Old 04-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #81

City: Porto Cervo
Thank you for a most comprehensible description of your, I must say, brilliant solution. I suits perfectly my way of thinking of not to clutter up the stern, but with something light to handle by an aging skipper! The only downside is the exhorbitant cost of these carbon toys, but I will have to live with it. I will duplicate your solution (if is not patented!)

The next challenge is the rib, a two-person inflatable one, powered by an electric outboard that can also be stored out of sight for an occasional use.

On the 26th I have Gregor checking the boat but I don’t expect any serious complications and should complete the purchase quickly. I am contemplating whether to cruise Croatia before bringing it home to Sardinia. But I am a bit concerned in fronting a 60 NM crossing in an unfamiliar, unproven boat.

I have also checked out your anchor upgrade as I need a reliable anchor for Sardinian windy anchorages and need to see what I already have on board. How much chain do you have?

Thanks again for your invaluable information.
Lauriesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:53 AM   #82
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
After having some more PM discussion with Lauriesail, it occured to me that including the picture and measurements below might be of use to GL33 owners considering a passerelle. This is at the pier in Frejus, France.
Our passerelle is working here, as designed. We could even deal with a pier that is a few centimeters higher and have everything work properly. Higher than that, we could probably still manage, but the wheels would not be able to rest on the dock with a load. This is not ideal and, of course, not recommended by the manufacturer. Nevertheless, in a pinch it would work without damage to the passerelle, since it comes with rubber/plastic glide pads on the bottom side where it would rub against the pier. In this case, it would be most important to use a lift line together with a guy line to hold the passerelle OFF the pier a bit and in position.

CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE
Attached Thumbnails
Passerelle10.jpg  
Old 08-31-2022, 12:01 PM   #83

City: Woodinville
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB40 View Post
And three weeks recently with our daughter and hubby down to San Diego and back. They're both sailors, but found that the Stbd fill-in double was too small length-wise for both her 5'9 height and his 6' to work. They managed to cobble together a more comfortable double on the longer Port side using the settee backs in some way.
Thanks for bringing this up. Can anyone advise how I should think about the relative sizes of the guest cabin vs. the converted table on the 39 or the 40? Our family tends towards tall and my two kids are growing fast. What are the dimensions of the mattresses / sleeping areas, and is there a meaningful difference between the 39 and 40 in this regard?
Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Monterey Bay
Vessel Name: Swan Song
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. Can anyone advise how I should think about the relative sizes of the guest cabin vs. the converted table on the 39 or the 40? Our family tends towards tall and my two kids are growing fast. What are the dimensions of the mattresses / sleeping areas, and is there a meaningful difference between the 39 and 40 in this regard?

NW, this was on our GL 33 Hybrid - no guest cabin. Whereas the Port settee berth is 7' long, there's no good way to make it a double without a morass of cushions on the floor. The Stbd settee-lowered table fill-in has only about 5' 8" length. The width is OK for double. A ~1' aft-end table extension of the inner half of the berth that's not constrained by the settee end wouldn't be that hard to engineer.
PeterB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:48 PM   #85

City: Europe
Tips for buying a used Greenline 40 Hybrid?

Hello ScottC and all,

This is a great thread!

My husband and I are about to do sea trials of three used Greenline 40 hybrids, all in Europe, and we’d love any tips you can offer us, before we get to the point of hiring a surveyor. I’ve read through all of the discussion on this thread so far, which looks incredibly helpful!

As for us, we’ve been boaters of smaller, 22-26’ inboard gas engine waterski and wakeboard boats for 25+ years, though we’re not as mechanically inclined and knowledgeable as we should be by now. (But we’re now planning to take a diesel mechanics course!) We have been aboard a Greenline 40—without a sea trial—and we just love everything about it. Our plan will be to cruise European inland waterways and the Mediterranean, living aboard for 3-5 months a year for the next many years to come.

The boats we’re currently looking at (there aren’t a lot to choose from) are in the 2013-2016 range, so they all have the VW engines. They range from 100-600 engine hours. We’d hoped to find a 2017 or newer (but still preowned, as we almost always prefer to buy used), as we understand that’s the year they switched to Volvo Penta, and also a newer hybrid system. But we haven’t been able to find a 2017 or newer at this point.

What relatively simple inspections and tests would you particularly recommend for us to do to determine how well the boat has been cared for (especially of course the engines and batteries)?

Many thanks for any direction you can provide!!
EllenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #86
Guru

Hi EllenO & welcome aboard!

We’ve not operated a GL40, but have been on one. If we were to move up in size, it would be absolutely to the GL40 and not the GL39.

Love the layout and interior space of the GL40, including the 2nd cabin. Also love the wide walkaround decks. The GL40 would be PERFECT for navigating through Europe/France on canals and rivers.

My thoughts and comments for you:
- VW Marine sold out to Cummins Marine Diesel some years ago. We’ve have had absolutely no problems with our 2010 VW Marine 165hp Turbo diesel, but some parts may be more difficult to source. For example, we replaced our exhaust elbow and the yard had to fit a Yanmar elbow, as the original replacement part is no longer available. We have not heard of any GL owner left “stranded”, however, for not being able to find a suitable replacement part for their VW engine.
  • Read through all the GL threads in the dedicated GL section of this forum. When the TF administrators agreed to make a dedicated GL discussion area, I tried to create some “structure threads” to organize the discussions. I think my strategy has failed, hence my recommendation to read through the other GL threads. You will find stuff relevant to GL40 in some of these.
  • Ask if the hybrid clutch master and slave cylinders have been replaced. These are the hydraulic cylinders that are used to move the clutch so you can operate in electric mode, rather than the “default” of diesel. If the seller claims they have been replaced, ask when. Ask to see the service invoice or documentation showing this. If they haven’t been replaced and/or no documentation can be produced, you should insist on approximately a 5 000€ deduction from the asking price FOR EACH ENGINE. This was a known, shall I say, design flaw/part quality issue around the early years for GL33 and GL40. You will see discussion in TF on this. The last time I had my cylinders replaced (lot of work), I had it done by a competent yard in Sweden and it was around 3 500€.
  • Have a battery expert look at the health of the 48v batteries. In particular, have them do a load test. The expected lifespan of the original Kokam 48v batteries was claimed to be 10 years by GL. I got 8 ½ years out of mine. If the batteries have been replaced, ask to see documentation as to when. If they have not been replaced, but are getting on in years, I suggest you request an asking price deduction of 15 000€ for EACH 48v battery. Also, you may want to consider getting a lead time estimate from the GL manufacturer (SVP Yachts in Slovenia) for how long it would take to get new 48v batteries. I’ve heard about some significant delays this year. The 12v batteries are nothing unusual or unusually expensive, but you still may wish to have your battery expert check them while he’s there looking at the 48v batteries.

I wish the best of luck in your search and trials!
Old 09-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #87

City: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
We cross shopped the 39 and 40 before deciding to purchase a 39. My perception was that the berths were actually the same size but the difference between the two cabins was primarily the head room. It was much higher on the 40. The interior berth on the 39 has pretty low overall height due to the location of the fixed table in the salon.

Surprisingly there is not that much difference in the actual main cabin or forward cabin spaces between the two. I am attaching a pdf that shows the two boats side by side at relative scale. You'll see the configuration is U-shaped with a fixed table on the 39 vs L-shaped with a freestanding table on the 40. We preferred the fixed table arrangement.

The primary differences are the second cabin head room, settee configuration and and of course, 1 vs 2 engines.

Jon
2019 Greenline 39 Hybrid "Gratitude"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Greenline 39 and 40.pdf (185.6 KB, 33 views)
jllehman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:51 AM   #88

City: Vancouver
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic 1980
Hello Scott, how can I reach you to ask that additional detail to be aware of on the used GL hybrids? I’m about to plan my trip to Europe to view some used 2014’s.
GBTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:35 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBTony View Post
Hello Scott, how can I reach you to ask that additional detail to be aware of on the used GL hybrids? I’m about to plan my trip to Europe to view some used 2014’s.
Hi GB Tony - send me a PM and I will reply with my e-mail address.

Are thinking of buying a GL40 for use in Europe only or are you thinking of having one shipped to the US? If the latter, you might first want to investigate the likely need/cost for changing over the necessary electrical system components from 230v to 110v. You will likely need to change your Victron Multi Inverter/Charger, your Victron 12v charger, circuit breakers, outlets and possibly even wiring (which is typically in harnesses and difficult to access).
Old 08-22-2023, 04:15 PM   #90

City: Maisons-Laffitte
Are you in Korkula ? :-)

Hello,
If you are in Korkula on the GL 40 I’ll be please to invite you in a cafe to talk about GL.
I’ve try to PM you but ScottC doesn’t appear in the list on my IPhone.
Thx
Pierre
Pierre78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:16 PM   #91
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre78 View Post
Hello,
If you are in Korkula on the GL 40 I’ll be please to invite you in a cafe to talk about GL.
I’ve try to PM you but ScottC doesn’t appear in the list on my IPhone.
Thx
Pierre
Pierre, you PM him by clicking on his name in any of his posts in the left hand column where his avatar is, then select 'send a private message to' from the drop-down list under his name...

PS. All this is much easier done on say a laptop than iPhone, because the screen is so small. However, other folk manage on their phones. I try to avoid doing much on websites on my phone.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:44 PM   #92

City: Englewood
@scottc I cannot send a PM because I’m a newly registered member. I was on this forum some years ago, but it didn’t find my account (or I forgot) so I re-signed up.

If you might be so kind, I have questions on the GL33. I think if you PM me I can reply. I thank you in advance and apologize for clutter here.
Pprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:39 AM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pprior View Post
@scottc
If you might be so kind, I have questions on the GL33. I think if you PM me I can reply. I thank you in advance and apologize for clutter here.
Hi Pprior. I sent you a PM just now. Hope it works on your end.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:22 PM   #94

It did and posting this just to thank @ScottC publicly for being such a gracious and helpful person to someone learning about Greenline. Truly a credit this this forum, many thanks again.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:01 PM   #95
Guru

City: Curacao
Vessel Name: Endless Summer
Vessel Model: 1979 Defever 49
Quote:
It did and posting this just to thank @ScottC publicly for being such a gracious and helpful person to someone learning about Greenline. Truly a credit this this forum, many thanks again.
Don't want to intrude, but are you in Europe ? I visited GL at the BOOT fair in Dusseldorf, spoke at length with them and will go and visit the factory in Slovenia quite soon.
They do have a couple of boats lying in Porto Roz, Slovenia and have a service center in Lefkas, Greece. If you need a contact within GL I can forward you his contact details, he will be more than happy to help you.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:15 PM   #96

Sorry no I'm in USA (Florida).
Old 02-16-2024, 07:40 PM   #97
Guru

City: Curacao
Vessel Name: Endless Summer
Vessel Model: 1979 Defever 49
Quote:
Sorry no I'm in USA (Florida).
Ok, no problem, just tried to help. If you ever make it to Europe, let me know, I will get you in contact with the right people. And no, I am not invested in GL, I have a Defever.