Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks.
SE Alaska, and British Columbia are destinations which many PNW boaters aspire to visit. The BC Coast, Juneau, Sitka, Petersburg, Wrangell, Ketchikan and Glacier Bay (glaciers) are major attractions. Many start from Seattle and the Puget Sound. Our home port is Port Ludlow. For us we wanted to experience Alaska's beautiful, mostly unspoiled country, abundant wildlife and stay in attractive anchorages described in many publications on the area. Indeed, it's was a challenge to safely travel all that way on the water and return, with a rich experience.
I've seen the 43 on Boattest.com which is very nice and well done. Our 46 will have a Kingston grey hull with a navy blue boot stripe. Topsides will be white with grey textured non-skid panels. We chose this scheme for our 38E. And yes, we will have a hardtop.

Thanks.
SE Alaska, and British Columbia are destinations which many PNW boaters aspire to visit. The BC Coast, Juneau, Sitka, Petersburg, Wrangell, Ketchikan and Glacier Bay (glaciers) are major attractions. Many start from Seattle and the Puget Sound. Our home port is Port Ludlow. For us we wanted to experience Alaska's beautiful, mostly unspoiled country, abundant wildlife and stay in attractive anchorages described in many publications on the area. Indeed, it's was a challenge to safely travel all that way on the water and return, with a rich experience.
I've seen the 43 on Boattest.com which is very nice and well done. Our 46 will have a Kingston grey hull with a navy blue boot stripe. Topsides will be white with grey textured non-skid panels. We chose this scheme for our 38E. And yes, we will have a hardtop.

Nice. Same color scheme as ours. We will have a black boot stripe however.

Sounds like beautiful cruising grounds.

Welcome “Off Leash” to the Helmsman Clan

Good morning. Barbara and I took ownership of Kiskadee yesterday. A beautifully cared for 2020 38e out of Port Ludlow that completed an epic adventure to SE Alaska this summer. The owners handed off a pristine boat to us (confirmed by mechanical and general survey) for which we will be forever grateful. Lucky us. Scott Helker handled this with great skill and compassion for us.

After some unpleasant fits and starts, we sold our RT 29CB yesterday also. A longer cautionary tale for a later post about that, without naming names of the jerk who stiffed us at the last minute. Not bitter, just ticked off because he wrecked our cruising plans with another couple.

We are naming our new to us boat “Off Leash” for many reasons. One, it is destined to be a dog boat. Two, it is a metaphor, of course. And three, it is what colleagues say about one of us (Jeff) when he shoots his mouth off in the press about water in California.

Off Leash will live on D dock in Elliott Bay Marina and be our home for visiting grandchildren when we come up from Davis (second one arrives in a few weeks) and our summer base of operations.

Finally, we will have lots of questions for folks on this forum. We have stuff in boxes and all over the place as we colonize this new, much larger space (although kudos to Ranger Tugs for their space-efficient designs, especially in the galley and head). At the top of the list will be about how to get rid of the PNW musty funk smell. But we will save that for a later post.

Nice to be a new member of the Helmsman clan. See you on the water! And thanks Waterline Boats for being so helpful.

Jeff and Barbara

Good morning. Barbara and I took ownership of Kiskadee yesterday. A beautifully cared for 2020 38e out of Port Ludlow that completed an epic adventure to SE Alaska this summer. The owners handed off a pristine boat to us (confirmed by mechanical and general survey) for which we will be forever grateful. Lucky us. Scott Helker handled this with great skill and compassion for us.

After some unpleasant fits and starts, we sold our RT 29CB yesterday also. A longer cautionary tale for a later post about that, without naming names of the jerk who stiffed us at the last minute. Not bitter, just ticked off because he wrecked our cruising plans with another couple.

We are naming our new to us boat “Off Leash” for many reasons. One, it is destined to be a dog boat. Two, it is a metaphor, of course. And three, it is what colleagues say about one of us (Jeff) when he shoots his mouth off in the press about water in California.

Off Leash will live on D dock in Elliott Bay Marina and be our home for visiting grandchildren when we come up from Davis (second one arrives in a few weeks) and our summer base of operations.

Finally, we will have lots of questions for folks on this forum. We have stuff in boxes and all over the place as we colonize this new, much larger space (although kudos to Ranger Tugs for their space-efficient designs, especially in the galley and head). At the top of the list will be about how to get rid of the PNW musty funk smell. But we will save that for a later post.

Nice to be a new member of the Helmsman clan. See you on the water! And thanks Waterline Boats for being so helpful.

Jeff and Barbara

Congratulations! I think you will be very happy with your new boat. Here’s to many safe and happy adventures. Looking forward to hearing more about the boat after you get her situated the way you want her.

Thanks. We are on day 3 with the boat, learning all the systems. It is such an interesting experience coming from a nimble and fast RT-29CB to this, shall we say, more “deliberate” displacement boat three times the size. Got great advice on close quarters maneuvering from Scott Helker who is a patient teacher with a sense of humor. Much needed when an RT owner takes the helm and just charges into the slip. Slow is pro with this beast (I realize it is small by Trawler Forum standards, but it is immense to us).

And we found the source of most of the PNW funk. The forward bilge is not supposed to have water in it on the newer design. There is a dam in the bilge in the engine room that keeps it dry except when things really get wet. Looks like water has been in there a while. We pumped it out by hand, cleaned it, hit it with a hefty dose of Pure Ayre (recommended by the Headmistress on this forum) and things are much improved. So check that forward bilge.

Loving this slow boat. So spacious!

Jeff and Barbara

Thanks. We are on day 3 with the boat, learning all the systems. It is such an interesting experience coming from a nimble and fast RT-29CB to this, shall we say, more “deliberate” displacement boat three times the size. Got great advice on close quarters maneuvering from Scott Helker who is a patient teacher with a sense of humor. Much needed when an RT owner takes the helm and just charges into the slip.

Jeff and Barbara,

Congratulations on your beautiful new boat.

We have been trying to imagine the process of learning how to operate and handle our new 38E. Please post as much information as you can about the learning experience. We are hopeful that “ Alba Bella” will be ready to ship from the factory within a month and we’ll be going through commissioning and familiarization this fall. We’re moving up from a 32 foot Bayliner with twin screws so we have a lot to learn. I have been watching every possible YouTube video and visualizing myself at the helm. We have been experiencing the 38E with VR headsets and some 360 images Scott shared with us. I’m sure actually taking the helm will be an eye opener.

We would love to hear everything you discover about the boat and any suggestions you might have for new Helmsman Trawlers owners.

We are not the only ones moving up from a quick semi-displacement boat to a lumbering pilot house trawler, so others chip in here.

Today we took the boat through the Ballard Locks on Labor Day weekend. Very festive. We were amused by how many fenders we inherited with the boat from the previous owners, and today we realized why. It was so nice just to fender up, especially when a brisk south wind pins you against a rough concrete wall. And even though I have a lot of experience driving smaller single screw diesel boats, the slow reaction times, the carrying of momentum, and the better resistance to a cross wind and current of the Helmsman is taking getting used to.

Scott’s sage advice yesterday was great. In our Ranger Tug we just glided into a slip, kind of like landing a plane. Although the tiny rudder made it challenging. Scott insisted that I give this practice up. He had me bring the boat up to the slip, centered on the fairway. I would then arrest all forward momentum before starting a turn. Then using a back-and-fill with bow thrusters you rotate the boat until it is lined up for the slip and then gently glide in.

Of course, I have yet to do this in more than 15 kts of cross wind, but it is a good start.

He also had us backing out of tight spaces using hard-over helm and brief idle-forward bursts to turn the boat before backing up. All stuff to learn when you move up to a trawler.

As a side note, we decided to downsize our dinghy. We had/have/inherited a brand new 11’ Achilles aluminum RIB with a Suzuki motor. We just set up our new Takacat with an ePropulsion electric motor this afternoon. Long story about why we prefer this set up more, but it has its limits. But for those of you who are waiting for your soon-to-arrive boat, Scott has a screaming good deal on this dinghy and motor for you.

What I was really struck by today is how slow the boat is. Forget those fuel/speed curves that are posted on-line. Our 380 hp engine can’t get this thing to go ten knots at WOT and gulping down fuel. But at slow speed (<7.5 kts) the boat is very efficient. Just as efficient as my Ranger tug.

Enough. Others chime in!

Jeff

I’d also practice that with out using the bow thruster. If you do have strong winds you can over heat and shut down the electric motor. If wind is too strong, then go find another spot as a thruster can’t overcome that. With a single engine you will discover a preferred docking side using prop walk.

Last edited:
What I was really struck by today is how slow the boat is. Forget those fuel/speed curves that are posted on-line. Our 380 hp engine can’t get this thing to go ten knots at WOT and gulping down fuel. But at slow speed (<7.5 kts) the boat is very efficient. Just as efficient as my Ranger tug.

Jeff

I need to correct the record here. For whatever reason, our boat does not perform at high rpm’s to the performance curves posted online. That is something I will work with Scott on to try and figure out. Scott personally built those curves. Given this guy’s integrity, I have to amend my comments, because if he made them, I believe them.

Jeff

I need to correct the record here. For whatever reason, our boat does not perform at high rpm’s to the performance curves posted online. That is something I will work with Scott on to try and figure out. Scott personally built those curves. Given this guy’s integrity, I have to amend my comments, because if he made them, I believe them.

Jeff

Jeff, What was the bottom like at survey time? Sometimes if it hasn’t been cleaned in a while that could slow the boat some.

Takacat and Fenders

Jeff,

A couple of questions when you get a minute.

I have been looking at the Takacats. What size did you get, what motor size, and does the performance match what you expected?

How many fenders do you have on board?

Enough. Others chime in!

Jeff
I’m very interested in this comment, and am hopeful that other 38E owners will chime in. Do you feel the boat is correctly propped? While I’m comfortable cruising economically at 7.5 (currently back being sailboaters), when we transition back to power in a couple years, I definitely would prefer a boat that can fast cruise at 8 - 9 when needed and hopefully run 10 - 11 WOT. Curious what others are honestly experiencing. The 38E is currently our front runner as we consider our next boat.

Jeff,

A couple of questions when you get a minute.

I have been looking at the Takacats. What size did you get, what motor size, and does the performance match what you expected?

How many fenders do you have on board?

Easy answers. We got the Takacat 300LX, although if they had the 300S in stock we would have preferred that. To be clear we are trying to downsize stuff on the flybridge. The 11’ Achilles (see Scott for a great deal) took too much space, since we also have two kayaks (although we have moved those to the outside railings using a Magma kayak rack). I would think if you are going to regularly have four people plus a dog or two, you would want the bigger boat. Especially if you like zooming around anchorages. Also, the Takacat is amazingly stable, loads and unloads dogs easily, and is so lightweight one person can easily drag it up the beach on its wheels. We know this dingy well since we had one on our Ranger Tug.

We powered the dingy with an ePropulsion Sprit 1.0. We had a Torqeedo, but decided to give the Spirit a shot on the recommendation of Scott. It is a bit faster, the battery floats, and it goes farther on a charge. But I have not really put it through its paces yet.

As for fenders, this is the source of some amusement and gratitude. This boat came solidly fendered, with five standard fenders on each side (!) and two balls for side ties. That is a lot of fenders to wrangle and we will almost certainly cut back to four or three. When the big south blows in Elliott Bay Marina come in the winter, it is probably prudent to put out at least four fenders.

We finally have everything put away and are loving the new boat. What a palace compared to the Ranger Tug.

Jeff

Because I didn't need to, I rarely if ever had Kiskadee's Cummins up to WOT. Cruising at 7-8 kts was always the focus for fuel economy and comfort. During our Alaska trip, I went up to 2k RPM for up to four hours at a stretch in rough, windy seas, achieving an average speed of 10 kts, with a fuel burn of 8-10 gph. This happened on five separate days when the weather was pretty bad: rain, wind, following seas, and we got caught. Generally, if the sea and weather conditions weren't good or safe enough for comfortable cruising, we stayed put, until better weather arrived. Overall, I was very pleased with the performance of the QSB6.7 380hp turbo in all sea conditions. The engine’s electronic control module (ECM) is programmed for fuel economy at cruise rpm, not wide-open throttle, according to Cummins. Maybe it might be worth it to have them plug into the ECM and check the engine's programming.

To Phrycooler. For our 38E, at 8-9 kts, the fuel burn was 5-7 gph on calm seas, light winds. Engine noise was still acceptable. I once had a 43' express cruiser, with twin 250 HP 4-stk OB's, getting up to 35kts in open water. I prefer slow cruising these days and the 38E was more than excellent at that.

Ok. I want to resurrect the anchor discussion for the 38E. I went back and re-read the discussion on anchors around page 33-34. It seems that folks that are going with the Rocna, plan to go with the Rocna Vulcan. However, as I researched it, I found that the original Rocna with the “bow” over the top looks like it would work, also. It looks similar to the Bruce type anchor.

As a note, I plan to keep the Bruce anchor as a spare for extra holding in weather situations.

Is there a reason for choosing the Vulcan versus the original Rocna?

The Helmsman folks claim their Bruce is fine. Proof they cite is our boat (formerly Kiskadee now Off Leash) went to Alaska and back with no dragging issues. But my own real world experiences with Bruce anchors has been less than stellar, which is why we upgraded to a Rockna on the last boat and had zero issues, including some impressive storm tests.

That said, go immerse yourself in these real world tests and see for yourself a side by side comparison by SV Panope

https://youtu.be/smgWTtFuk3U

I believe vIdeo 131 has a complete review of the Vulcan. We too will be retiring our admittedly gorgeous ss bruce to second anchor duty. Not until next summer though.

The Helmsman folks claim their Bruce is fine. Proof they cite is our boat (formerly Kiskadee now Off Leash) went to Alaska and back with no dragging issues. But my own real world experiences with Bruce anchors has been less than stellar, which is why we upgraded to a Rockna on the last boat and had zero issues, including some impressive storm tests.

That said, go immerse yourself in these real world tests and see for yourself a side by side comparison by SV Panope

https://youtu.be/smgWTtFuk3U

I believe vIdeo 131 has a complete review of the Vulcan. We too will be retiring our admittedly gorgeous ss bruce to second anchor duty. Not until next summer though.

Thanks!. I have watched those in the past. I am settled on a Rocna. Just wondering which Rocna would fit the boat. FWT had decided on the Rocna Vulcan after studying it a little. It requires a different bale.

Which Rocna will you put on?

I did take your counsel and look at the ratings again on the video. I had forgotten that the original Rocna scored low while the Vulcan was much higher.

Last edited:
The Vulcan. That video I sent ranks it very high. Yes, there may be some fussing with the bale, but others here can chime in. I have seen lots of Rocna 20 anchors on Helmsman’s, btw, so I assume you will have no fit issues. I also recommend a Manta anchor swivel. Works fantastic.

Spending my children’s inheritance with abandon.

Sounds like you are going with a Rocna; all good. I have used the Helmsman provided Bruce for 5 seasons now which has included some days with high winds and white foamies around me. No dragging issues, works like a champ. I actually ordered another one to keep at home as a spare.

How is the build coming along?

Of the 2 Rocna designs, the Vulcan is the better anchor. It tests better than the original Rocna in most cases that I've seen.

I'd also say a 20 kg / 44 lb is too small for an H38. It's a size below what Rocna recommends as well. I've got a 73 lb Vulcan on my boat which is very close in size to the H38 but a little bit lighter.

Yes. I have a Rocna Vulcan 25 sitting in my garage. I saw it on sale and figured it wasn't going to get cheaper before I need it. A Mantus swivel just arrived to go with it.

Boy anchors and "best" has changed since I last bought an anchor.

A couple of observations from going through the Panope clips and doing the basic google search reviews and various boat site forum comments:

Pretty much ALL of the "modern" anchors test better than older models. Having said that, there are indeed a lot of PNW boaters that still seem to swear by the Bruce style that is the Helmsman standard equipment.

Second would be that the Panope tests on different size anchors show some differences in "best" and the ratings by brand. I'll hold off on typing guesses on why that might be to avoid extended anchor war conversation. But the key point to make is to look at the data on YOUR size.

Third, I find it interesting that between the original Mantus and Rocna, both with hoops, the Mantus tested better of the two. But between the later non-hoop Vulcan and the M2 the Rocna Vulcan tested better. (and I would note that some review sites discuss testing a "Rocna" without being clear WHICH Rocna is tested). In our size the hoop Rocna has results that don't make sense to me, doing very well in soft mud and poorly in sandy mud. I'd look deeper into that.

Four, in the waters I expect to cruise cobblestone isn't likely to be seen. I throw out and ignore data on that, and just look at his soft mud and sandy mud.

Five, if mud is the bottom expected, the Fortress is often chosen but Panope doesn't test it regularly. It appears that sucker will dig down to china. Getting a release is apparently challenging. I have a question in my mind about stresses on a deep bury when wind and tide has shifted.

Here's the link to the most recent review of any anchor in our size, and the point is the chart of results near the end. But pay attention to the exact size per anchor. Its not a perfect matchup.

Sounds like you are going with a Rocna; all good. I have used the Helmsman provided Bruce for 5 seasons now which has included some days with high winds and white foamies around me. No dragging issues, works like a champ. I actually ordered another one to keep at home as a spare.

How is the build coming along?

Hi Fletcher We have a lot of sand here on the east coast and the rivers are mud. The plan is to have two anchors so, I thought I would get another to have for big blows, so I decided to get another another type. I may end up keeping the Bruce as the main anchor.

The build is coming along well. I believe the yard has everything they need to complete the boat now, and I anticipate completion around the end of September, give or take a couple of weeks. Deliveries to the East coast are around 6 weeks. So I would anticipate seeing the boat on the Gulf coast around mid to late November, barring any unforeseen issues.

Like everyone, Helmsman has had its share of supply chain issues. It has to be frustrating for some buyers who are building boats and had plans around receiving earlier than the actual delivery date. But I really haven’t given it a second thought. It is much more important to me that the boat is delivered with the options I asked for, and the detail that Helmsman is known for is there. It has to be frustrating for the folks at Helmsman, also. But, they have been great with feedback, and excellent advise about elements of the boat, and keeping me up to speed on the known unknowns. For those considering a purchase, Some of the major supply chain issues are easing.

The boat pictures indicate that a lot of the interior is getting to a finished state, and some electrical is underway. It has been a lot of fun getting the pictures. I had wanted to visit the yard, but didn’t even look into it given the issues over the past year. I have spent quite a bit of time all over Asia while working, and would have enjoyed the trip and the opportunity to thank the workers at the yard.

I have been spending the time that I can devote to the boat getting the lists of the remaining equipment I need to purchase together, working on a maintenance log, and continuing my study of the components of the boat. In two or three weeks or so, I will set up the Furuno electronics and the boat internet in my garage, download the latest software, and make sure everything is working and set up the way I want it set up.

I need to set up a trip to look at the electronics install on a newer Helmsman to get some measurements for final orders of cables, wiring and antennas, etc. Once the delivery location is known, I will plan a trip to talk to local vendors for a couple of things.

I have also spent quite a bit of time with a good friend who is building a 43 (Helmsman43 on this forum). He is a close friend of over 30 years and will be receiving his 43 probably in December. He will probably take delivery in or around Savannah. I plan to head down there after he receives his boat and get a couple of rides on it with him this winter!

More than you asked for, I am sure, but that is where we are as of today.

Last edited:
Helmsman, sounds like things are coming along. That should be fun mocking up your electronics prior to the install and a smart idea.

Recommended dehumidifiers?

Changing topics again. We continue to chase leaks because we are smelly bilge obsessed wackos. Our forward bilge got water from a leaking Marco water pump strainer—now replaced—and a very slow leak from the anchor locker we have yet to resolve but will tackle shortly. Fortunately, that is a rough weather phenomenon. And the occasional leak from the shower sump into the engine bilge was resolved by a thorough cleaning of all parts. If any of you are having slow drain problems from the forward shower, we recommend a vigorous plunger application. The limited drop between the forward shower and the sump allows stuff to both collect and grow in the drain pipe. We removed a lot of gunk, solving the drain problem.

But that brings up the fact that the days are getting shorter and cooler and the boat lives in the PNW. Since we leave our boat alone for weeks at a time (occupied for a week a month in the off-season), we should invest in one or more dehumidifiers. And we are looking for something small and easy to store when on the boat. On our old boat we did fine with those Caframo air circulators, but given the volume of this boat I can’t imagine those would be enough.

Again, small and easy to store is best. Discharge into the shower or galley sink I guess.

Thanks Helmsman collective.

Jeff

Jeff, I have been looking at those, too. Here are my thoughts.

I would not put one in the shower drain. If you have a problem with the pump, the water will drain into the hold. I would place one that drains into the galley sink. If the sink in the MBR Head drains without a pump, I would consider one there.

Here are some recommendations from loopers who deal with the high humidity on the southeast coast. I will list some of their recommended dehumidifiers. These are folks who actually used these dehumidifiers and were happy with them.

Levoair 68 Oz. Dehumidifier

Hisense 50-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier (will need a hose connection)

Dry Pal Mermaid Marine Dehumidifier https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/

Arctic Aire ADR30B1G 30 Pint Dehumidifier

Another possibility is DampRid hanging desiccant bags. One boater who has done the loop but spends most of his time in the northeast used these and recommends them, though he reinforces the connection between the hangar and the bag.

Some gotchas that were listed:

Those that come with filters which turn off the system if they aren't changed.

Securing them in case of wave or wind action.

Ensuring they will come back on in the event of a power outage.

It was mentioned that they use a lot of power. 120 volt 5amps in a couple of listed cases. So 50 amps if you are inverting from the batteries.

Edit to add: If buying a non-marine dehumidifier, I would make sure that the neutral and ground are not connected together "in the box".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I used this model dehumidifier for three winters: Whynter Elite Energy Star 70 Pint Dehumidifier with Pump RPD-711DWP. This unit comes with an option to attach a standard hose fitting to an outlet at the rear, eliminating the need for emptying the reservoir. Kept the interior at about 60% humidity Dec-Feb in Port Ludlow. Many similar units available at hardware stores.

Easy answers. We got the Takacat 300LX, although if they had the 300S in stock we would have preferred that. To be clear we are trying to downsize stuff on the flybridge. The 11’ Achilles (see Scott for a great deal) took too much space, since we also have two kayaks (although we have moved those to the outside railings using a Magma kayak rack). I would think if you are going to regularly have four people plus a dog or two, you would want the bigger boat. Especially if you like zooming around anchorages. Also, the Takacat is amazingly stable, loads and unloads dogs easily, and is so lightweight one person can easily drag it up the beach on its wheels. We know this dingy well since we had one on our Ranger Tug.

We powered the dingy with an ePropulsion Sprit 1.0. We had a Torqeedo, but decided to give the Spirit a shot on the recommendation of Scott. It is a bit faster, the battery floats, and it goes farther on a charge. But I have not really put it through its paces yet.

As for fenders, this is the source of some amusement and gratitude. This boat came solidly fendered, with five standard fenders on each side (!) and two balls for side ties. That is a lot of fenders to wrangle and we will almost certainly cut back to four or three. When the big south blows in Elliott Bay Marina come in the winter, it is probably prudent to put out at least four fenders.

We finally have everything put away and are loving the new boat. What a palace compared to the Ranger Tug.

Jeff

Jeff, I saw a quote in another forum post that a person who bought a Takacat sold it shortly after. He said that was due to too much water entering the boat when two people were on it. Do you see that as an issue? Thanks, Nate

Nate. We had zero problem with this with our 300S (the one with the closed off nose) except that we would occasionally get water in over the transom when we slowed in rough stuff. I have yet to give the 300 LX a rough water test, but I bet it is much wetter than the S. So yes, this is a concern.

I was at the Newport boat show today.

Its a pretty good feeling when you step off boats much larger and more expensive and prefer the one you have to others.

Noteworthy, I was aboard a Nordhavn 41. I expected to be impressed. No so much. Less than half the main cabin + pilothouse living space in sq ft. compared to a H38. And calling it half is charitable. Might be a quarter. Quite tight actually. In that regard its closer to a Ranger Tug 31 than to a H38. The wood used in the cabin looks nicer in promo pics than in person. Yeah, a few nice features, but overall there was no wow factor there for me. At all. The salesman said the order backlog is running 2.5 years. Obviously others disagree.

The Kady 52 was nice, at $2.2mm I think. Modest size salon. Nice pilothouse, and liked the entry to the flybridge up through the pilothouse. But really what you get extra for the money and length is a couple of additional guest cabins. The owner's cabin is not as nice as the H38.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom