find information on sealing the glass at those sites. Some cover constructing a hatch and may cover glass sealing.

Last edited:
I used Sika 291 3 years ago to seal the teak toerail to the fiberglass deck. I used their primer first on the teak because I wanted it to stick and last. Primer was $80 and goes bad after a year on the shelf but it did work. So far there hasn’t been any that has come loose.

I have a forward hatch made of teak with a cast acrylic lens that was leaking badly. The lens also had no mechanical fastening. After following some discussions on wood boat forums , it seemed to come down to a Sikaflex product or Dow Corning 795 adhesive sealant. The Sikaflex required 2 different primers for the teak and the acrylic, and the Dow did not require any primer so I went with that. Three years now, no leaks. YMMV

Hello, I need advice on sealing the forward hatch on my boat. I have stripped the varnish and removed the glass and am now attempting to plan on how to seal the glass. It has always had a terrible seal around the glass, leaking during rain or big seas and has therefore always been covered by canvas. The angulation is about 14 degrees which I believe allowed enough water to sit and work it's way through. My hope is that I can achieve a good enough seal to be able to leave the hatch uncovered. My first thought was a 3m 4200, but I don't think it plays well with glass. The design of the hatch has the glass sitting in a well without mechanical retention. Anyone have any advice on how to seal the glass to the teak frame and finally achieve a waterproof hatch?

I appreciate the help!

Gratuitous picture below.View attachment 109502View attachment 109503

I have three hatches identical to yours. I recently replaced a broken pane of glass in one. I used Sika 291 to seal the glass and it doesn't leak.

Back
Top Bottom