Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Croix du Sud's Avatar
 
City: Aix en Provence
Vessel Name: Croix du Sud
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Europa # 842
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 38
Greenline batteries

Hi all
Just an info. Two Greenline 39 are homeported in Bandol, next to me. One is 2017 built and suffered a battery collapse in summer 2021 after 4 years of service. The other one is 2018 built and had a similar mishap week past, after 4 years too (one battery element inflated with severe hydrogen diffusion leading to vacate the boat).
In both cases, the local dealer denied any responsibility despite these lithium batteries are covered by a 10-year guarantee.
Furthermore, Replacement batteries banks were unavailable (for the summer boating season, I mean). And cost is killing.
Did any of folks hear about such problems ?
Thanks for reading
JeanL
Croix du Sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,497
10 year guarantee? Really?? I would be surprised.

When I bought my GL33, the marketing was that the LiPo battery had a 10 year estimated lifespan. There was never any mention of a 10 year guarantee - but that was a long time ago. Maybe things are different now?? Nevertheless, I would expect to get more than 4 years out of the hybrid battery -- IF PROPERLY CARED FOR.

I got 8 1/2 years out of mine, before I had to order a new one from the factory (SVP Yachts). Mine did not "collapse" but it was showing some initial signs of weakening. A couple of the 13 cells had a bit higher resistance than they should have had. I probably could have gone for another year on it, but I decided to change it out because I was about to embark on a multi-year trip.

By "properly cared for", I mean that the battery was never subjected to overcharging (due to faulty BMS, BMS configuration, Victron charger configuration or Victron solar charge controller configuration). i also mean that the battery was never allowed to go below about 42 volts. On my GL33, the instructions say that it should never be run below 44 volts. If the voltage is allowed to get too low, the battery will collapse and most likely will not be able to be revived. I know there are steps to revive batteries that have collapsed from too-low voltage, but success is not always guaranteed.

I've heard about a couple of GL33's that had to have their batteries replaced due to collapse as a result of the storage yard not applying a maintenance charge when they should have (for example once per month). Leaving the battery on Float at ~54v all year around not ideal either. The battery's life is enhanced if it is kept somewhere closer to 48v when sitting for long periods of time. Personally, I have my storage yard plug in the shore power for 1 day about once per month, which results in roughly an average monthly voltage of 48-50v. Also, you want to make sure no charging is done at 5 degrees C or below. Doing so could also harm the battery.

Of course, it could really be possible that a cell in the battery has a manufacturing defect, but I have been told that if that's the case, the problem would manifest itself very early in the battery's life. I honestly don't know whether that's true or not, but it seems to make sense.

And yes, they are fiendishly expensive. I contemplated going my own route with a local supplier of a different battery, but decided against it in the end, as I wanted a "plug-and-play" replacement, complete with new BMS and updated configuration from the factory. This was because, as I already mentioned, I was about to embark on a multi-year trip with the boat. It was also because I did not want to have any exposure from an insurance/liability standpoint because I changed the factory spec'd system to something else.


Given the size of the battery investment, I jumped at the opportunity to install a Victron Global Remote accessory when it hit the market many years ago. With this, I can get sms and e-mail alerts if the voltage ever becomes too low. I can also get about a zillion other bits of information via an associated App, as well as SMS commands. So, when I'm expecting a storage yard to apply a charge monthly and they don't, for whatever reason, I can see it immediately and call them on the phone.
__________________
Scott
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 21,055
The LiFePO4s that I put in our last boat had a lifetime warranty. 10 years seems short. We used Lion Energy ones. They estimated 3500+ cycles to 20% I think.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
Croix du Sud's Avatar
 
City: Aix en Provence
Vessel Name: Croix du Sud
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Europa # 842
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 38
Greenline troubles

Thanks Scott and Dave
Life expectancy ? Guarantee ? A possible confusion, deliberate or not ….
Scott, your statement is a gold mine and I certainly will pass this info on to the Greenline owners here.
Many thanks on behalf of both of them
All the best
JeanL
Croix du Sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:42 AM   #5
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,497
I would also highly recommend the installation of one of these (if they have a REC BMS) or the equivalent if their BMS is from another manufacturer:
https://www.nothnagel-marine.de/medi...rManualLCD.pdf


https://www.rec-bms.com/rec-accessories/


This is how I knew that the resistance was high on a couple of my cells (along with factory review of my data). This is also how one can tell if a cell is beginning to collapse and proactively prevent any emergency/dangerous situation.


I don't readily find these devices for sale on line anymore. It is my guess that the newer Greenlines come with a newer REC (or other manufacturer) BMS that has Blue Tooth capability and can provide this data directly to a smartphone app.
__________________
Scott
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member
 
Gypsy Island's Avatar
 
City: Manching
Vessel Name: PANAMA
Vessel Model: Kong & Halvorsen, Island Gypsy 51
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croix du Sud View Post
Hi all
Just an info. Two Greenline 39 are homeported in Bandol, next to me. One is 2017 built and suffered a battery collapse in summer 2021 after 4 years of service. The other one is 2018 built and had a similar mishap week past, after 4 years too (one battery element inflated with severe hydrogen diffusion leading to vacate the boat).
In both cases, the local dealer denied any responsibility despite these lithium batteries are covered by a 10-year guarantee.
Furthermore, Replacement batteries banks were unavailable (for the summer boating season, I mean). And cost is killing.
Did any of folks hear about such problems ?
Thanks for reading
JeanL
Hi Croix du Sud,

here in Germany we had a really big explosion of a Greenline 33 in Marina Minden in July 2017. It was filmed by a dronepilot. You can watch the video on this site: http://https://www.boote-forum.de/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mt.de%2Flokales% 2Fminden%2F21851359_Drohnenpilot-filmt-Explosion-unabsichtlich-bete-fuer-die-Verletzten.html&token=5c2724588a818587b7feffb9ea7c 2621

As i remember, the owner had issues with the battery but could not deal with it, so a technician came and isolated the battery from the boats electrics. Unfortunately a few days later, the battery started to fume, so the fire department was alarmed. Just at the time when two firefighters were on the boat, the explosion happend. Both lost their legs but survived ...very sad story.

And there was a second greenline burning in germany, but i don't remember the exact circumstances. There should be a video on YouTube.

Gyp
Gypsy Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #7
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,497
I had heard about these two in Germany and yes, I found this distressing at the time. But, I’ve not heard about anything like these two cases before or since.

I have also heard about lithium-based battery fires on the occasional Tesla. And then there were the jets...

My conclusion? Take great care of your battery. Make sure it is not abused. Monitor it (hence my BMS LCD monitor recommendation). Be proactive if any cell voltages or resistances look “off”. Don’t ignore any weird battery performance issues if they appear. I know for a fact that one of these German boats was a charter. We all know how much "experienced" attention these batteries are likely to get by charter users…
__________________
Scott
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
CMS
Senior Member


 
City: Casco Bay
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croix du Sud View Post
Hi all
Just an info. Two Greenline 39 are homeported in Bandol, next to me. One is 2017 built and suffered a battery collapse in summer 2021 after 4 years of service. The other one is 2018 built and had a similar mishap week past, after 4 years too (one battery element inflated with severe hydrogen diffusion leading to vacate the boat).
In both cases, the local dealer denied any responsibility despite these lithium batteries are covered by a 10-year guarantee.
Furthermore, Replacement batteries banks were unavailable (for the summer boating season, I mean). And cost is killing.
Did any of folks hear about such problems ?
Thanks for reading
JeanL
Greenline uses Lithium Polymer batteries not LiFePO4. Li-Po is a highly volatile lithium chemistry. We had a customer approach us to do some work on his Greenline. Sorry, no, we won't touch Li-Po on a boat.. LiFePO4 sure, but no way on Li-Po.
__________________
-CMS
MarineHowTo.com
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:40 PM   #9
Newbie
 
City: Woodinville
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
We are considering getting our first boat, and live in the Seattle area. We are a family of 4 with fast-growing kids at age 8-10. We would use the boat frequently for tooling around Lake Washington, and a few times a year, heading out on the salt for island hopping for a week or so at a time. We don't care about going fast unless it is to outrun weather, the point of boating for us is the journey, the family time, and the scenery.

My wife and I really like the idea of Hybrid for short days out for a floating picnic on the lake, navigating the marinas and anchorages in the islands without the diesel noise and smell, and trying to save some fuel. We also like the idea of a high-capacity battery for running electric loads at anchor without running a generator.

We are really tempted to get a Greenline 40 hybrid, especially if we could find one on the market used in the US (I don't see any listed at the moment). My concerns are the following, and I would appreciate any wisdom from current owners or others with expertise.

1. Does GL really use LiPo batteries, and if so, how is that not a safety concern? Why would they not have used LiFePO4 instead? Is this something I should worry about, or should I just trust GL that they know what they are doing?
2. How fussy are the batteries? I would want to leave the boat plugged in on shore power in a local marina when not in use, but also to maintain a reasonable state of charge, and it can get below 5 degrees C in my area in the winter (but almost never below -5). I was hoping to just use some electric heaters to avoid winterizing the boat so we can use it year-round, so perhaps I could just use those to maintain an internal temperature that is sufficient to keep the batteries happy?
3. For those who got the hybrid drive, would you definitely do so again? Does anyone regret getting it, and if, so why?

I appreciate anyone willing to share their perspective.

-Tim
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:09 PM   #10
Valued Technical Contributor
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,761
As CMS says above, stay away from Li-PO batteries which is what are used in GL boats. They are much, much more prone to fires than LiFePO4 batteries.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:02 PM   #11
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Vermont
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,032
Also check for insurance coverage in advance. I know one company that won't cover Greenline's.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:25 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Nashville, TN
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 14
I am an actual Greenline 39 owner.
- The batteries are LiFePO4. I have verified this from 2 different sources including the owner's manual. Perhaps they have switched to these in later production runs. I had no trouble getting the boat insured by Chubb. I am not sure where some of the other information is coming from but it seems inconsistent. Greenline has been making hybrids for over a decade, they are definitely up the learning curve and seem to have their act together.
- You can definitely leave the boat plugged into shore power and let them stay on charge. I also use small heaters on in the boat but not for the batteries, just to keep the moisture and mildew away. (Also in PNW.)
- I would definitely get a hybrid drive again for reasons I have articulated elsewhere in the forum. However, I would probably add an additional battery pack for additional flexibility.

Jon
jllehman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Slowmo's Avatar
 
City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
We are considering getting our first boat, and live in the Seattle area. We are a family of 4 with fast-growing kids at age 8-10. We would use the boat frequently for tooling around Lake Washington, and a few times a year, heading out on the salt for island hopping for a week or so at a time. We don't care about going fast unless it is to outrun weather, the point of boating for us is the journey, the family time, and the scenery.

My wife and I really like the idea of Hybrid for short days out for a floating picnic on the lake, navigating the marinas and anchorages in the islands without the diesel noise and smell, and trying to save some fuel. We also like the idea of a high-capacity battery for running electric loads at anchor without running a generator.

We are really tempted to get a Greenline 40 hybrid, especially if we could find one on the market used in the US (I don't see any listed at the moment). My concerns are the following, and I would appreciate any wisdom from current owners or others with expertise.

1. Does GL really use LiPo batteries, and if so, how is that not a safety concern? Why would they not have used LiFePO4 instead? Is this something I should worry about, or should I just trust GL that they know what they are doing?
2. How fussy are the batteries? I would want to leave the boat plugged in on shore power in a local marina when not in use, but also to maintain a reasonable state of charge, and it can get below 5 degrees C in my area in the winter (but almost never below -5). I was hoping to just use some electric heaters to avoid winterizing the boat so we can use it year-round, so perhaps I could just use those to maintain an internal temperature that is sufficient to keep the batteries happy?
3. For those who got the hybrid drive, would you definitely do so again? Does anyone regret getting it, and if, so why?

I appreciate anyone willing to share their perspective.

-Tim
I think you really need to think of what you want to do with the boat and whether you should limit your selection to the Greenline. There's been enough said about battery concerns elsewhere so I'll focus other factors. If fuel savings is your driver on Greenline I can assure you that fuel cost is a minor part of ownership cost, at least in my experience. The other issue with Greenline is that early versions of it used marinized VW TDi engines. This may be common in Europe but in the US and Canada they're not a common marine engine meaning parts and service may be difficult, especially away from a big city. Lastly the Greenline market is really small, so your selection of used craft is limited. Boats like Grand Banks are common and you have a selection of several at any given time, but setting your heart on something like a Greenline could mean a big delay The fun part of having a boat is being out there, the propulsion system is secondary. Your children are the perfect age to introduce them to boating, before teenagerdom sets in.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:40 AM   #14
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Vermont
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllehman86 View Post
I am an actual Greenline 39 owner.
- The batteries are LiFePO4. I have verified this from 2 different sources including the owner's manual. Perhaps they have switched to these in later production runs. I had no trouble getting the boat insured by Chubb. I am not sure where some of the other information is coming from but it seems inconsistent. Greenline has been making hybrids for over a decade, they are definitely up the learning curve and seem to have their act together.
- You can definitely leave the boat plugged into shore power and let them stay on charge. I also use small heaters on in the boat but not for the batteries, just to keep the moisture and mildew away. (Also in PNW.)
- I would definitely get a hybrid drive again for reasons I have articulated elsewhere in the forum. However, I would probably add an additional battery pack for additional flexibility.

Jon


The material I am reading from Greenline says the batteries are Li-Po which is lithium ion polymer. That is NOT LiFePO4. LFP is the accepted abbreviation for LiFePO4
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:37 AM   #15
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The material I am reading from Greenline says the batteries are Li-Po which is lithium ion polymer. That is NOT LiFePO4. LFP is the accepted abbreviation for LiFePO4
+1
I just read the same on Greenline’s web site.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:55 AM   #16
Member
 
City: Nashville, TN
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 14
My boat is on the West Coast and I won't be out there for a few weeks. I will physically check the batteries and report back what is actually on the boat. Stay tuned.

Jon

Note: They are a series of individual cells combined within a large case including a battery management system. I may need to open the case and check the cells if there are not clear markings on the larger case.
jllehman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:32 AM   #17
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllehman86 View Post
My boat is on the West Coast and I won't be out there for a few weeks. I will physically check the batteries and report back what is actually on the boat. Stay tuned.

Jon

Note: They are a series of individual cells combined within a large case including a battery management system. I may need to open the case and check the cells if there are not clear markings on the larger case.
Jon
What battery and specs should be clearly visible on the battery covers. As late as a year ago Greenline boat tests touted their LiPO batteries. An email direct to Greenline should answer the question. There are drop in aftermarket LFPs for some models being advertised, a worthwhile conversion it would seem.

CMS (post #8) is one smart guy. When he talks batteries, we should listen.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:48 PM   #18
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllehman86 View Post
My boat is on the West Coast and I won't be out there for a few weeks. I will physically check the batteries and report back what is actually on the boat. Stay tuned.

Jon

Note: They are a series of individual cells combined within a large case including a battery management system. I may need to open the case and check the cells if there are not clear markings on the larger case.

I would NOT open that case, if I were you. You risk voiding any warranty (if you have any left) and may even risk "voiding" any fire-related insurance coverage.
__________________
Scott
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:13 PM   #19
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Vermont
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
I would NOT open that case, if I were you. You risk voiding any warranty (if you have any left) and may even risk "voiding" any fire-related insurance coverage.


Agreed. They are likely liquid cooled, etc. I recall that BMW’s EV pack was being used in one of these boats, and it may be Greenline. Propulsion systems like this are highly engineered, and I doubt a drop in replacement is really viable.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:36 PM   #20
Member
 
City: Rahway
Vessel Name: Electra
Vessel Model: 2019 Greenline 39, #40
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 19
We are also Greenline 39 Hybrid owners and the owners manual states that the battery is a LiFePO4 battery.
C. Monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012