I've got these old oil filters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcsurf1

Vessel Name
Agape
Vessel Make
Californian 45
Original owner had lots of extra filters. Some are showing signs of surface rust. See pic.
Would you use them? They still good?
Btw, the boat is a 2004 so they can't be older than that. Are there use by dates on filters? 20200905_111041.jpeg20200905_111056.jpeg

I can’t think of any reason you can’t but then I wouldn’t. Bet that helped you.

Actually if you pull oil analysis regularly those filters might affect the results. But probably not. Bet that helped some more.

I would
That's a stain more than actual rust and they'll get oil on them and stop.
But then my filters cost $30 each
If they were $5 filters my decision may be different, but possibly not.

As long as the gasket is still soft, the filters will be fine. Even the cheapest spin on filters are made to withstand 100 psi. A couple rust spots won't change that.

I'd worry more about the filter media than the canister. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk.

Most folks find purchasing in bulk brings down the cost .

A cheap vacuum bagger solves most of the long term storage hassles.

The question I ask myself when faced with something like your old filters is what is the cost of a rebuild or repower? What is the cost of a new filter?

A sub-performing filter will not kill an engine over the course of 100 -200 hours of use. If it were I, I would use the filter if the media were synthetic (no breakdown with age). If it were cellulose, I would throw it away.
The question I ask myself when faced with something like your old filters is what is the cost of a rebuild or repower? What is the cost of a new filter?

These are Yamaha branded filters, not an off brand. They just have a bit of surface rust on them. If you feel uncomfortable using them offer them to anyone in the marina with the same motor.

If it were just one filter, I wouldn't risk it. But since you have a bunch of them, I would cut one open to try to assess the condition of the filter media. Any hint of deterioration (or even discoloration or anything else that doesn't look like brand new) and I would toss the lot. If it looks good on the inside, I would use the rest.

I would peek inside to make sure that there isn't something much worse going on in there. Then wipe them with a cloth to get off any loose surface rust. Anything that doesn't wipe off won't matter because the oil from the surface rust will flow through the filter.

Don't use them if you are afraid that they will blow up, catch your boat on fire, and kill you.

Yanmar filters are quality product. You're good to go with a quick wipe if they pass visual inspection before and after use. Remember to look the current filter over during your next change. Assuming it's the same filter that came from the same box.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I ended up tossing 4 with the most rust and kept 4 with a little corrosion.
Just did an oil change and used one of the old filters. Watched oil pressure and everything seems fine. Should have kept em all. Darn things are expensive:)

I use Baldwin filter equivalent on my Yanmar 315 horse. Probably made in the same factory.

I would not recommend using them as they may have more rust on the inside that you cannot see.
Just spend the money on new filter(s)!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom