Old 06-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #161
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Better to convert motorsailer to trawler.
We cruised with a guy who bought Bruce Van Sants's Shucker after he removed the stick. The last time we saw him, he was on his way to St Martens to put a mast and rigging back on. He hated the way the boat rolled and went back to vertical stabilizers.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #162
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Interesting project!

Can't wait to see my pics. I am curious to see how the sheets and blocks are set up.

Will you have the ability to trim the jib and main from the helm?

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #163
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yes this is the sail plan the Island Packet folks drew up back when they were still Island Packet. Basically the same as the SP Cruiser, but with a little shorter mast and smaller sail plan due to a little less ballast in my boat, and because I wanted a low stress setup that would last quite awhile and be easy to single hand.

Attachment 66077
Very nice!
It looks like a very sensible design. Is your jib sail set up to be self tacking?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #164
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Very nice!

It looks like a very sensible design. Is your jib sail set up to be self tacking?

Yes. Self tacking jib.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #165
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Interesting project!

Can't wait to see my pics. I am curious to see how the sheets and blocks are set up.

Will you have the ability to trim the jib and main from the helm?

Jim

No, not from the helm. The electric winch is right by the PH door and all lines run to it, so pretty close. Furling main sail.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #166
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Yes. Self tacking jib.
Since cruising sailboats rarely go to windward while sailing . my sail-assisted motorboat only has one sheet for the jib as well as minimal keel. Tacking requires rolling the jib up and redeploying the sheet since the sailing rig is designed for reaches and downwind where it is the only practical use.

While the smaller mainsail is easiest to deploy/control and useful for more points of sail/direction.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:02 AM   #167
Guru

Furling mainsail and self tacking jib make for nice relaxing motorsailing.

If it's all easy to simple and tack, you'll find you use it often. Windward as well, up to about 25 degrees off the wind. Not that it adds much propulsion at that angle, but it stables out any quarterly swell so much.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #168
Guru

Quote:

If it's all easy to simple and tack, you'll find you use it often. Windward as well, up to about 25 degrees off the wind. Not that it adds much propulsion at that angle, but it stables out any quarterly swell so much.

I'm really looking forward to experimenting with the rig. I'm not a "real" sailor by any stretch. I've owned and sailed small boats for years, but nothing with furling sails, winches, etc.

I told the rigger I wanted something as simple to sail as possible, and something that I could easily single hand. I hope that's what I'm getting!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #169
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark wrote;
"sailing rig is designed for reaches and downwind where it is the only practical use."

I thought the only practical use was steadying the roll. Of course when the engine becomes silent ... even the windage of the cabin and hull may be of use.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #170
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We cruised with a guy who bought Bruce Van Sants's Shucker after he removed the stick. The last time we saw him, he was on his way to St Martens to put a mast and rigging back on. He hated the way the boat rolled and went back to vertical stabilizers.
Larry,
It's hard to swap and switch as there are so many not so noticable differences.

When I first thought seriously about trawlers I decided they were such barges I'd be better off converting a sailboat.
Most sailboats are skinny at both ends and fat in the middle. Trawlers are slab sided and fat everywhere. I think a good trawler could be had by being very selective about choosing a sailboat to convert. I noticed that some sailboats have much fuller ends than most. I was looking for a swing keel. Also I planed to gut the thing almost totally and put a NT like house on. And would retain a shortened mainmast and maybe not a marconi sail. A schooner rig would be ideal to start with because the mainmast is further aft but obviously won't be found in a small boat unless it was a Bolger boat. But a sailboat w wide chines and a bit stiff as a sailboat would be a big plus.

Decided it wasn't a good idea. But my knowlege is limited about sailboats. Could be a sailboat out there that would make a trawler. The Albin 27 may be OK but one would need to change the prop aft of the rudder configuration. But a nice hull.

A lot of sailboats go to Alaska every year pretending to be trawlers. There they are sitting in the cockpit in yellow trailing the dink w their sails stowed put puting along.
I remember in the 70's I had a 12 knot OB boat and was heading south from Juneau. The was a 45 or 50' blue sailboat that started and stopped the same place for several days. Was a whole bunch of mostly teenageas. The boat was flush decked. Sounded like it had a 2cyl Volvo. We'd do our usual day. Eat breakfast and perhaps socialize a bit on the docks, perhaps fuel and get underway about 10am. We'd see them on the way to the next harbor about mid day under power. We'd arrive at the next harbor (one of them was Namu) and just about 9pm we'd hear the put put sound, look out and see them comming. Don't remember if they sailed the boat from Australia but they probably did. It said "Royal YC of Sidney" or something like that on the starn.

Boats are much like airplanes. Way different airplanes .. ultralights to big twins and way different boats .. outboards to ship-like trawlers and motoryachts go forth in way different ways. I've done my cruising just about as often in a boat w an outside helm. I've been known to wear a motorcycle helmet in the rain thus wearing the wheelhouse on my head. Of course youth and money had a lot to do w it.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #171
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

I've never had a self-tacking jib, but had considered seeing about trying to set that up with my Catalina 400 for times when I was single handing. That boat isn't setup for it at all, but it would sure be nice.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #172
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I've never had a self-tacking jib, but had considered seeing about trying to set that up with my Catalina 400 for times when I was single handing. That boat isn't setup for it at all, but it would sure be nice.

Do you still have your Catalina? If so, do you take it out for a spin when you miss sailing?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #173
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Mark wrote;
"sailing rig is designed for reaches and downwind where it is the only practical use."

I thought the only practical use was steadying the roll. Of course when the engine becomes silent ... even the windage of the cabin and hull may be of use.
Even Willard got into the mix with this 40 Stay-Sail Ketch. Although I never saw a 30, it would look spiffy.
Attached Thumbnails
40willardstaysailketch.jpg   Eric's willard ketch.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #174
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
There are a few different ways to set up a self tacking jib. They are limited to about 80- 90% (#4) as they can be no overlap of the mast. Often there is a single control line run via a pulley at the base of the mast to the cockpit for trimming.
Mine has a club foot which is basically a boom for the jib, but most are soft-footed.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #175
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My previous boat was a cutter. The staysail had a boom (self tacking) and a flying (high, outer) jib requiring adjusting the sheets when tacking. In stronger winds, the flying jib was the first retracted. Then a single reef of the mainsail. Never got to the second reef.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #176
Guru

Larry,
That jib is overpowering and it limits visability. But I like the little mizzen aft. Would be nice to cut the engine and fall in bow into the wind. Had a powerboat that actually did but it was a directionably unstable boat.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #177
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Do you still have your Catalina? If so, do you take it out for a spin when you miss sailing?

I still have it only because I haven't sold it yet. I haven't taken it out much (although the last two days would have been great).

We have the boat stripped of all our personal gear so we haven't been taking it out sailing. I really should to just give the rigging some work.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #178
Guru

Convert trawler to motorsailer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	66145
Chainplates and shrouds? Don't know my terms.

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	66146
Back stay and chainplate.

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	66147
Mast boot thingy.

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	66148
Mast and boom

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	66149
Hoyt boom for jib
Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #179
Guru

Convert trawler to motorsailer?

Almost done.

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	66758
Dingy still fits on roof

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	66759
Playing with the winch.

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	66760
Mack Sails in Stuart did a good job. On budget. On time.

Test sail today. 4.5 knots SOG in about 10 knots of wind on a broad reach with no engine. That was better than I expected actually.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #180
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Have fun with your new(ish) toy