Shipping an Island Gypsy 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCE

We are in the market for a 32' Island Gypsy Europa and live on the west coast. We're willing to buy the right boat elsewhere but I cannot find any information about trucking the IG32 so I could use some help. Can these boats be trucked interstate? Do they have to have the flybridge removed (if possible)? Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to TF, DCE. It might pay, if you haven't already, to put a specific request re the boat type you want in the Classifieds section under Boats Wanted, here...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s74/

I have also taken the liberty of moving your post here to the Welcome Mat area. :)

Last edited:
I have also taken the liberty of moving your post
It seems to me this request was more about transporting than buying, and placing it in this out of the way spot isn't the most helpful.

DCE, yes that boat could be transported and flybridge removal will depend on the route taken for delivery.

There have been a number of threads about land and sea transport. With some patient searching you will find some.

Bridge re & re and transport may be cost prohibitive though.

I recently got a quote to move a 30' Cruise a Home to the mid west from the west coast, about 1700 miles, 20K, boat needs to be under 16'.

Almost certainly the bridge would have to come off. And that depends on how the bridge is attached, whether it is just screwed on or is it glassed on. Taking the bridge off can lead to future leaks and wiring issues. It is almost always easier and cheaper to buy in your region. Or buy a boat that doesn’t have a bridge. Good luck which ever way you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-105532_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220429-105532_Gallery.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
Unless the ship is American flagged, very few are, you can’t ship from one port in America to another port in America. Besides putting an IG32 on a ship would cost more than it is worth. It is very expensive. Even trucking a boat is very expensive now but not as expensive as a ship.

Agreed, cost is prohibitive. That aside, load it in the Bahamas, or unload in Ensenada or maybe Vancouver.
Or better, buy a west coast boat.

Look into shipping by freighter

In 2020 we shipped our Natuicat 44 (a trawler that happens to have sails) from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, to Victoria, BC. With foreign-flagged vessels not allowed to ship between United States ports, the two ports on the North American west coast that were available to us were Ensenada, Mexico, and Victoria. Height is the significant restriction with trucking. For us it was cheaper by sea even without the height issue. We got quotes from all three carriers and chose the least expensive. We found their service very professional.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom