Farrell Trawler Rebuild Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you need a bigger shop!

But then I'd have to build a bigger boat. :D

Alright, looks like I'm centered.
IMG_1231.jpg

Safety stump gone.
IMG_1232.jpg

Ok, I got it this far, but because the ground dips below the level of the shop, the back of the trailer is rising, and I don't have one spare inch to play with.
IMG_1236.jpg

Solution: Build ramps underneath the back of the truck, and more psi in the rear tires, and 20psi in the rear airbags, to push the trailer ball up a bit. I also let air out of the trailer tires. Maybe time for 4x4 low range.....
IMG_1237.jpg

Front bunks making contact.
IMG_1238.jpg

Yep, gonna have to break out the tools, and move the front bunks. The rears barely cleared.
IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

7psi in the tires.....I wonder how flat they will look when the weight is on.
IMG_1243.jpg

Just a little bit more.....
IMG_1244.jpg

The ramp. And I think i'm close enough to start on the bunk adjusting.
IMG_1245.jpg

Tears of joy.....
IMG_1247.jpg

Had to move the anchor out of the way.
IMG_1252.jpg

Another look at my ramp.
IMG_1253.jpg

Front sling is off, front weight on the trailer. Slight sag in tires.
IMG_1251.jpg

Time to adjust rear bunks. Bunks need to be higher, so I needed new aluminum c-channel. Of course, do you think I could get an exact match. At least the new stuff is a bit thicker on the wings, which doesn't hurt considering the uprights will be longer.
IMG_1255.jpg

Using a jack to push the bunks up to match the boat.
IMG_1256.jpg

My crushed fluorescent light. Boat is lower now that the front is actually on the trailer. When the stern is resting on the trailer (not yet), I should completely clear the shop ceiling.
IMG_1259.jpg

Last edited:
Before you put it back in this fall, cut the floor of the shop down a foot. Just trying to be helpful. :flowers:

Ted

PNW Drifter, give me a rundown on your trailer if you don't mine. It looks fairly new. I will be needing one for my barge. :thumb:

Or raise the roof a couple of feet.

I have actually helped do that. We unbolted the walls from the slab and inched the building up 4.5 feet. We installed stub walls and set the building back down. It was a long weekend but we managed it without breaking any windows. The doors were still square and opened and shut without binding. Watch that first step. It's a doozy. :lol:

Save $$. Buy smaller wheels and tires for the load/unload.

Ben said
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post

I have actually helped do that. We unbolted the walls from the slab and inched the building up 4.5 feet. We installed stub walls and set the building back down. It was a long weekend but we managed it without breaking any windows. The doors were still square and opened and shut without binding. Watch that first step. It's a doozy.
______

That should be tall enough so you need not worry about the RADAR.

Ben said
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post

I have actually helped do that. We unbolted the walls from the slab and inched the building up 4.5 feet. We installed stub walls and set the building back down. It was a long weekend but we managed it without breaking any windows. The doors were still square and opened and shut without binding. Watch that first step. It's a doozy.
______

That should be tall enough so you need not worry about the RADAR.

:thumb:

Well, I got the bunks adjusted, and lowered the boat on.

I checked the trailer tongue weight and it was only 500lbs. :nonono:

So I've got to move the boat further forward. Which means re-hoisting, re-adjusting the bunks (huge PITA), and re-lowering.... but more importantly, the way the shape of the keel is, I'm going to lose some of my ceiling clearance. Boat will sit a little higher....

Yikes. Boat stays in the workshop another night.....

Last edited:
What about leaving the boat on the trailer like it is until you get it out of the barn then move it so you get more tongue weight when it is outside?

Thanks Comodave. That’s a good idea, and I will do that, if my next attempt of guessing where the boat should sit doesn’t work out. I’m halfway on the second attempt.

Thanks to everyone for your interest, and input. The boat will be in the water soon. :)

Also, I don’t remember if it was suggested to let the air out of the trailer tires to a minimum. That may buy you a couple of inches. It won’t hurt them to go a few feet at a slow speed to get out of the barn and then air them up to the proper pressure.

Last edited:
Also, I don’t remember if it was suggested to let the air out of the trailer tires to a minimum. That may buy you a couple of inches. It won’t hurt them to go a few feet at a slow speed to get out of the barn and then air them up to the proper pressure.

He stated earlier that he did that. One of the pics shows the trailer tires bulging under the weight of the boat.

Quick, put it in the water before the hull seams open up.

Ted

Light!!! There is light!!! She sees the light!!!
Congratulations!

Put to join what Ted wrote, if you keep her outside she will dissolve (look at what happened to me) so hurry up!

L

Congrats!

Bit of a relief, eh?

Where are you going to splash?

quick lock the doors before your partner claims it as her "she-shed"

Quick, put it in the water before the hull seams open up.

Ted

It rained all day!

Light!!! There is light!!! She sees the light!!!
Congratulations!

Put to join what Ted wrote, if you keep her outside she will dissolve (look at what happened to me) so hurry up!

L

Thanks Lou!

Congrats!

Bit of a relief, eh?

Where are you going to splash?

Nice to get it to a useable state. Pressure is off....:blush: Splashdown at Port Edward, hopefully this saturday. Unfortunately, I have some logistical challenges. Boat may exceed capacity of the truck, and if it does, then I require a heavy trailer code on my DL.

Ta-Dah!!!!

Its been a happy day today! :dance:

quick lock the doors before your partner claims it as her "she-shed"

Already asking for a climbing wall..... :lol:

Looking good, but I think it shrunk...

Yeah, it does look smaller - maybe after only seeingit up close for so long.

Let me try to fix that, but first....

The tongue weight. got it to what I think is 880lbs. But it seems its ok for boat trailer tongue weight to be much lower, according to some sources like boatus.com ;7-10%, and another source said even 5% was ok.... I might be able to fit the boat/trailer together in the workshop if I can move the boat forward another 16 inches.
IMG_1270.jpg

The truck scale is down, so they come to you.
IMG_1274 (1).jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

But unfortunately my driveway surface material is too loose. 4x4 low range couldn't get it done. I'm still don't know the exact weight of boat/trailer yet.
IMG_1277.jpg

Let me see if I can make the boat look bigger.......
IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_E1299.jpg

Its awesome to experience in person (am I biased? :angel:), and to be able to walk around it. I'm very happy with everything. :)

Last edited:
Nicely done. I can't wait for sea trials and your results.

...Splashdown at Port Edward...

Good plan. Then again, there's the Rainbow Summit part :eek:

MK Bay took out the boat launch dock for the time being, as that's where they're loading steel pipe onto the pile driver barge. (New slips finally going in, but the breakwater broke again so it's going to be 'bouncy' in the new section).

I'd paint the exterior before launching. You want it to look pretty too.

I'd paint the exterior before launching. You want it to look pretty too.

So when are you coming over? I'll buy the paint. Beer too. Are you good at sanding? Just be advised I'm a bit of a drive from where you live. :D

There's a fair bit of prep work to be done first, if a coat of paint is going to look its best. Its the same with bottom paint, there needs to be some filling/fairing/sanding before it can be done right.

Sadly, that will be for next time.

Good plan. Then again, there's the Rainbow Summit part :eek:

MK Bay took out the boat launch dock for the time being, as that's where they're loading steel pipe onto the pile driver barge. (New slips finally going in, but the breakwater broke again so it's going to be 'bouncy' in the new section).

I need a travel-lift anyway. Or a good tidal swing, a steep boat ramp, and a trailer tongue 20 feet longer.

I'm not too worried about Rainbow Summit. Oxygen tanks aren't needed 582ft. :rofl: The grade really isn't that bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom