"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone asked me what the difference between a trawler and a motor yacht was?

My best answer was "speed".

Yes but the motor yacht is much more pretentious.

And if you call the big ferry bearing down on you saying your the trawler on his port side ...... I'm sure if your the only one even if there are a bunch of other boats he'll know your boat. And a real trawler probably won't even enter his mind.

The only time I have a problem with somebody designating a boat as a trawler is when I do not know the specifics of the boat like hull shape power and all the other details that define what the boat really is and what it can do. I pretty much have to ignore the designation trawler when I lack the other information. The term may sell boats and enhance dreams but it does not have any remote accuracy in describing a boat it obviously means different things to different people. I can live with that and if somebody tells me they own a trawler I will if interested will judge their boat by means other than the more often than not misnomer.

Seems to me that the word "Trawler" when applied to pleasure boats of any style, shape or dimension, when originally it began being used, represented a misnomer to the highest degree.

But - Times change and concepts (word meanings) change too: The word "Trawler" is simple to remember and pronounce. As well it fits easily into onto ad copy. And, for the general boating public, the thought (dream) of big strong able bodied seamen aboard real "Trawlers" holds a certain relevance toward romantic visions. Therefore the term "Trawler" stuck as advertising hype for many types of pleasure boats. That word has become probably one of the most often used terms in the vernacular of the general boating public.

Haha Art ......
I remember you tried real hard to convince us to call your boat a trawler.
Many years ago.

Those if us that joined TF in 07 are going to be ten year vets soon. Those of us that are still at it.

Haha Art ......
I remember you tried real hard to convince us to call your boat a trawler.
Many years ago.

Those if us that joined TF in 07 are going to be ten year vets soon. Those of us that are still at it.

Hi Eric - Always good to hear from you.

Afraid you have it incorrect - I try to not call any pleasure boat a "Trawler"... ours very much included. Marin and I agreed that factor.

I missed 07 and began in 2011. Fun, informative forum.

So why argue with an owner that insists on calling his boat a trawler when your definition precludes it being called that? Just smile at him and let him enjoy his toy and call it anything he wants. Some of us may have very strict definitions of a trawler, others may be more flexible. If you take your pet out for a walk every morning and call it a cat but I know it to be a dog, in the words of Hillary "what difference does it make"?

This excerpt from "Alice In Wonderland" seems to nail it:
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master – – that's all.”

So why argue with an owner that insists on calling his boat a trawler when your definition precludes it being called that? Just smile at him and let him enjoy his toy and call it anything he wants. Some of us may have very strict definitions of a trawler, others may be more flexible. If you take your pet out for a walk every morning and call it a cat but I know it to be a dog, in the words of Hillary "what difference does it make"?

Some think a continued fun chat on a nomenclature's description points could be thought of as an argument... others do not. After all... "what difference does it make"? :popcorn: :D

Somewhere in the earlier chapters of Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship, is the "correct" description of a recreational "trawler". Nevertheless, let's enjoy our motorboats with full accommodations. Meanwhile, this (pictured in the extreme left) true (not exceeding hull speed) "trawler" needs to leave earlier than most of yours to arrive at a common time at our destination. (Faster "trawlers", Mahalo Moi (GB42) and FlyWright (Californian 34) are to the right and in the background.)

Last edited:
Hi Art

Touché'

I have always felt the best description of our type of boats, that is more inclusive and less misleading that most others, is to refer to them as 'coastal cruisers', adding 'trawler style' :socool: as an optional extra that might mean more to some than others.

Coastal cruiser immediately says powered by an engine, and capable of off-shore travel, so not your small in-shore cabin cruiser...
and the Trawler style might well bring to mind, to those in the know at least, of the hull shape being something like an oversized rowing dinghy, with spray-deflecting type bow, highish sides, and a flat stern - ie functional, as in fishing trawler, but the cruiser word signifies adapted or made to live aboard. :)

Last edited:
According to urbandictionary.com the top definition for

Trawler

A person who is too stingy or poor to pay for drinks in nightclubs so they proceed to drink the dregs of any drinks that are left unattended. They usually end up totally wasted by the end of the night, puking their guts up in the loos, because of all the different drinks they've consumed.

Pete, "coastal cruiser" is a much too kind/adventurous description of my boating. I'm a confirmed gunkholer.

Pete, "coastal cruiser" is a much too kind/adventurous description of my boating. I'm a confirmed gunkholer.

Maybeso Mark, but the Coot is eminently capable of going coastal - your inclination not to, is a choice you are able to make, but was not mandated by the design of your vessel. My case still rests... ;)

But you knew that - you just wanted me to say it, right..?
In fact, I'll go further than that. With suitable tankage, that vessel of yours is ocean capable. Well....small ocean anyway...so see how much you are underutilising your vessel. Does that make you lose sleep at nights..? No...thought not... :D

Last edited:
Mark - You ever calculated fuel required to cruise your Coot to Hawaii?? Could you carry ample fuel? Would sure be an interesting journey! Maybe Pete could be first mate...

Somewhere in the earlier chapters of Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship, is the "correct" description of a recreational "trawler".

And who appointed Chapman's as the gospel on the subject? While it may be an informed opinion on the definition, it is just one opinion. The definitions of terms change over the years too based on acceptable usage. We could find a long list of words than no longer mean what they once did. There was a time where linguists were considered the ones to listen to, but not many of then are simply considered pedantic.

According to urbandictionary.com the top definition for

Trawler

A person who is too stingy or poor to pay for drinks in nightclubs so they proceed to drink the dregs of any drinks that are left unattended. They usually end up totally wasted by the end of the night, puking their guts up in the loos, because of all the different drinks they've consumed.

That can't be right... those are sailors. :-D

Mark - You ever calculated fuel required to cruise your Coot to Hawaii?? Could you carry ample fuel? Would sure be an interesting journey! Maybe Pete could be first mate...

Have the range to get to Seattle but not Hawaii, with fuel capacity of 318 gallons.

Have you considered inflatable bladders if you really want to make the trip? Plus it appears you have sails if needed.

Jay,
Indeed.
But it boils down to "Heavy Cruiser"
But if some still want to talk .....
Gotta talk about something ...
Or we cease to exist.

Jay,
Indeed.
But it boils down to "Heavy Cruiser"
But if some still want to talk .....
Gotta talk about something ...
Or we cease to exist.

Face it - Eric is purely correct! Especially in the last two lines!! Thank you Eric.

I'm sure there are myriad of reasons why some on TF continue to post and read posts and then post again and again.

I know my reason: I spend much time at computer for work/fun related reasons. Work/fun things that I love to do... which is... inventing, conceiving and follow through. Thank God for computers... of course, also thank Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Steve and Steve of Apple, Arthur Watson (IBM) and many others!

Soooo... The reason I contribute to TF is because boats/marine-stuff is my best liked pass time. And, TF members in general are a great bunch of yahoos to chat with about something that was etched into my core from first year of life. TF site itself as well as email notices for threads to which I've joined give me opportunity to follow and/or contribute posts. This often gives me opportunity to turn my head off [at least for a few minutes] from the in-depth thought provoking items of which I may be spotlighting at the time.

This morning, starting at 4:30 AM, I've written full documents that are being sent to several important persons regarding two different business endeavors I own as well as a product collaboration to which I belong.

During these 7.5 hours of work/fun this morning I probably received fifteen +/- email alerts from TF and I've posted at least a few times on things that interest me. Now, as it's 1 minute to noon here, I plan to leave my desk for accomplishing out of office activities. I will surely check email later in day/eve and will likely be further amused my posts on TF... may even post a couple times myself.

:D

Art

Not sure I agree with "Gotta talk about something ...
Or we cease to exist."

I think I would like to try not talking to the wife and see if I can
exist! LOL

The local trawlers here have very limited living accomodations.

Not you guys, only me. It's worth a try for me. LOL

It does make a difference to me if a person actually thinks his dog is a cat it tells me he is thinking and maybe living in an alternate reality and my dealings with that person would have to be modified to take that in to account with all possible contacts. I don't think the trawler thing is that extreme but it certainly is a sloppy use of language to describe what could otherwise be done with much greater meaning and accuracy. Considering our recent national election getting in a snit over the misnomer trawler is inconsequential when half the country is probably living in an alternate reality.

And particularly if you are one of the ones in that alternate reality.

Where I come from, the experienced boaters, marinas, bridges, commercial vessels, military, USCG all seem to have an idea what a pleasure trawler is...it's the people here on TF THAT don't that kinda scares me

And particularly if you are one of the ones in that alternate reality.

Where I come from, the experienced boaters, marinas, bridges, commercial vessels, military, USCG all seem to have an idea what a pleasure trawler is...it's the people here on TF THAT don't that kinda scares me

Nah, it just proves how pedantic we as a group really are. If we where not this particular thread would have died at post 4

Back
Top Bottom