Travel to Canada right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our plans were to head to WA for the summer and then back home, but covid changed our plans and the border closing solidified it. Being in Alaska I get to see the boats that are cruising this summer as they pass through. There are a lot of WA boats that have passed through. I’m somewhat friendly and very bored so I try to stop by on the dock and say hi to many of them, from a distance. I usually try to casually get their story of why they are cruising and how they made it through BC.
Some left their boats here last winter, some came up non stop, but there are certainly boats cruising through Canada for recreational purposes and lying about it. There is at least one TF member that I know of, probably more. There will always be people that follow the rules, and shitty self centered ******** that think they are above the rules. As you can tell, I’m not bitter or anything.
I had to change my plans because I follow the rules, and it pisses me off that others think those rules shouldn’t apply to them.

But the bottom line here is that we are if the middle of a ****ing global pandemic, nations are doing what they think is right to protect their citizen (except maybe our government...), and there are a bunch of whiny babies crying because they didn’t get to go for a boat ride this summer. Jesus H Christ people, grow up and act like adults.

So as of the July 31st, Americans can transit Canada with some restrictions. You have to report to Canadian Customs. You will be required to file a "float Plan" and as before only stop for fuel, food or anchor for safety reasons.

The above may have already been stated here. I have seen and heard of folks legally transiting B.C. waters to or from Alaska. Several folks have done it and there have also been flotillas transiting BC to and from Alaska.

So it would appear that as long as you follow the rules, you can get to Alaska from Washington. Little late in the season for ASD. We are normally looking at weather windows to get back to the Columbia.

Got this from Waggoner:

Thomas
I have not seen the float plan referenced in any web site. I have been told that some captains are providing this as a demonstration that there is a plan and the passage is a pass through plan.

The info you sent from the website is the same we are aware of. Key is to avoid the three words they mention:
touring
sightseeing
pleasure fishing

If the agent feels you are not doing the above, they are inclined to allow a passage trip.
The discretion is entirely up to the agent.

We are closely monitoring this situation and will report otherwise as things develop.

Thanks for your question.

So as of the July 31st, Americans can transit Canada with some restrictions. You have to report to Canadian Customs. You will be required to file a "float Plan" and as before only stop for fuel, food or anchor for safety reasons.

Or travel 201mi offshore

So as of the July 31st, Americans can transit Canada with some restrictions.

I can now go up the inside with some restrictions.

There was nothing magical about July 31. Every “restriction” you are just now talking about, have been in place since the border was closed on March 21.

The marine component was given little thought, attention or enforcement, through April, May and June.

It was the constant bitching, lobbying and media attention that brought it to a head in late June, prompting the official publication copied below, which was issued for clarity, giving “one of those huge 65+ RCMP power cats” something to do, with no ambiguity.

Information for foreign boaters
Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:
• touring
• sightseeing
• pleasure fishing

Consult Entry restrictions for more information.

Transiting boaters
You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:
• direct
• continuous/uninterrupted
• by the most reasonable route

Transiting travellers may only make non-discretionary (essential) stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.

You must follow social distancing practices and wear a non-medical mass or face covering during these stops.

Anchoring
You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.

If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.

Consult Quarantine requirement for more information.

Reporting requirements
If at any point a transiting vessel lands on Canadian soil, anchors, moors or comes alongside another vessel in Canadian waters, or if anyone onboard disembarks in Canada, the operator must report to the CBSA. All entry restrictions apply.

The CBSA and its law enforcement partners are actively monitoring Canadian waterways. If you fail to report to the CBSA, regardless if your purpose is non-discretionary (essential) such as to refuel, you may face severe penalties. Failure to report may also affect your immigration admissibility and ability to re-enter Canada in the future.

So, sorry you have been chasing shadows for 5 months, when you could have been in BC, burning garbage on the beach, freezing salmon by the bucket and tossing rocks at natives.

And to address an earlier post “From the horses mouth” about NWE;
The spin cited in the TC article was quite different from the one written by the newly hired marketing manager and sent in response to some small town concerned citizens.

Last edited:
Well I would have to respectively disagree. Canadian Boarder officials have lighten up on recreational boats traveling between Washington, through BC to Alaska. I now know of 5 boats that cruised through BC to Alaska and told me it was no big deal. RMCP do keep a close eye on such passages. So long as you follow your trip plan and don't commit the three sins (fishing, touring and sightseeing) you will be fine.

Last edited:
Well I would have to respectively disagree. Canadian Boarder officials have lighten up on recreational boats traveling between Washington, through BC to Alaska. I now know of 5 boats that cruised through BC to Alaska and told me it was no big deal. RMCP do keep a close eye on such passages. So long as you follow your trip plan and don't commit the three sins (fishing, touring and sightseeing) you will be fine.
Well, irrespective of agreement or not, "Canadian Border officials" are being tougher now and those 5 boats you know of, are no differnt than the dozens that went before them.

You have just restated my point of what has been the case all along.

Well, irrespective of agreement or not, "Canadian Border officials" are being tougher now and those 5 boats you know of, are no differnt than the dozens that went before them.

You have just restated my point of what has been the case all along.
Not really. What is does state that as of July 31st, you CAN cross the boarder, travel through BC so long as you follow the "revised" rules.

Ok, I guess I'm just another uninformed Canadian, so please tell me what the revised rules are. What changed from July 30 to August 01?

Ok, I guess I'm just another uninformed Canadian, so please tell me what the revised rules are. What changed from July 30 to August 01?
You can read right? Didn't think you were uninformed, but your words not mine.

You may not like it but the Americans are coming.

You can read right? Didn't think you were uninformed, but your words not mine.

You may not like it but the Americans are coming.
Yes, I can read and that is why I am asking you to inform me what has changed from before July 31.

I'm serious; you apparently know more about the border closure than I do, so please give me the "before and after" to read.

Americans have been coming all summer and most days now, they are travelling back.

Since late March, when the border closed, 16,000 people have been denied entry to Canada from the US.

Half of them wanted to sightsee or shop.

SHOP???

And the cavalier, bombastic ones on this forum, believe we on the coast should just roll over and accept “the Americans are coming” without concern.

Not really. What is does state that as of July 31st, you CAN cross the boarder, travel through BC so long as you follow the "revised" rules.

Tom, I also missed where it says it changed July 31st. I know I posted that you and others should call our border officials and propose a pass through. Border is federal and I have felt marine crossings with a sound plan were being allowed months ago. Then there was evident abuse as reported in Nanaimo with US crew taking a stroll etc. I spoke to a marine RCMP and he could neither deny or confirm what actions they were taking on patrols. It is too late for your transit, so all mute.

This from Canada.ca:

Transiting through Canada to Alaska
As of July 31, 2020, at 12:01 am PDT, if you are transiting through Canada to Alaska for a non-discretionary (essential) reason, you must follow stricter rules and meet additional entry conditions.

This from Canada.ca:

Transiting through Canada to Alaska
As of July 31, 2020, at 12:01 am PDT, if you are transiting through Canada to Alaska for a non-discretionary (essential) reason, you must follow stricter rules and meet additional entry conditions.
What you are on about is a tweaking of already in place COVID-19 "rules" affecting transiting through Canada from anywhere in the US to AK.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-ser...nals-transiting-through-canada-to-alaska.html

In fact what you are citing is more specifically addressing land crossings.

Nothing changed, respecting vessels transiting BC waters and they have been doing so all along.

What you are on about is a tweaking of already in place COVID-19 "rules" affecting transiting through Canada from anywhere in the US to AK.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-ser...nals-transiting-through-canada-to-alaska.html

In fact what you are citing is more specifically addressing land crossings.

Nothing changed, respecting vessels transiting BC waters and they have been doing so all along.

I see the confusion now. It would seem to me when compared to say April and March the restrictions on boats was much more restrictive. They seemed to have been relaxed a little. From "Stay away" to "Follow the Restrictions" and you can pass through.

The folks at Waggoner was using the above to cross over the "water" boarder and didn't have any issues. Although not required they submitted a "float plan" to Canadian Customs which seemed to be very helpful. On one of their trips, RMCP showed up in the middle of no where looked at the flotilla, then left.

I’ve not seen any reason for confusion, just an unwillingness to pay close attention.

Again, this is why we are cantankerous:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7316463/us-boat-fined-canadian-waters/

“The boat was seen near Ucluelet on Aug. 31 by the Canadian Coast Guard, who then notified the Canada Border Services Agency and the RCMP.

After checking out the vessel, officers realized the people on board did not report to CBSA after crossing into Canadian waters and had violated the Quarantine Act amid the COVID-19 pandemic.”

I’ve not seen any reason for confusion, just an unwillingness to pay close attention.

Again, this is why we are cantankerous:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7316463/us-boat-fined-canadian-waters/

“The boat was seen near Ucluelet on Aug. 31 by the Canadian Coast Guard, who then notified the Canada Border Services Agency and the RCMP.

After checking out the vessel, officers realized the people on board did not report to CBSA after crossing into Canadian waters and had violated the Quarantine Act amid the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Yeah, they didn't go by the rules, no fishing, no sightseeing or tourism.

How do you explain those who have crossed both ways this past summer.
?

How do you explain those who have crossed both ways this past summer.?
No explanation needed.
Most did what they were supposed to and some, as mentioned by Ventana, cheated.

You could have gone to AK, but I guess no one had an overwhelming desire to tell you back then. :hide:

Well there you have it! FB_IMG_1599518707310.jpeg

There was nothing magical about July 31. Every “restriction” you are just now talking about, have been in place since the border was closed on March 21.

The marine component was given little thought, attention or enforcement, through April, May and June.

It was the constant bitching, lobbying and media attention that brought it to a head in late June, prompting the official publication copied below, which was issued for clarity, giving “one of those huge 65+ RCMP power cats” something to do, with no ambiguity.

Information for foreign boaters
Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:
• touring
• sightseeing
• pleasure fishing

Consult Entry restrictions for more information.

Transiting boaters
You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:
• direct
• continuous/uninterrupted
• by the most reasonable route

Transiting travellers may only make non-discretionary (essential) stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.

You must follow social distancing practices and wear a non-medical mass or face covering during these stops.

Anchoring
You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.

If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.

Consult Quarantine requirement for more information.

Reporting requirements
If at any point a transiting vessel lands on Canadian soil, anchors, moors or comes alongside another vessel in Canadian waters, or if anyone onboard disembarks in Canada, the operator must report to the CBSA. All entry restrictions apply.

The CBSA and its law enforcement partners are actively monitoring Canadian waterways. If you fail to report to the CBSA, regardless if your purpose is non-discretionary (essential) such as to refuel, you may face severe penalties. Failure to report may also affect your immigration admissibility and ability to re-enter Canada in the future.

So, sorry you have been chasing shadows for 5 months, when you could have been in BC, burning garbage on the beach, freezing salmon by the bucket and tossing rocks at natives.

And to address an earlier post “From the horses mouth” about NWE;
The spin cited in the TC article was quite different from the one written by the newly hired marketing manager and sent in response to some small town concerned citizens.

I'd love to get out of Toronto and back to the Bahamas but can't get permission to transit US waters via ICW. We'd have to stop once in Georgia for fuel .... no go !

I'd love to get out of Toronto and back to the Bahamas but can't get permission to transit US waters via ICW. We'd have to stop once in Georgia for fuel .... no go !
I'm guessing someone on here can find you a loophole.

I'll be happy as hell if the border open for usual AK transit by next summer, which is no slam dunk at this point.

Let's hope so. Typically in our cruising schedule we are normally looking for a weather window around the horn.

Re-pickled the water maker yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom