Trouble getting insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smczim

I hope someone can help with this. We are a Canadian couple buying a boat in Texas, planning on taking it to East Florida so it can be shipped to BC. While it is on the transport ship it will be covered by their insurance but we need our own insurance for the month or two before transport. We’ve tried several insurers in BC but they won’t insure unless the boat is in Canada which makes no sense since we’ve insured similar boats before in BC and taken them to the US for short trips. We’re not sure if any American insurers will offer it to Canadians ( the rapscallions that Canadians are). Any suggestions?

Try some brokers and they may know what is available. Also you may want to carry insurance while the boat is on the transport ship. There have been some horror stories about relying on the carriers insurance.

I’m not sure brokers would be willing to help considering it was a private sale.

Two good marine insurance brokers in the Annapolis, Md area are Jack Martin and IMIS Corp. They can insure virtually any boat anywhere in the world.

David

Are you goint to import the boat to Canada? If so, you may be able to get a Canadian insurer to give you a temporary policy to cover the importation. I did that for my Motorhome, which I bought in Az, kept in Cal until I could get across the Canadian border. They initially wanted me to bring it home within a couple of weeks, but I was able to get a 90 day extension.
Otherwise, you are faced with registering the purchase in whichever State you will be keeping it, until the transport to Canada occurs. That will require you to pay the State sales tax, and once registered there, you will need to get a local insurer to give you coverage till you get across the border and get it registered in Canada. I did this with a car that I bought in Cal, used there for 14 mos, then brought into Canada. Not a biggie, but adds the expense of paying local sales tax there, then paying sales tax again once you arrive in Canada.

Have you considered self insurance? Possibly put the boat in an LLC to limit liability.

Back
Top Bottom