Welcome aboard, eh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a COVID item eh?

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Nothing to see here. Seems like every time that something significant/major happens in the US the headlines read "People leaving in droves" or something to that effect.

The most recent event I can recall before the current kerfuffle, is the 2016 US election. To MY knowledge, those who said they were leaving are still in the US.

Is this a COVID item eh?

Could be, eh. Those previously pondering a move may get nudged over the tipping point by differing Covid-19 responses.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. MM. Nothing to see here...

Notable bit was inquiries are up threefold.

We’ve somehow got to achieve a balance with all the entertainment industry types who’ve moved from Canada to the States!

Notable bit was inquiries are up threefold.

We’ve somehow got to achieve a balance with all the entertainment industry types who’ve moved from Canada to the States!

I propose a trade, we (USA) move up to the 50th and in exchange we will give you all of California. Just think of all that year round sunshine and warm water, and beaches... To be fair you must take all that are currently there, and we will do the same moving up 1.

I propose a trade, we (USA) move up to the 50th and in exchange we will give you all of California. Just think of all that year round sunshine and warm water, and beaches... To be fair you must take all that are currently there, and we will do the same moving up 1.

Denied! (What's wrong with the 49th?)

But thanks for the offer, eh.

Last edited:
How about a trade for just Sidney Island for all of Cali?

Nope.

None of your shiny bobbles will temp us from changing a thing...then again...if you permanently take Conrad Black off our hands there may be some wiggle room for negotiations.

Even better idea:
Allow CA independent nation status thus becoming the world's 8th wealthiest country.
Of course, that would reduce the US to second place...

Last edited:
Can we negotiate a President/Prime Minister swap in there somewhere?

Nope.

None of your shiny bobbles will temp us from changing a thing...then again...if you permanently take Conrad Black off our hands there may be some wiggle room for negotiations.

Would you throw in Bishop Bay hot springs, with instructions on how to successfully anchor there....since it's deep, hard bottom and lots of current??:confused:

Would you throw in Bishop Bay hot springs, with instructions on how to successfully anchor there....since it's deep, hard bottom and lots of current??:confused:

Pssst...check out Europa hot springs, which is around a few corners and a wee bit up Gardner Canal.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer and less people!

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Nothing to see here. Seems like every time that something significant/major happens in the US the headlines read "People leaving in droves" or something to that effect.
The most recent event I can recall before the current kerfuffle, is the 2016 US election. To MY knowledge, those who said they were leaving are still in the US.
Maybe they were rejected by the target country.

Greetings,
BIG difference between visiting a foreign country and immigrating there. What a new country seems to be, on the surface, may not fit into what one expects out of a move "for the better". I've done the tourist thing in quite a few places and there are very few I'd care to stay for any extended periods of time much less make permanent move to.
Even between seemingly similar countries (US and Canada, for example) there are still large cultural and social differences NOT to mention political.

I'd go for that deal but you'd have to take Quebec.

Some of those people looking to move to Canada are my friends fed up with living in Portland. Nothing to do with COVID at all for them.

My nephews are immigration lawyers in Canada. I'll inquire. The article seemed like a bit of a puff piece to me. No specifics, just a few opinions.

Last edited:
Some of those people looking to move to Canada are my friends fed up with living in Portland. Nothing to do with COVID at all for them.

Same thing in Seattle. I heard on a Seattle news station this morning that people are leaving the city for the 'burbs and outlying towns. Many people are just tired of the social unrest and upheaval.

...The article seemed like a bit of a puff piece to me. No specifics, just a few opinions.

Yup...the interesting bit was the threefold increase in inquiries.

...I heard on a Seattle news station this morning that people are leaving the city for the 'burbs and outlying towns...

A good portion would be people who used to slog into the office every day. Covid-19 has forced companies and workers to reevaluate this and have discovered that some can do a good portion of their work remotely.

This will have a devastating effect on all those big city downtown businesses which rely on office workers.

Last edited:
Yup...the interesting bit was the threefold increase in inquiries.

A good portion would be people who used to slog into the office every day. Covid-19 has forced companies and workers to reevaluate this and have discovered that some can do a good portion of their work remotely.

This will have a devastating effect on all those big city downtown businesses which rely on office workers.
Numeracy. A threefold increase of 1, 10, 100, or 1000? Magnitude matters.

Grammar. The term threefold increase is ambiguous as it is not agreed upon and means different things to different people.

See this link: https://www.future-science.com/doi/10.4155/ipk-2016-0007

Remember the source was a lawyer; lawyers know when to use ambiguity (when answering questions) and specifics (when asking questions). When I googled the lawyer's name, he sure seems chummy with journalists, as he gets a lot of hits with news stories. Must be good for business. :)

I wonder who calls whom, or maybe they just go out to lunch and see what kind of story they can come up with...

Last edited:
Numeracy. A threefold increase of 1, 10, 100, or 1000? Magnitude matters.

Grammar. The term threefold increase is ambiguous as it is not agreed upon and means different things to different people.

See this link: https://www.future-science.com/doi/10.4155/ipk-2016-0007

Remember the source was a lawyer; lawyers know when to use ambiguity (when answering questions) and specifics (when asking questions). When I googled the lawyer's name, he sure seems chummy with journalists, as he gets a lot of hits with news stories. Must be good for business. :)

I wonder who calls whom, or maybe they just go out to lunch and see what kind of story they can come up with...

Found on Internet...mental bubble gum...about as much validity as conversations overheard on a bus...didn't bother to cross reference for accuracy.

Cabin fever? ;)

There are many disillusioned Americans and for many their beliefs and values seem more consistent with Canadian beliefs and values. In fact, in many ways some share more in common with Australians, but that's a far more difficult move.

It's a lot like working for the same company for decades and you remain loyal but the company changes and you're no longer comfortable there or with what it stands for. Then you must make a hard decision on whether to stay or leave. Now many are feeling that way about their country.

There are many people in the world, including many in the US, who are not very proud of their country any longer. Still, most stay for other reasons.

I came across some quotes the other day in my desk at work that I jotted down during radio interviews over the years.

"Silence equals acceptance."

"Inaction is an action."

"To not know is bad. To not want to know is worse."

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."

In other words...rather than run away, some people might want to stay and work towards the change they want to see.

Canadians have dark corners that we're uncomfortable dealing with. No country is perfect. Pretty amazing to be alive, at this time, which will be written about for centuries.

Last edited:
I came across some quotes the other day in my desk at work that I jotted down during radio interviews over the years..... Pretty amazing to be alive, at this time, which will be written about for centuries.
Trick is, staying alive. Lots of younger people getting sick in Victoria state.
How about: "The conduct you walk past without protest is the conduct you accept".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom