How much below listing price to offer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great suggestions indeed. I am getting ready to potentially make another offer and these have all been solid approaches to real world experiences. It's funny I had a broker today ask, why are you looking at XYZ $$ when your budget is lower. My answer, you truly never know what a sellers motivation level is and what they are willing to entertain. I am a serious buyer, having owned power boats from 22-34 and ready for my next cruiser with 2 staterooms. I have put my finances in order so not to waist my time, the sellers or brokers. When it comes by - I'll make another offer of what I feel the boat is worth considering condition, value to me, updates/upgrades needed or repairs which are known to be needed.

bshillam

Logical approach. Good hunting!

Stan,you are both a seller and a buyer. What % would you put on top of what you really want for your boat? There is usually something so buyers think they got a deal, but there are boats advertised here as "not negotiable" or "firm", not common but it happens, and they still sell.
I don`t think there is an accepted " negotiation margin" percentage. It`s as variable as sellers themselves. Even accessing "solds" requires a handle on condition to make the sale price comparable, your boat may be better or worse, so sale data still needs human input adjustment to be an accurate guide. And there are desperation sales, which can mislead.
There is a saying "quality endures after price is forgotten". Be prepared to pay for quality, it may save you $ in the longer run. Don`t assume a price is padded but equally, don`t overpay. As you look at boats of a certain make, age, and condition you will get a feel for price, more so if you can get access to "sold" prices.
I wish you well with both the sale and the purchase.

- Doing research on the best boat to fill your needs is the primary goal. Buying a boat 'twice' because the first one missed the mark is the largest cost.
- The cost of any boat is not just the acquisition cost but the cost to acquire, move .repair and upgrade to your needs. Do not let one of these become the only factor you look at.
- A good deal is rarely a cheap deal and a cheap deal is rarely a good deal. Condition is a large factor and you are buying the previous owners as much as the boat. Consider the records, information and treatment of the boat and the machinery as part of your purchase - it will pat later on for sure.

I have recently seen what happens when people only look at internet pricing and lists and are more concerned about dockside bragging rights on pries rather than the reasons they spurred them into the market in the first place.
Good luck and by all means have fun

Soldboats.com is great for boats less than 7 years old. After that the key factors are condition, condition and condition.
I have never been able to determine a percentage from listing price the boat will sell for. Buying a boat is an emotional decision not just dollars and cents. A seller that personally did most of the work may be insulted by an offer, the same boat that was yard maintained my not have the attachment by the seller.
Time on the market is critical, sellers are more open to offers as time goes by.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom