Which adhesive for mass loaded vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure thing guys.

@FlyWright, did you install the Sundown under your carpet or in another area? I was wondering if that could be used on bulkheads to provide some more privacy between cabins, for example.

Sure thing guys.

@FlyWright, did you install the Sundown under your carpet or in another area? I was wondering if that could be used on bulkheads to provide some more privacy between cabins, for example.

Only as a carpet underlayment. Click the link in my post above and the thread describes it and includes photos and measurements.

The carpet underlayment has a mass loaded vinyl layer bonded to a medium density carpet pad. The MLV layer goes UP. The pad acts as a decoupler and provides a very plush feel underfoot.
For privacy 1lb MLV alone is typically adequate for walls that abut other cabins or passageways, for walls that abut the engine room 2lb would be recommended.
Of course, if you have a bunch of 2lb on hand, more is better

:socool:

Attachments

• carpetprem ILC.jpg
    carpetprem ILC.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
To followup, I had some remaining material which I applied to the plastic intake box which sits on the carburetors. I assumed that a lot of noise comes through the carbs, which face directly forward to the steering station. Cover the entire box.

Today measured 78db, versus the previous 80db, so it was not much of an improvement. Still rather loud for me, but the only way to get an old 2-stroke quieter is to turn it off!

Ha

Thanks for the follow-up to the follow up :)

Did you ever end up doing the remaining 1/3 of the cowling? Or is it still (just) the forward 2/3 plus the addition to the intake box?

Ha! on the "quiet it down by turning it off." 0 db!

IIRC, a 10 dB reduction is a 50% reduction in signal or noise. If that's accurate, you might have more improvement that it appears. 2dB/10dB = 20%...20% of 50% = 10% less noise. That is significant, IMO.

I may be misremembering the details...please correct me if I'm wrong.

@Frosty, yes I did finish the small remaining side areas as well.

@Fly, I think your math is probably correct. I know that sound levels are logarithmic, and logarithmic scales always confused me in school.

I think the conclusion of all this is that even for a small dinghy outboard, it is worthwhile to treat the cowling (even 1lb MLV is better than nothing). This is especially true for a 2-stroke but personally I would for a 4 also.

Don’t get me started on my old Gray Marine Jimmies !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom