Bahamas Locked Down. No one else in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing.

I sincerely hope those two gentlemen understand the speed of a trawler and the fact that the majority cruise with only two people on board. Gets to ability to proceed directly, especially an overnight voyage.

Exactly. That would make for a very long trip home, and if the weather tuned bad the inability to seek shelter anchoring near any island could make it dangerous.

Last edited:
There is some help there.

The Bahamas Safe Passage Home and Sea Quarantine has been established by the Association of Bahamas Marinas as an orderly way to help boats either remain moored or leave Bahamian waters safely while minimizing the risk of spreading the virus throughout the islands. The program will be in effect until normal border travel is restored. Please note that our program exists within the existing guidelines of the curfew order. Service will NOT be offered on days where a total shutdown has been ordered.

https://blog.bahamasmarinas.com/202...tocols-for-boating-in-the-bahamas-april-2020/

Nassau to Freeport is a helluva run at eight knots.

And the participating marinas are closed on the weekends when the Lockdown is in effect. Between the lockdowns and the weather, I’d just pick a good weather window and go for it.

If you let them know in advance could you anchor out with the quarantine flag up?

It doesn’t say you can. We saw our first Bahamian Navy Vessel last week. Your chances of getting caught are probably pretty slim but I wouldn’t want to test the authorities at this point.

I've heard nasty things about Fox Hill!

It doesn’t say you can. We saw our first Bahamian Navy Vessel last week. Your chances of getting caught are probably pretty slim but I wouldn’t want to test the authorities at this point.

I agree it’s not worth the test. They seem pretty on edge.

What does a Bahaman navy vessel look like? Never seen one.

Sorry for the lousy picture. It was on April 2 early in the morning looking East. I have a feeling that their boats aren’t all built to the same specifications.

Attachments

• 07325669-C4BA-4EBB-91A3-3062333A5C53.jpg
    07325669-C4BA-4EBB-91A3-3062333A5C53.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 24
Sorry for the lousy picture. It was on April 2 early in the morning looking East. I have a feeling that their boats aren’t all built to the same specifications.

Ah cool. Thanks!

It isn't actually their navy per se. It's the Royal Bahamian Defence Force - RBDF.

It makes up all of their military (no separate army, air force or navy).

It isn't actually their navy per se. It's the Royal Bahamian Defence Force - RBDF.

It makes up all of their military (no separate army, air force or navy).

I was googling trying to find the total Bahamian navy fleet but can’t find it. How many boats/ships do they have?

Here you go.

Ships
The main ships in the force are two Bahamas-class and four Legend-class offshore patrol vessels.[5] The latter are the first part of the nine-vessel acquisition contract signed with the Damen Shipyards Group in April 2013.[6][7] Most of the missions consist of anti-poaching patrols, anti-drug patrols, immigration enforcement, search and rescue, or general National Defence missions.

Four of the new vessels will be Stan 4207 design, four of the new vessels will be Stan 3007 design, and the final vessel will be 55 metres (180 ft) landing craft style transport craft, Damen Stan Lander 5612.

Bahamas re-opening

Anyone have any scoop on the when & how for the re-opening of the Bahamas?

Here’s the plan for opening the country/economy. We’re in Phase 1A. The good news is if you’re here and following the guidelines, for the most part, the authorities are ok with it, just don't go Family Island to Family Island. There are about 100 boats in Georgetown and maybe 30 in the Raggeds. We’re in Great Harbour. The marina around the corner is open but if you come in, you're stuck on your boat for 14 days (you can go the bathrooms) as Superintendent Brown (the local Leo) said last weekend.

The government is making a plan to get the ~250-400 Bahamian students in Florida back but that hasn’t been finalized.

I thinks it’s going to be awhile before they are open to international travel (Phase 5).

https://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/...1068/Measured+Re-Opening+Plan.jpg?MOD=AJPERES

Attachments

• 855A31AC-9354-494E-9E3D-308892D9C3F2.jpg
    855A31AC-9354-494E-9E3D-308892D9C3F2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
...The Bahamas btw cancelled all cruising permits weeks ago and required all foreign vessels to leave , in good weather, of course. They apparently were very cordial.

Cruising permits have not been canceled. Foreign vessels are being encouraged to leave but you can stay. Movement within the Bahamas is restricted.

https://bs.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/118/BMA-Bahamas-Yachts-Protocols-Final.pdf

https://blog.bahamasmarinas.com/202...tocols-for-boating-in-the-bahamas-april-2020/

Okay Larry M,

I stand corrected on the Bahamas cruising permit.

But read the letter.

All foreign boats encouraged to leave Bahamas.

It would be very USA to not abide by that.

Also, shelter in place, no boating, cruising, etc

No going ashore. Period

Groceries must be delivered.

Fuel gotten without getting off vessel.

So if you can't move your boat, except to depart Bahamas, how do you get fuel?

I suggest the right thing to do is conform to their wishes, and leave them be.

Dan

It does not seem like it’s much fun staying there these days! With the US opening up again slowly maybe it’s better to go there for the summer? You know, let them get a handle on things before we go back this winter........

...With the US opening up again slowly maybe it’s better to go there for the summer? You know, let them get a handle on things before we go back this winter........

I agree. There have been a lot of boats waiting to see what the situation will be in the States and Canada. As you mentioned with the US slowly opening up, it’s becoming more attractive than here.

The Bahamians are moving very cautiously. We’re in another weekend lockdown. The lockdowns and curfew have been extended through the end of the month and that includes Family Islands with no reported cases. They raised the penalty for breaking quarantine. For being out after curfew the fines seem to be running between $300 and $800 based on what story you tell the courts. With an unhealthy general population and limited medical facilities, I can’t blame them.

I will say the local Bahamians have been great. Everyone still waves or honks their horn on the way by. The big difference now is they don’t stop and offer you a ride. After Dorian last fall and now this, you do have to feel sorry for them.

There looks like a good weather window next week and we’re thinking about taking it. It sounds like we won’t be alone. We’re in a good situation here but I would be devastated if I became or contributed to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom