Humorous/cute boat names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen a few cruisers named 'Cirrhosis of the River' on my travels.
After my divorce in a fit of anger I renamed my boat, a 33' single engine Birchwood aft cabin cruiser 'Begrudged', when I calmed down later I changed it to 'Sanity' as it restored my sanity after the nasty divorce and I lived on her as a bachelor for 18 years before I cruised her safely from Ireland to the Med.
When my partner Evelyne and I bought a 42' ex hire-boat in Ireland I was going to call it 'Macushla' (My darling in Gaelic) but I think she thought it had intonations of an ex or two (it didn't).
Before we collected it we'd been on a trip to Andorra in the winter and we'd stopped to admire the snow covered mountains and she was wearing a furry hood and her nose was all red with the cold and I said she looked like 'a wee snow mouse' and that became the name of our boat.
So c'mon folks tell us your stories.

Sonas.

Gaelic for happiness.

We did consider Sonas Talmhai (earthly happiness), but that was a bit of a mouthful!

On the theme of a boat's name serving as a warning, with "Curmudgeon" serving as my favorite example, they can also provide social cues to encourage or discourage socializing with their owners.

To each their own, but I would likely avoid the crew of "Easy Money" "Wet Dream" etc. and be more drawn to less brash names!

~Alan

We just closed on a powerboat. The PO came from sailing and named this boat "clew-less". Needless to say, it's coming off as we speak.

Our boat's name is Kokanee. It was named after the SS Kokanee, built in 1896 . This was one of the premier sternwheelers which ran on Kootenay Lake in BC, where I was born & raised. I bought a derelict house originally built built by the captain of the SS Kokanee and spent many years completely renovating it. (an omen?)
Kokanee is also the name of a fish species of the area , a a local glacier & provincial park, and a beer brewed in my home town of Creston.

Attachments

• acd0ce0f185991fef740ec7b715e187a.jpg
    acd0ce0f185991fef740ec7b715e187a.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 72
I was living in Knik, Alaska for many years and met Joe Reddington, the Father of the Iditarod, as he was a customer of my business. One day he invited me to his home as he was ill and in his 80’s and had something he wanted me to have. He lived on a high bluff overlooking Cook Inlet and below his house resting in the tidal flats was an old wooden boat. It was so out of place that I had to know more about how it ended up there. Turns out it was his boat and he used it for many years of commercial fishing. Instead of selling it he decided that they would retire together and he said it helped him relive the happiest years of his life, the ones on the water. That boat was called Nomad and so is mine. Joe passed away a few months after that but his boat has become an Alaskan icon. Anytime I am in the area I drive by to see it and remember my friend Joe.

Link: https://www.uer.ca/locations/mainpics/norm/27998.jpg

Last edited:
Our boat came to us as the Stray Dog which had meaning to the PO, a Citadel grad where the nickname of the ball team is apparently bulldog or some such thing. I "gave the name back to him" when we came up with Frolic which seemed right for our smallish bay runner of a boat. As to the OP's question and about boat-demeaning naming, I just don't get it either, but I suspect people who hang monikers like Dirty Bastard on a vessel are simply ignoramuses about boats and quite possibly life in general, and I would not go out of my way to greet persons aboard at a pier. Call me a snob, IDGAD.

Got beer?

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean?????

My guess is it's a play on the famous old dairy slogan: got milk?

I did a play on it and created a shirt we sell in the Latitudes & Attitudes store. We've sold quite a few...

Attachments

• Got Sail.jpg
    Got Sail.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 73
Seen in a marina in Kingston, Ontario.

Attachments

• KingstonBoat.jpg
    KingstonBoat.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 123
Does anyone regret the name they gave their boat? I still shake my head over my friend who named his boat Quintessa. Sure, I get it - nice boat that's the cats meow for him. But he has an air draft of 28-feet and lives on the ICW so hails his share of bridge tenders - "How do you spell that cap'n?..........Was that an 'D' or a 'T'?......Wait, it starts with a 'Q'?.......Can you spell that again?....Heck with it - you just missed the opening. Come back in an hour, after my shift."

Prior suggestion to go with a woman's name is good - preferably a beloved/deceased relative to avoid any issues after a divorce.

My first boat was the "Viable Alternative"
Second boat was the "Better Alternative"
Third boat is the "Best Alternative"

The next boat may be the "Another Alternative" or the "Next Alternative"

My Dinghy has always been the "Alternate Alternative"

pete

My all time favorite seen in NC - "Never Again II "

Our sport fish came with the name “Skirt Chaser” which we just never got around to changing until it finally grew on us. The center console we bought to tow behind as a day boat? “Mini Skirt” of course.

My boat is named Hoosier Daddy because I am originally from Indiana, People always stop and ask which one of us is a Hoosier.

Best name I've seen was on the back of a beautiful 80 foot sailboat. In big letters across the transom it said "DON'T PANIC!"

But it was written upside down.

Last edited:
Back when I was much younger, and Echo Bay in the Broughtons was more of a fishing destination then cruising. A bunch of us were on the dock and a 50 ft or so a SV pulls in.
Across the transom in very large letters was PUSI just below that in some what smaller letters was llanimous (pusillanimous was the boats name) Sure enough 1 guy gets off with a crew of 6 or more great looking women... At that point I thought there was much more to sailing then I thought

My dad's four boats were always named Spitfire. He flew Spits performing photo reconnaissance for RCAF in WWII

With our Tollycraft named "The Office"... we named our tow behind tender "The Watercooler"

Although, because of items, we do often refer to the tender as "Mini Me" LOL

Attachments

• Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
Well we fell into the knot name bin.

For many reasons “Knot Home” fits our use of the boat. Three previous boats were “Osprey” and that’s when there was pretty good almost year around salmon fishing in the PAC NW. Now that we’re retired, if we’re not on dirt we’re ...

Dear "TF Mod Squad" - Please see if you can clear up why I'm not getting email notices from threads in which I participate. Have checked my junk mail etc... no luck! I have not received email alerts for days now. When I open up TF and go to a thread I'd posted in there will be from one to several posts put in that thread since I posted... however, no email alert came to me.

Thanks!

Art

Dear "TF Mod Squad" - Please see if you can clear up why I'm not getting email notices from threads in which I participate. Have checked my junk mail etc... no luck! I have not received email alerts for days now. When I open up TF and go to a thread I'd posted in there will be from one to several posts put in that thread since I posted... however, no email alert came to me.

Thanks!

Art

Art, I think you have to actually subscribe to a thread (Thread Tools), not just post in it.

You can also go to User CP and then Edit Options and set subscribe to all threads on which you post

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Were we to win the lottery and buy a boat, my wife and I decided we wanted a Christian name that would not scare off the civilians. Given that, the best possible name is M/Y Living Light.

We chose our boat name to match both our personalities AND the boat. We decided early on that if we got a more classic boat with style and class, we'd name her with a combination of our grandmother's names. If we got a mass production boat (which we did) we'd name her something less formal yet more personally relevant.

Hence Gopher Broke. Because we're Minnesotans (Gophers) in Wisconsin, and clearly now broke.

I don't really think it's demeaning. But it's not a boat that calls for something more formal.

If you did choose a more classic yacht, dripping with teak and brass, then your option could be "Gopher Baroque."

My wife and I sing in our church's choir (not right now of course). When we bought our trawler we were searching for a name, and one Wed night at choir practice our director was telling us to sing a bit slower - she said 'don't you see that adagio - it means 'slow movement''. As we were leaving choir practice my wife and I looked at each other - that's it - Adagio it is. I know a few other boats are named that, but it is personal to us. :thumb:

:flowers::flowers:Like wise, a quote from a party discribing a friends boat which is a mate to our 27 foot Marben, as "Incredable slow". Yes, as a displacement hull of short measurement, and powered effeciently to match, they are a 6 knot, push for 7 craft, hence, we chose "Slo~Belle" (Slow Girl). She serves us well!:thumb:

I built a very strange boat in the 70’s that was kind of a trimaran and Kind of a catamaran. I did it to utilize the hull shape as a big part of reason it could be built very light in plywood. At that time I very much admired the deep V descendants of Moppie. Moppie was the first deep V designed by Ray Hunt and it won the 500 mi ocean powerboat race to the Bahamas. But the Deep V hull required a Lot of power and consumed a lot of fuel.
So I set out to build a boat that would be smooth riding w lots of deadrise and require only a fraction of the power of most all planing boats.

I named her the Easy Rider and she was very successful at that however all the advantages were of little value as when you filled her w all the stuff one usually puts in boats she lost all of her good qualities. But as a one man’s boat running real light she was wonderful.

The picture shows her near Juneau where she was built. She always ran as level as shown here. Power was a 55hp 3cyl OB. Made 15 cruise light and 11 knots heavy w full fuel.
The dwg is a rough sketch of her lines but as you can see in the picture she was much more pointy fwd than the drawing shows.
A small duck could swim around all three "hulls" and that sorta indicated she was a tri but anyone viewing her underway would think of her as one of the sled-like nono hulls of the 60's. Cathedral hulls as they were called.

Attachments

• STH71821.JPG
    STH71821.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 67
  • STH71818.jpg
    STH71818.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
mvweebles wrote;
“Does anyone regret the name they gave their boat?”

I did. I meant to express “small trawler” and named my first trawler “Trawlerette”.

It had a female tinge to it I didn’t like.
It was bothersome to put the long name on all those transient slip forms. Almost nobody understood it the way I men’t it. I didn’t like it and nobody else did. It taught me a lesson that I was susceptible to people not liking my stuff. I previously thought I was above that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom