Looking for quality insurance, does it exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marine Trawler Owners Association. Please, posters, not eveyone aboard this forum oe any other know the various acronyms. May I suggest that the first time a reference is made in a post that the acronym is used with the full name in parentheses. For example, MTOA (Marine Trawler Owners Association).

Although outside of the area of the OP, I would strongly recommend Dolphin Insurance for the British Columbia area. We've been with them for 12 years, had three towing claims (don't ask), which they happily paid, and always great service.

Although outside of the area of the OP, I would strongly recommend Dolphin Insurance for the British Columbia area. We've been with them for 12 years, had three towing claims (don't ask), which they happily paid, and always great service.

Unfortunately, Dolphin doesn't cross the border to offer services...

Marine Trawler Owners Association. Please, posters, not eveyone aboard this forum oe any other know the various acronyms. May I suggest that the first time a reference is made in a post that the acronym is used with the full name in parentheses. For example, MTOA (Marine Trawler Owners Association).

This is the second decade of the 21st century, surely we all know how to use google?

There is NO good insurance company :/ They exist to make money and any money you get is money they don't get and they act accordingly. The most you can hope for is a good person who works there.

The best bet is to make a long video of EVERYTHING on your boat every six months. Pull out every drawer and open every locker. A deck of cards, magnets on your fridge - it is all covered and the more you can prove with a video the more it is easier for them to pay out what you deserve instead of lowballing.

I have BoatUS / geico. They were so rude to my attorney (friend of a friend - no lawyer will take on an insurance company unless it is way into 6 figures because it isn't worth it) that he got pissed off and helped me. Every last thing from my sailboat had been removed from the boat, crated and boxed up and was in a cargo van to go to storage. The van got stolen. Sails, tools, foulies, everything. They offered me $500. After a year of BS we finally settled for 20k.

How does boat insurance cover the contents of your car? Surely your auto policy covers that and if it was a rental van like a uhaul you were offered a policy to cover contents when you rented. Why would the boat insurer be on the hook for that?
If your traveling to a charter and your bag with charts and boat gear gets lost by the airline does the boat policy still pay? Why would anyone expect that?

Last edited:
Boat/US Claim Service

'Lo All,
I have insured my last two boats (43' Albin and a 17.5' Bayliner) with Boat/US. I have had two claims, both on the Albin: a lightening strike took out all DC powered electronics ($42,000 total bill) and then the total loss due to Hurricane Michael. I could not be happier with the service from Boat/US. They only asked for pictures of the lightening strike damage, which was "intuitively obvious", when looking at one VHF antenna and seeing the center shaft and peeled back strips of fiberglass and burned conductor. I was instructed to take the boat to an electronics repair shop that was on an "approved list" and get it repaired. On the catastrophic loss of the Celestial, it was equally simple. An adjuster came and asked how the boat was tied. It was tied with doubled and some tripled lines of 3/4" nylon rope - which pulled out 3 50' pilings sunk 25' into the bottom sand, broke one piling at the waterline, and tilted a third over to about 40 degrees from vertical (lines then slid up and off the top of the piling). The settlement check arrived shortly thereafter. One of the more interesting pictures I took after the storm was of the boat with a piling extending from above the stern rail down through the salon entrance and on to the hull bottom near the bow. I don't know if that piing punched a hole in the hull or if the hull was penetrated from the boat thrashing around where it grounded during the storm. When the boat was removed after the storm, it quickly sank into the slings that the salvage team placed under it. :mad:

Bottom line: Boat/US served me very well for those losses and I still have Boat/US insurance on the Bayliner. I have recommended Boat/US insurance to others.

'Lo All,
I have insured my last two boats (43' Albin and a 17.5' Bayliner) with Boat/US. I have had two claims, both on the Albin: a lightening strike took out all DC powered electronics ($42,000 total bill) and then the total loss due to Hurricane Michael. I could not be happier with the service from Boat/US. They only asked for pictures of the lightening strike damage, which was "intuitively obvious", when looking at one VHF antenna and seeing the center shaft and peeled back strips of fiberglass and burned conductor. I was instructed to take the boat to an electronics repair shop that was on an "approved list" and get it repaired. On the catastrophic loss of the Celestial, it was equally simple. An adjuster came and asked how the boat was tied. It was tied with doubled and some tripled lines of 3/4" nylon rope - which pulled out 3 50' pilings sunk 25' into the bottom sand, broke one piling at the waterline, and tilted a third over to about 40 degrees from vertical (lines then slid up and off the top of the piling). The settlement check arrived shortly thereafter. One of the more interesting pictures I took after the storm was of the boat with a piling extending from above the stern rail down through the salon entrance and on to the hull bottom near the bow. I don't know if that piing punched a hole in the hull or if the hull was penetrated from the boat thrashing around where it grounded during the storm. When the boat was removed after the storm, it quickly sank into the slings that the salvage team placed under it. :mad:

Bottom line: Boat/US served me very well for those losses and I still have Boat/US insurance on the Bayliner. I have recommended Boat/US insurance to others.

I've seen similar quick response and fair claims handling by Boat US during major widespread catastrophes.

I've been with Boat US for over 30 years. Fortunately have not had any claims.

Back
Top Bottom