Instruments problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CourtT

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
2008 North Pacific 36 (previously CHB)
A few weeks ago my 2008 North Pacific 36 (formerly CHB) with single Yanmar 4BY-180 diesel started up properly but none of the instruments at the lower helm were working. No tachometer reading, no oil pressure, no coolant temperature, and no digital read-outs, which is part of the tachometer. Strangely, the upper helm instruments were working properly. Nobody has been able to figure out yet what the problem is. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Welcome aboard. My first guess is that you lost a ground since all of the gauges quit at the same time. Check all the ground connections for corrosion and being tight. Good luck.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, eh? X3-ground(s). Also check any "dodgy" crimp connections in your grounding circuits.

Good point. Thank you.
i must add though, that when you first turn the key to start, the needles on the instruments will swing over to maximum and then settle at 0, not to move again ??

Greetings,
Mr. CT. Might still be a bad ground. Just enough contact to zero gauges but unable to pass any current. Get some Scotchbright pads and some fine garnet sandpaper (emery is conductive, evidently), a tube of dielectric grease and a small wire brush and clean everything up. Also, a small artist's paint brush is nice for applying more precise amounts of dielectric grease.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom