Engine performance curves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subcloner

Hi all,

Looking at options on a new 38E, and am wondering if there is engine performance data available from anyone for engines beyond the 250 (which has nice data from the OLN review)?

Considering the 380 is now the standard engine, and there are 3 other larger options (425, 480, 550), I'd love to know some solid stats on their performance in the 38E...

Thanks for any info/thoughts!

Thanks, but hoping for performance of the engine actually in the 38e (rather than just basic engine power curves from the engine manufacturer).

I'd think the hull manufacturer would have installed performance data for the larger engine (and appropriate larger prop) combinations...

Thanks, but hoping for performance of the engine actually in the 38e (rather than just basic engine power curves from the engine manufacturer).

So what you’re really looking for is boat performance data, not engine performance curves.

And some of us have no idea what a 38E is, so it may be beneficial to rephrase the inquiry overall(?).

So what you’re really looking for is boat performance data, not engine performance curves.

And some of us have no idea what a 38E is, so it may be beneficial to rephrase the inquiry overall(?).

And some may not know what a 250, 380, 425 ….. is.

And as noted above, you want real world boat performance data, not engine power curves. That is hard to come by.

I have never seen manufacturer supplied boat performance curves published, always by third parties.

David

Last edited:
I am surprised that this information is not available from the builder. The Sabre website has performance data for all boat and engine combinations. Performance data for a Sabre 38 with one of the three engine choices is attached.

My experience has been that the performance data accurately reflects real world performance with a clean bottom.

Attachments

• S38SE Volvo D6 370mHp IPS1 500 DD-124.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 21
I am surprised that this information is not available from the builder. The Sabre website has performance data for all boat and engine combinations. Performance data for a Sabre 38 with one of the three engine choices is attached.

My experience has been that the performance data accurately reflects real world performance with a clean bottom.

Check the fine print on those numbers. A lot of times (perhaps most of the time) those performance numbers are predicted, not measured. And when they are measured, it's invariably with a very light boat. I would give very low weight to any published boat performance numbers. I have just heard too many where I know it's wrong because I own or have owned the same boat and got nothing like what's reported.

Check the fine print on those numbers. A lot of times (perhaps most of the time) those performance numbers are predicted, not measured. And when they are measured, it's invariably with a very light boat. I would give very low weight to any published boat performance numbers. I have just heard too many where I know it's wrong because I own or have owned the same boat and got nothing like what's reported.

I see the Saber numbers are actual measured numbers, and they have provided a lot of detail. Good on them - that's rare. The only thing I don't see is whether they did reciprocal runs and averaged to try to take out the effects of wind and seas.

Hi all,

Looking at options on a new 38E, and am wondering if there is engine performance data available from anyone for engines beyond the 250 (which has nice data from the OLN review)?

Considering the 380 is now the standard engine, and there are 3 other larger options (425, 480, 550), I'd love to know some solid stats on their performance in the 38E...

Thanks for any info/thoughts!

Sent you a PM with my own experiences with our new 38 Sedan with a 550 hp Cummins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom