Hire a craftsman to build new lower helm pod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Escape is Mariner 37 hull #3 and it has some dated features that Helmsman changed over time. One of them is the small instrument pod at the lower helm. I can live with the limited dash space, but that compass is eating at me. To improve the compass to a larger flush mount design, I would need to either add a matching wood extension to the forward (or "back) of the instrument pod or rebuild the whole thing with a wider flat on the top to accommodate the compass. Anyone done something like that?

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 78
WOW, you are tight for space! I would change it. As to exactly how to lay it out is a matter of personnel preference.

WOW

From what I can see the newer Helmsman's make the most of the space available. You might want to get aboard one and take some measurements and pictures and hand them to a cabinetmaker for a cost estimate. Then decide if its worth it. I'd think likely worth it and add to resale ease and value.

A big improvement that you could do right away is to move the compass out of your sightline to another location where it's still usable but not in your way

Ken E gives a good suggestion. If you can't find room to do that then consider installing a simple bracket forward of (in front of) your current nav pod such that the compass is lower, less impact on your line of sight but still visible if you need it. Looks like you have room. Either solution is easy and quick and gives you time to find a craftsman and design the new nav pod to fit your needs and wants. Regarding flat top compassess, as good as they are to steer by I find steering by a dome compass easier than flat top compass unless there is room for a large flat top and it is located such that it's in my line of sight and fully in view with a slight downwards tip of my head. Too many years of steering by compass before all the electronics we take for granted.
Escape is Mariner 37 hull #3 and it has some dated features that Helmsman changed over time. One of them is the small instrument pod at the lower helm. I can live with the limited dash space, but that compass is eating at me. To improve the compass to a larger flush mount design, I would need to either add a matching wood extension to the forward (or "back) of the instrument pod or rebuild the whole thing with a wider flat on the top to accommodate the compass. Anyone done something like that?

A big improvement that you could do right away is to move the compass out of your sightline to another location where it's still usable but not in your way

I would start with the boat builder and see if they can build you a new version of the dash like the current model, if you like the current model. It won’t be cheap but maybe cheaper than a custom built one.

Regarding flat top compassess, as good as they are to steer by I find steering by a dome compass easier than flat top compass unless there is room for a large flat top and it is located such that it's in my line of sight and fully in view with a slight downwards tip of my head. Too many years of steering by compass before all the electronics we take for granted.

Poor choice of terms on my part, Portage. I meant to cite a flush mount dome compass like the Ritchie F-83. They take a wide flat spot and the top of my pod it just short of 3 inches front to back. Can't find one that small and I don't think I'd want it if I did!

f-83_1.jpg

Yes, flush mount is different than flat top. I'd still lean towards a bracket forward of the existing nav pod to get the compass out of the sight line yet still high enough to steer by as you look for a craftsman to build the new nav pod. You may just find it works well enough and you can spend the $$$ elsewhere on the boat.

Taking a 2nd look at your pic I'm thinking the exisitng bracket can be mounted on the forward vertical face of the nav pod at the optimum height. The compass tilted so it is upright. As for building an new pod I can see you can't go wider due to engine controls to starboard and a joy stick to port. You can only go deeper, that is forward. Or up, which you don't want to do. Other than asthetics I'm not seeing much advantage to building a new nav pod.
Poor choice of terms on my part, Portage. I meant to cite a flush mount dome compass like the Ritchie F-83. They take a wide flat spot and the top of my pod it just short of 3 inches front to back. Can't find one that small and I don't think I'd want it if I did!

f-83_1.jpg

Do you have any room in your overhead to relocate gauges and such up?

If you were in the Fr Lauderdal/Miami area, I would highly recommend
Dennis Boat Works. They have done all the wood working, inside and out, on my N46 and now my AT34. Discuss with him your needs, listen to his advice and then DO IT.
I will tell you, he ain’t cheap. His father got his start making furniture in Canada, moved to the States and started on boats. The son, Dennis, was trained for years under his Dad.

I look forward to being in the Miami area eventually, but we are in western Lake Erie for the immediate future.

Do you have any room in your overhead to relocate gauges and such up?

I'm not sure when Helmsman started boxing in the overhead. That was certainly an improvement, but hull 3 has nothing but a wood "valance" that is open at the bottom. It hides the blinds on side windows and we may well put blinds on the forward windows in time, but it is open at the bottom with no way to hide wires or the back of gauges.

That said, there is plenty of room on the bulkhead beside and behind the wheel to mount rarely used items like the battery combiner switch, FireBoy control, and remote windlass control.

I have thought about relocating the SmartCraft display and using the relevant data on a multifunction display. That would buy a lot of real estate on that panel without rebuilding the whole structure.

Attachments

• IMG_6206.jpeg
    IMG_6206.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'm not sure when Helmsman started boxing in the overhead. That was certainly an improvement, but hull 3 has nothing but a wood "valance" that is open at the bottom. It hides the blinds on side windows and we may well put blinds on the forward windows in time, but it is open at the bottom with no way to hide wires or the back of gauges.

Enclosing the valance may not be too big a job for a DIY project, if you decide it is worth it. The width of the valance opening would dictate whether it might be worth it to enclose. Hinging the new bottom to it would allow for updating equipment, etc.

We had a discussion recently about compasses. I believe it was in the new start thread, or in the hacks thread. The new Helmsman’s do not come with a compass. I just bought a good quality hand held one, and would use if I needed one. With redundant electronics, I think the need is less now than the old days.

If you want photos and measurements of a new helm station let me know and I will send you some.

I would start with the boat builder and see if they can build you a new version of the dash like the current model, if you like the current model.

The current model includes a bunch of great improvements over the original Mariner 37, but I would miss some of the "deck space" surrounding the lower helm instrument pod. Helmsman got rid of a lot of clutter like the trim tab controls and all those Cummins switches. Minimizing wiper switches and other controls would save a lot of space too, but that's not what I find limiting. My objective is to create enough space on the panel for a modest MFD.

Attachments

• Mariner 37 lower helm vs 38e.jpg
    Mariner 37 lower helm vs 38e.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 96
The new Helmsman’s do not come with a compass.

No compass? I get it, but I like the reassurance of a real compass and love the nod to tradition. The upper helm has a beefy stainless Ritchie binnacle compass. Perhaps a bit much, but I would miss it if it wasn't there.

nwimg-35539.jpg

No compass? I get it, but I like the reassurance of a real compass and love the nod to tradition. The upper helm has a beefy stainless Ritchie binnacle compass. Perhaps a bit much, but I would miss it if it wasn't there.

Fully understand. What about converting to this up in the valance? If I am reading it correctly, it is a “vertical” compass. That would eliminate it on top of the helm.

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/ritchie-navigation/product-21872-267147.html

Good idea, or install an overhead compass, which also distances it from all the wiring and electrical fields in your instrument cluster.

Attachments

• Riviera-Astra_01.jpg
    Riviera-Astra_01.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
Sheesh, my internet search skills are really letting me down. I had not seen that despite a significant amount of searching. Nice compromise right there. Thanks, Helmsman.

s-l300.jpg

On the topic of where to mount a compass:

I believe there is enough space between the forward edge of the companionway hatch and the center window to mount one. I’m not assuming anything until in my boat and can check, and get the feel for all line of sight issues.

Sheesh, my internet search skills are really letting me down. I had not seen that despite a significant amount of searching. Nice compromise right there. Thanks, Helmsman.

s-l300.jpg

Your welcome. Hodges marine has them for $49.

On both Fintry and Morning Light we have done without a traditional compass. Both have satellite compasses, several GPS inputs besides the satellite compasses, and backup fluxgate compasses. Both have redundant AC and DC power, including both 12VDC and 24VDC. As an all systems are dead backup we have a handheld GPS with lots of batteries and a small magnetic compass.

Jim

Compass

On the topic of where to mount a compass:

I believe there is enough space between the forward edge of the companionway hatch and the center window to mount one. I’m not assuming anything until in my boat and can check, and get the feel for all line of sight issues.

That is where previous owner mounted mine on hull #7. Quite workable, but in truth I never steer by compass. Doesnt much matter what your heading is if your going sideways! The autopilot fluxgate compass is much more accurate and I run my boat on AP 95% of the time, and most of that time tracking on routes. With our local strong tidal currents, and numerous rocks and reefs, routes with AP tracking is far more safer, precise and allows more attention to focus on watching for other hazards like logs, driftwood, seaweed mats, crab and shrimp pots and other vessels. Like paper charts, the magnetic compass is only useful as a backup. ⛵⛵️?⚓️?

Thanks for that.

The Chesapeake and ICW seems to be a bit different. Truth be told for much of it one could do fine with neither MFD nor compass, and just be mindful of basic location via a chart and visual cues and markers. Assuming of course one has visibility.

On both Fintry and Morning Light we have done without a traditional compass.

I have wondered about doing this myself. I am a bit embarrased to admit, but I am just awful steering to a compass without some sort of visual reference (dense fog, cloud/night, open ocean outside land). So I'm not sure how useful a compass is for me......

Peter

Back
Top Bottom