Northern Lights Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rochepoint

Guru
Vessel Name
Roche Point
Vessel Make
1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We have a M643 Northern Lights generator, the other day I went to start it up for a little excersize and after it warmed up for a couple of minutes turned the selector switch to generator and no 110 volts......zero. Checked all the fuses and replace the circuit breaker marked "fuse" because I broke it trying to get at the fuse.....:facepalm:. All the service techs around here are busy for 3-4 weeks, just wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas for a generator simpleton......:thumb:

Looking at the front of the unit, there is a switch at the upper left that must be in the on position to generate. I have frequently bumped it into the off position while working next to the genset.

Looking at the front of the unit, there is a switch at the upper left that must be in the on position to generate. I have frequently bumped it into the off position while working next to the genset.

You’re not alone on that one. :facepalm: :lol:

1) Every gen has an output breaker somewhere. Start at the generator end terminal box ( most likely place ) and follow the cables to the transfer switches and panel.
2) Break out the generator manual troubleshooting section.
3) If that doesn’t work, get out the DVM and track down where you lose power.

Check your gen/shore power switch to see if it’s getting power to that. Sometimes those things go bad.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Went to the boat today with a friend who know a little more about the generator than I do, he played with some wires, tightened some connectors and checked a few things with meter, we started it up and low and behold it started making power. Don't know if anything we did helped but I sure hope it just needed a week off..........:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom