1st winter storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
So far we got about 10 inches,had work off and all hunkered down nice and warm and cozy,totally peaceful and such a relaxing comfy day,all the hard work of rigging her up for New England winters has paid off big time,temp inside is 80 the hygrometer is at 28 percent,and have the crock pot going with some chili,and life is good

Attachments

• 20220107_115753.jpg
    20220107_115753.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
Brrrrrr.....
I'm getting chills just looking at that picture....:ermm:

Pray tell, how do you keep it so warm inside? Reverse A/C??? Or perhaps a couple of electric heaters?
The AT comes with 2 installed resistance heaters but, I doubt if it will keep the boat 80f inside. I do know, when the 2 electric heater are turned on the 30amp leg is 'full'. I do have an electric stove and oven which will not 'fit' if the 2 heaters are on. maybe I can make coffee off the inverter. Never tried.
I will have to investigate running one heater and see if I have enough room for a couple stove coils.
Of course in the Ft Lauderdale area of FL we dont get that many cold days. :D

If all else fails, start the generator and or the main engine and when the engine room heats up or while running the main engine, remove the engine room access panels and let the heat out.

1st storm

To answer both questions with the same reply,first the f’oclse is insulated to about 20r value,and have Dickinson Antarctic with double turn mounted in f’oclse that is hooked up to thermostat bypass with small Teflon circulating pump,with that on medium it heats up f’oclse to 80 and the engine block is about 70ish,also have Chinese diesel heater mounted so it blows half the heat under steps leading to f’ocsle And other half into engine compartment to warm battery bank,the exhaust I ran for that is a 12 ft copper pipe that runs whole length of engine compartment and gets gives off good heat as well,also leave 1 of the engine compartment covers off for circulation purposes,and keeps engine compartment dry and warm,I fill my water tanks 200 gallons and have a 1500 w ceramic heater in compartment with tanks I turn on when it’s below freezing and never had a problem,that is one of my favorite photos the 36 sedan has such lovely lines,such a salty looking rig

Last edited:
If anyone has "f'oclse" in Nautical Term Bingo, I think you just won!! Tough luck if you had "v-berth" or "forward stateroom" Better luck next time

So far we got about 10 inches,had work off and all hunkered down nice and warm and cozy,totally peaceful and such a relaxing comfy day,all the hard work of rigging her up for New England winters has paid off big time,temp inside is 80 the hygrometer is at 28 percent,and have the crock pot going with some chili,and life is good

Sounds like you could use a bit more humidity in there before any wood/wood veneers begin to crack.

Good responses so far but the Big question is when the electric is down for a week or 10 days , what is the live comfortable plan then?

It does happen in a big storm , the hospitals , police station businesses and housing gets priority , the marina? , seldom.

Good responses so far but the Big question is when the electric is down for a week or 10 days , what is the live comfortable plan then?

It does happen in a big storm , the hospitals , police station businesses and housing gets priority , the marina? , seldom.

Start the generator and or main engine (for heat)

In our case, the marina and surrounding condos are on the same leg as the hospital. I'm sure they can divorce the condos and marina from the hospital but why bother. Good press, "more than 5000(?) people got their power back"

We can play the "if" game all day long. If a wandering ice berg puts a hole in the boat...., if too much snow on the boat tha the boat tips over....

Last edited:

Provided you've got diesel heat, full fuel tanks and a genset, surviving winter power outages should be easy enough when prepped like lost sailor.

FF; said:
Good responses so far but the Big question is when the electric is down for a week or 10 days , what is the live comfortable plan then.
:lol:
Now if that isn't a modern day problem, apparently unsolvable to some. When you live in an area known to produce such events, you prepare.

I’d also bet there are more than a few on here who have spent a portion of their lives without electricity, or running water.

Following up on my linked story, hydro crews had to be helicoptered in, to get some communities going again.
https://tinyurl.com/yef7phjn

A friend lived aboard in Wickford, RI for many winters, never lost power for more than a couple of minutes.

Up here no in water wintering possible but even at dirt home you better be prepared in case of power failure. -27C at noon, with no power you don't last long.

L

I spent a couple of winters in the water in Toronto. Reasonably comfortable under a well ventilated shrink wrap cover, with temps down to about -20C at times.

Keeping bubblers going was a concern there in case of an extended power outage. But the municipal marina was recognized as a residential community and had a robust DRP and city support for maintaining services.

What do you do when you're living on the hook and while cruising? Is this meant to be a serious question for trawler owners? Just curious.

What do you do when you're living on the hook and while cruising? Is this meant to be a serious question for trawler owners? Just curious.

Easy answers, motor further south, when engine is hot, open one or two engine room access points. Or start the generator and use sparingly. Plan on buying 5-10 gallons of fuel every time you go ashore.

Easy answers, motor further south, when engine is hot, open one or two engine room access points. Or start the generator and use sparingly. Plan on buying 5-10 gallons of fuel every time you go ashore.

The question was meant to be rhetorical. A cruiser or live-aboard would not even need to think about it. Living w/o having to rely on dock-provided services is normal, not an emergency or hardship. The question was, "Are you seriously asking us what we would do if the power goes out?"

Last edited:
This weekend should test those living aboard up there.

Wifey B: He's not in Texas on their own failed system. :eek:

She is a beauty. This is our first winter up North. We have been Gulf of Mexico sailors. If it got to 32° I would think i was in the artic...lol Now if the thermometer says 32° I think oh great, its warming up.

Well it's -3 here right now, and wind-chill is -15-20, but much better than last couple days of -17-20 with howling winds and wind-chill -40+. The woodstove is running well, and I am VERY HAPPY having a beer and celebrating my retirement day today. :dance:

Wifey B: Frigid cold here. Was in the 50's last night and 60's tonight and more 50's coming. Just low 70's today. Even some moving inside from our patio. Thank goodness pools are heated. Still had a nice day on the water. :D

I am a bit south of Ft Lauderdale, mile marker 1075+. Today I went grocery shopping. I put on long pants and wore a sweater. I was almost almost too warm. The remote thermometer has stopped working so all I know for sure, mornings are cold. :) Life is rough. :D

I am a bit south of Ft Lauderdale, mile marker 1075+. Today I went grocery shopping. I put on long pants and wore a sweater. I was almost almost too warm. The remote thermometer has stopped working so all I know for sure, mornings are cold. :) Life is rough. :D

I remember when we moved here. First time the temperature dropped below 70, all the locals put on sweaters and jackets. We laughed. We're as bad now.

It topped out at 8 here today. Marina and river are both iced over, but the boat is happily snoozing on land.

It’s been single digits for 2 days with wind chill even colder,and woke up this morning and it’s 6 degrees again,and it’s supposed to snow again tonight,I’ve used about 5 gallons of diesel so far this weekend between the Dickinson and Chinese diesel heater and the boat has been 80 degrees all weekend the hygrometer is down to 15% that’s the lowest it’s ever been

It’s been single digits for 2 days with wind chill even colder,and woke up this morning and it’s 6 degrees again,and it’s supposed to snow again tonight,I’ve used about 5 gallons of diesel so far this weekend between the Dickinson and Chinese diesel heater and the boat has been 80 degrees all weekend the hygrometer is down to 15% that’s the lowest it’s ever been

Sounds like you are safe, warm and secure. I am happy for you. :thumb:

Bring the beer inside so it doesn't freeze. Put the meat outside somewhere so it stays frozen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom