Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Decals?

You bought a new boat and you're going to use decals?

Yeah, hire a "Marine Painter" to do it right - :)

Another great Helmsman Rendezvous

A great big thank you to the whole Helmsman staff and family for another great Helmsman Rendezvous this weekend. It is so great to be able meet so many fellow Helmsman owners and soon to be Helmsman owners. We always learn so much from each other. See you all next year.:)

Decals?

You bought a new boat and you're going to use decals?

Yeah, hire a "Marine Painter" to do it right - :)

Close to 100% of the names and graphics put on boats of all ages and values over the last few years have been vinyl.

There is still the opportunity to drive up the cost and complexity by doing something like back-lighted stainless steel letters, but there aren't many sign painters left out there.

We just made the second part of a 280 mile run up the Tennessee River to the home port. Before leaving we had the boat detailed. The detailer talked me into polishing the boat with a polymer, with the intent to protect the finish until this fall. He went over how to strip the polymer and apply the Permanon ceramic that I already have. My approach will be to do sections of the boat over a month’s time, beginning with the bright work.

The trip was from Guntersville Al to Scottsboro the first day. We stayed at Goose Pond Marina that evening. We then did the bulk of the trip the second day, running from Scottsboro to Island Cove Marina on the north side of Chattanooga. It was a rainy day, and with four on board we split piloting the boat, while others watched TV, visited, and watched the world go by. The boat is so solid, and runs so smoothly, that even with a very rainy day, we really enjoyed the trip. The third day was a beautiful sunny day with 10 to 15 mile an hour winds for a 27 mile trip. A great trip on a great boat. All systems were flawless.

With the boat home, it is time to finish setting it up the way we want it.

This trip was the last part of the four part trip of the Mishy Jean to her home port. As the second party to the “switched at berth” with Doug and Patti, our boat came from Asia to Seattle, then over the road to Iuka Ms where she was commissioned, and on to Guntersville where she was berthed at Alred Marina, where work was completed that was not addressed in Mississippi. Alred Marina was fantastic, an extremely professional group, great place to have a boat, and Guntersville is a bit of a hidden secret. Wonderful, welcoming town. If you ever come up the Tennessee, make a point to stop there, and run over to the City Dock for lunch or dinner. Their yard is small, but Russ Cranford and his team are the best I have dealt with in thirty years of boating.

So, now a re-plan is underway to determine cruising for the rest of the year on a great boat with a great support network which includes the Helmsman team and all of the owners who participate here. A special shout out to Van Helker who has made sure the process was as painless as possible, while doing a wonderful job training us on our boat, and teaching us throughout the past few months.

Last edited:
It’s great to hear that our wayward boats are both at home and actively engaged in the pleasure of boating. The Helmsman Trawlers Rendezvous in Port Townsend was an amazing gathering of Helmspeople and their boats. It would have been even better if you could have joined us but it looks like you are getting some great use of Mishy Jean. This was only our second outing with a three week trip to Europe between the two. Now we’re ready get out and explore the Salish Sea and beyond knowing how comfortable we can be afloat.

Coming home, we had some pretty impressive waves crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We never had any doubts about the boat’s ability to get us home.

Vulcan 25 and Factory Bale

Apologies for asking a question I am certain exists in the bowels of the more than 1500 posts to this string ( reminder that it may be time to start some new strings?). But has anyone put a Vulcan 25 kg on their 38e and kept the factory bale, or do you need to swap it out for a taller bale?

Thanks.

Jeff

Apologies for asking a question I am certain exists in the bowels of the more than 1500 posts to this string ( reminder that it may be time to start some new strings?). But has anyone put a Vulcan 25 kg on their 38e and kept the factory bale, or do you need to swap it out for a taller bale?

Thanks.

Jeff

Yep, there has been a brief discussion of that, but I suspect it would be hard to find in a search.

My H38 arrives in a month, so not done it yet, but will. From every pic and measurement I can do remotely (without the boat) the Vulcan shank won't fit under the factory bale. The curved shank lifts too high. My plan is to get a hoop style of bale. I'll order one once I can take direct measurements.

Not your question, but there is a related piece of gear I'll probably get. I don't think the Vulcan shape will snug up against the roller assembly well, and be prone to flopping around a bit. I recently stumbled upon this additional bit of gear which promises to solve that.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-anchor-guard/

Register your engine?

Hi, Just as summer begins, I'm on the final round of getting parts and setting up the boat for our 3-month cruise. I will have a few notes going out regarding some purchases and getting the vessel ready later.

But wanted to note ... For any major purchase, and for those recent and future Helmsman owners, I strongly recommend registering your engine. With Cummins, you will be notified if there are any service bulletins. If you haven’t, then check with a local Cummins dealer providing your engine and serial number and they should be able to tell you if there are any campaigns regarding your system.

Tom

Hey Tom. When you are all set, maybe share with us your spares list?

Those who are following this summer’s Slowboat cruise (and like us are thinking about spares for a trip to SE Alaska next summer) will have seen this drama involving a seized alternator.

https://slowboat.com/2023/05/day-19-2023-flotilla-to-alaska-ketchikan-to-thoms-place/

An earlier Slowboat trip had alternator drama as well, with some challenges with swapping the pulley.

That’s a pretty pricey spare for a boat with only 1000 hours on it (ours), but it might be worth it because you are DIW without it.

Hoping you and Jill are spending all your spare time messing around in Em Bark (woof!).

Hi, Just as summer begins, I'm on the final round of getting parts and setting up the boat for our 3-month cruise. I will have a few notes going out regarding some purchases and getting the vessel ready later.

But wanted to note ... For any major purchase, and for those recent and future Helmsman owners, I strongly recommend registering your engine. With Cummins, you will be notified if there are any service bulletins. If you haven’t, then check with a local Cummins dealer providing your engine and serial number and they should be able to tell you if there are any campaigns regarding your system.

Tom

Tom:
Good suggestion to create a Cummins Quickserve account:
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/
Register your Cummins engine and Onan genset.
A lot of useful information on that website once you are registered.
I'll look forward to your posts.
Thanks
Robert

New hand rails!

Jill requested to have the factory make and send two additional handrails.

Kevin came up to the San Juans to install two factory-made additional corner handrails that Jill ordered. She loves them. Looks awesome like they were installed at the factory.

Pros:
Extra handhold boarding
Hang a fender from the 1st floor (as you prep to go out the door stepping on the dock)
Hang your BBQ and no grease drips on the swim platform or back stern
Hang a dock line or two inside
Provides a rest for boxes/things, not scratching your gelcoat when boarding
Install a scotty rail mount that leaves no holes or plates on the stern. (12volt plug required on stern)
Bar to pull and ease the boat to the dock if dock line is tied too loose.

Cons:
Makes the stern a little bit busier (or not?)

Attachments

• hand rails.jpg
    hand rails.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 24
Jill requested to have the factory make and send two additional handrails.

Kevin came up to the San Juans to install two factory-made additional corner handrails that Jill ordered. She loves them. Looks awesome like they were installed at the factory.

Pros:
Extra handhold boarding
Hang a fender from the 1st floor (as you prep to go out the door stepping on the dock)
Hang your BBQ and no grease drips on the swim platform or back stern
Hang a dock line or two inside
Provides a rest for boxes/things, not scratching your gelcoat when boarding
Install a scotty rail mount that leaves no holes or plates on the stern. (12volt plug required on stern)
Bar to pull and ease the boat to the dock if dock line is tied too loose.

Cons:
Makes the stern a little bit busier (or not?)

Tom: Very nice addition, the handhold on the corner is most convenient. On the 46, there will be a cleat just forward of each corner.

Vulcan perfection

Yep, there has been a brief discussion of that, but I suspect it would be hard to find in a search.

My H38 arrives in a month, so not done it yet, but will. From every pic and measurement I can do remotely (without the boat) the Vulcan shank won't fit under the factory bale. The curved shank lifts too high. My plan is to get a hoop style of bale. I'll order one once I can take direct measurements.

Not your question, but there is a related piece of gear I'll probably get. I don't think the Vulcan shape will snug up against the roller assembly well, and be prone to flopping around a bit. I recently stumbled upon this additional bit of gear which promises to solve that.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-anchor-guard/

I remember the discussion on the Vulcan and I purchased one for the Embark as a main and dropped the Bruce in the hatch for the backup.

Here is the pictures of what we have. While it sounds like some folks optimized the setup, I'm going with the setup as is. When we pull the anchor up we always are careful hauling up and setting the anchor in, regardless of the boat. I actually think it works well. Take a look and let me know why we need to do anything else. It fits snug and slightly compresses the rubber roller. I would assume if you hammered down you could have issues if the clutch wasn't adjusted right. Just don't have a rookie bring the anchor up and slam it. Anchored several times, no problem.
Its a nice snug fit. and releases easily. Tied a snubber to it to prevent any accidental release.

Should I be concerned? Comments?

Attachments

• anchor 1.jpg
    anchor 1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 15
  • anchor 2.jpg
    anchor 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 13
  • anchor 3.jpg
    anchor 3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 14
Embarks spare parts list for the 3 month inside passage

MV Kiskadee spares list for recent SE Alaska cruise.
-Hull and prop shaft anodes
-Thruster anodes
-Thruster shear pins
-Pencil anodes for heat exchangers and transmission
-Gulper or shower water sump pump
-Water pump
-Macerator pump
-Serpentine engine belt
-Water pump impeller
-Engine oil filter
-Engine fuel filter
-Racor fuel filters
-Engine oil filter genset
-Transmission oil filter
-Bilge pump
-Engine oil
-Transmission fluid
-Engine coolant
-Various thread seal compounds and lubricants
-Various amp rated 2 pin auto fuses
-Various stainless-steel clamps
-Assorted plastic zip ties
-Two 5 gallon plastic containers for waste oil when changing oil with Reverso.
-One gallon diesel for filling receptacles after installing new Racor filters.
-Shore power cord replacement ends
-Spare shore power cord
-50 amp, 20 amp to 30 amp adapters.
-Various sizes of batteries for flashlights and remotes
-RV water filter
-Water hoses
Pretty basic list, and probably missing some items.

Thanks Robert - I plagiarized a bit.

This spare parts list is for our 2023 38E Embark. She has the 380hp cummins 6.7L, no watermaker, no gen set, 5 house batts and solar.

Tab 1 is the list, categories, parts, part numbers (you all need to double check for your engine, config) and where I bought them.

Tab 2 is a start on the boat map where to find it.

I am not including my spare parts fishing gear. Thats top secret and too long to list.

Let me know if this link doesn't work. I haven't link to one drive on this forum, so lets try.. let me know if it doesn't work.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqSv5ZU-1h2Mi_4UdCzHGD2XVfUC5g?e=YEH1OT

Worked perfectly. Many thanks. Now to populate both the list and some boxes with stuff for our boat. Trying to stay a step ahead…

Cheers,
Scott

I remember the discussion on the Vulcan and I purchased one for the Embark as a main and dropped the Bruce in the hatch for the backup.

Here is the pictures of what we have. While it sounds like some folks optimized the setup, I'm going with the setup as is. When we pull the anchor up we always are careful hauling up and setting the anchor in, regardless of the boat. I actually think it works well. Take a look and let me know why we need to do anything else. It fits snug and slightly compresses the rubber roller. I would assume if you hammered down you could have issues if the clutch wasn't adjusted right. Just don't have a rookie bring the anchor up and slam it. Anchored several times, no problem.
Its a nice snug fit. and releases easily. Tied a snubber to it to prevent any accidental release.

Should I be concerned? Comments?

Concerned? Don't think so.

This is why I have not ordered any parts to make changes to the setup. I want to see how things work first.

Way back when, I was sent pictures of a Vulcan on a H38. The bale bar had been removed. Pulled up tight, the top edge of the shank of the Vulcan was maybe a half inch higher than where the bale bar would have been. It was pulled in closer than you, deeper into the turn of the shank and getting snug that way. In your case it appears you are getting snug by pulling it in tight against the bale bar.

So to me, what you show is nothing but good news for me. It works with no changes at all to the stock roller assembly. That takes off of my must-do-immediately list the need to do something about this.

Leaving 4 options. There is no way I'd choose between them from an armchair perspective. Need the boat and anchor and experience with it, and then choose a preference. But seems to me all 4 can work, and its about preference.
1) Leave everything as-is and do it your way
2) Remove the bale bar and snug it deeper into the turn of the shank, as per the example sent to me in pictures months ago.
3) Remove the bale bar, but add in a hoop style bar, just so it doesn't get loose bouncing in some head seas
4) #3, but add the Mantus gadget so that it snugs against that.

The obvious path is start your way with #1, and take it from there.

Many thanks for sharing that.

Spares list and spreadsheet

Tom-Jill-Lilly: Thanks, was able to download. Nice job.

I asked Scott to add cleats midship and aft during the build, in addition to the hawse cleats. They are circled in blue. When side tied only and using multiple lines it has been helpful. Also made towing a large dinghy that was too big to crane up easier.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 26
Fletcher 500: Thanks for that add, and probably why Scott added cleats above each hawse cleat in the 46.

I asked Scott to add cleats midship and aft during the build, in addition to the hawse cleats. They are circled in blue. When side tied only and using multiple lines it has been helpful. Also made towing a large dinghy that was too big to crane up easier.

I added cleats on the cockpit sides, too. Have been happy to have them.

A belated thanks to Tom for his parts and supplies list. Very thorough and very useful. Also thanks for the Vulcan info. I think I will just start with the anchor and a Mantus swivel and see how things go from there.

I want to refresh the inside sole (floor) as i have a few wear points after 16 years. Does any of the new Helmsman owners know what is used or is it "email Scott" time.
Many thanks

Wish mine had these. Adding spring cleats by the bridge steps is pretty easy, but adding them to the aft corners is a bear.

I want to refresh the inside sole (floor) as i have a few wear points after 16 years. Does any of the new Helmsman owners know what is used or is it "email Scott" time.
Many thanks

Kinda two questions. 1) what was used 16 years ago, and 2) what is used now.

All I know is its a two part varnish used today. It may not even be available in the US. So beyond that sparse info, yeah its "ask Scott."

Many thanks

I had asked about this a while back and this was a recommended approach

https://www.totalboat.com/blogs/tot...varnish-a-durable-coating-for-your-brightwork

Apply by brush and sand with 240 grit sandpaper between coats. The boat has 7 to 9 coats, I believe. Final coat sanded with 320 grit.

Then use this for the final coat

Varathane clear oil based satin interior polyurethane spray 11 oz

One of the decisions we made during the build was to go without blinds, and put curtains in. My wife felt like it would soften the interior. Here are pictures of how they turned out.

Pros: They do break the wood interior up. They also were fairly easy to put in, and they do block the sun. They also soften the wood interior as my wife hoped they would.

Cons: The Helmsman blinds are well made, and look really good (I like them better than the curtains and have seen and used them on Helmsman43’s boat.) The curtains block a little of the view out the windows when raised, particularly the two where you don’t want that by the cockpit door. That problem could be eliminated by using pleated shades of some type.

On the port and starboard doors, and the port and starboard windows forward of those doors, we had some simple shades made from the same material that hangs from hooks. Those are taken down and placed in a drawer when not in use, but serve as sun and privacy shades.

I thought pictures might help others thinking about replacing blinds with some type of shades or curtains.

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 22
Lisa found a recliner and also two ottomans which have storage inside. They fit well and we have found them useful. From order to receipt was about 8 weeks. The ottomans are in the post just before this one. They were purchased from Glastop Marine Furniture.

The rugs were made from one larger rug, which was cut and re-bound. There is also a rug covering the engine hatch in the PH, and a small rug at each of the two PH doors.

The two pictures are showing up sideways for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom