thinking about a drone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've lost three drones in the water. I would definitely go for a waterproof drone like that one.

I bought a Swellpro splash drone 4. Swellpro is a terribly engineer piece of garbage. I wasted $3000 to fly it an hour before the camera was damaged by salt water. They are marketed as waterproof but are pure chinese crap. Buy anything else, but don’t waste money on a Swellpro. Research reviews. It won’t take long.

After hearing Capt John, I change my suggestion. I would go with something like a DJI Mavic Mini like others have suggested. Flying over water does involve risk, but you can lose a DJI Mavic Mini in the water, and replace it with refurbished model (without the battery or rotor blades) for about $300. And you would still be way ahead of spending $3,000. I did that twice. Lost two drones in the water, each my fault. But I replaced them both with $300 refurbished bodies and I was back in business. I already had the controller, my extra batteries and rotor blades. It really wasn't that big a deal. Food for thought

Kevin, that is drone I have been considering as well, and have not pull trigger on it, I still thing for a bigger, on boat that is choice I am going to go with, love the waterproof controller as well as return to controller featers. I have many drones go for swim, a few during Cubar that were operated by profession videographer, he said that is why is travels with at least 3. Just my two cents...the only hold back for me is size as it would be nice to have smaller package. Also, I am unclear what is required in Mexico or if you really need to be worried about it if your use is in remote areas, which is what my thoughts are (ie checking out beaches and coves without having go into with boat or tender

To answer some questions/comments various people have been asking:
1. Don't confuse drone registration with drone pilot licensing. All drones, except the smallest drones that weigh .55 oz or less, need to be registered with the FAA.

2. "Drone Pilot Licensing" refers to whether the pilot him/herself needs to be licensed under FAA regulations, known as "Part 107" regulations. Part 107 has to do with what you are using your drone for. And the question of what you are using your drone for is irrespective of size/weight of the drone and whether it is registered with the FAA. If you are going to use your drone purely for "recreational" (having fun) purposes, then no license is necessary. However if you are going to use your drone for any commercial purposes, paid or unpaid (using your footage on your YouTube videos is considered to be commercial) the pilot needs to be certified by the FAA under Part 107. And passing the Part 107 test is not easy. If you get caught flying your drone for commercial purposes (remember Youtube) without this license, you could face some pretty hefty fines from the FAA.

3. Flying in restricted air space and is flying over water unrestricted?. You can fly in certain restricted air space if you have advanced permission by the FAA. You can achieve that permission electronically via an app on you phone. You should not assume that flying over water is unrestricted air space. Every pilot (licensed or recreational) is required to know whether they are flying in restricted or unrestricted air space. Getting caught flying in restricted air space can be pretty serious thing and can result in hefty fines. But as a practical matter, the geo fencing features built into most drones won't even allow you to fly in restricted airspace anyway (particularly DJI drones). It is built into the drone software, and won't allow you to take off in a restricted area, or won't allow you to fly into restricted air space. Many airports are at or near the water and the approaches to those airports are restricted air space. Never assume that flying over water is unrestricted.

4. Flying over water and the need for a waterproof drone. The problem with wanting a waterproof drone has more to do with cost and drone quality. My understanding is that drones that are marketed as waterproof may not be good quality and they can be very expensive (upwards of $3,000 +). So you need to be smart and you should do the math. It may be more cost effective to buy a good quality drone for a fraction of the cost of a waterproof one, and then take the risks associated with flying that drone over water or off a boat. Mitigate those risks by understanding "return to home" functions, especially from a moving boat. And don't attempt to launch or retrieve a drone from a moving boat. Always stop the boat before launching or retrieving it. Then if the worst happens, and the drone falls into the water (it has happened to me 3 times), then write it off as a cost of the hobby, but then replace the body of the drone with the body-only version for about $300. You already have spare propellers, batteries and you have the drone controller and accessories, so all you need to replace is the body. Again do the math. And finally, don't be fooled into buying drone insurance. Drone insurance requires you to return the drone to the manufacturer in order to file a claim for replacement. That is impossible if the drone is in 50 feet of water.

All food for thought.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom