Standalone Personal Liability Insurance Policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrinkel

Vessel Name
Positive Latitude
Vessel Make
Mainship 430
Does anyone have a recommendation for obtaining a standalone personal liability insurance policy that does not require an underlying homeowner or renter's insurance policy? We are full-time liveaboards and we currently have most of that coverage added onto our boat policy, but it is rare, expensive, and locks us into one of the few boat insurers who offer such a policy. I'd like to explore the idea of getting a standalone personal liability policy and shop around the boat insurance policy.

Thanks,
Mark
ourpositivelatitude.com

Does anyone have a recommendation for obtaining a standalone personal liability insurance policy that does not require an underlying homeowner or renter's insurance policy? We are full-time liveaboards and we currently have most of that coverage added onto our boat policy, but it is rare, expensive, and locks us into one of the few boat insurers who offer such a policy. I'd like to explore the idea of getting a standalone personal liability policy and shop around the boat insurance policy.

Thanks,
Mark
ourpositivelatitude.com

My experience is if you are full time and should declare so to be covered for anything (not disclosing living aboard could be an issue on claims)....my live aboard or RV fulltimer insurance has covered liability away from the insured item.

I had had an umbrella policy on top of our homeowners, auto, and boat policies when we went full time cruising a few years ago. I talked to the agent who supplied the umbrella, homeowners and auto and he said that a simple rental auto policy and general liability policy (kind of like home owners, but without the home) plus the boat policy would work as the primary policy and the umbrella would cover any claims beyond the primary.

It worked for us.

David

We are liveaboards. We have one (umbrella) through Geico on top of our auto policy.

We couldn’t find a standalone policy without having a land address. We ended getting renters insurance for a friends guest apartment. We had a rental agreement based on usage. From there we were also able to get an umbrella policy. When we became Florida residents, we did the same thing for my sisters house. In both cases, the apartment and my sisters house were our legal residence, we registered to vote using those addresses, drivers licenses, etc. We used a mail forwarding service so other than a few stray pieces of mail, they weren’t involved.

After 9/11/2001, we had to have a dirt address. We could no longer use a marina’s slip number.

Last edited:
When I decided to keep my boat in FL, I had to switch companies that would not cover liveaboards.

I have no dirt dwelling and would be hard press to prove anywhere if ever pressed in a claim.

Luckily, I am spending more time in my motorhome travelling so I switched to full timer RV insurance and the new policy covers liability for the owner like homeowners (away from the premises).

I was happy as the total swap of insurance including the boat full time in FL with only minor increase in named storm inclusion was less than $400/year total on both policies.

Would using 'St Brendan's Isle' be sufficient to constitute a physical address?

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

If you joined less than 2 years ago... it's tricky...it works for voting but is a PIA for banking and registrations....until you get one thing established and mail sent there...then it becomes easier.

Others have had varied experiences.

Back
Top Bottom