Old 07-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Charleston wv
Leaving boat on anchor long term

Well as a new owner I'm running into delimas and financial trouble I didnt plan for. (Bit off more than I could chew?) My delima is insurance the previous owner had liability which is what I budgeted in for ...they were paying only 350 per year ....geico / boat us says they were grand fathered into that policy and I would need full coverage at 2k per year...also I planned to keep my boat stored on the hard at the glades yard which is quite cheap at $160 per month well they are now full....indian town is my next cheapest option...at $350 per month....so my anticipated expenses went up by approx $400 more per month than I had anticipated right out of the gate not even including repairs
At some stage I wondered if it was a seriously crazy idea to just get the full coverage insurance and a twice the size rated anchor....my current anchor is a 55lb mantus m2....I wondered if to skip some expenses I just get the 105lb mantus with mantus bridles and use a way oversized anchor kinda as a mooring .....put wifi on the boat ....solar and run cameras and board it up and tape windows as if to prepare for a hurricane ...... my expenses would just be the way over inflated insurance and bottom cleaning ......stupid idea? I only plan to use the boat 2 months of the year for now so I hate this plan and preferred to leave it on the hard but now I sorta wonder if I bit off more than I can chew financially
Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Do you like to sleep at night? Seriously!!
Old 07-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I don't really think that's a good option. Think I would just pay the price for the 1st year and see if you can get into Glades next year. Might also see if there are other boatyards that are more favorably priced. Leaving a new to me boat in the water for 10 months seems like a really bad idea.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
You better talk to your insurance company. They aren’t going to like your plans leaving the boat unattended at anchor for long periods.
Where do you think you can leave a boat for free for 10 months without it being stripped or tagged as derelict?
Haul it and launch for 2 months? My vote is sell it immediately.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Haul it and launch for 2 months? My vote is sell it immediately.

I wasn't going to be quite so bold, though I was thinking this. Now that High Wire has mentioned it, I can only say that I strongly agree with him! Sorry.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So it's safe to leave on a mooring for 10 months with people checking on it but if I have an anchor big enough to withstand a hurricane and should be considered on a mooring and with wifi and cameras so I can monitor it from home and call if anyone boards it and someone cleaning the hull and checking on it i should sell it....tons leave their boat at a dock which isnt exactly a safe place during a hurricane ...many take theirs out to a hurricane hole to leave on anchor (massive anchor) for hurricanes....I appreciate the advice but not sure I see selling it when I can literally put an alarm system (if I have solar and 7 huge gel batteries).....I agree this isnt ideal or even good but a boat on a huge anchor with wifi cameras and a simpli safe home alarm system on the boat which includes water alarms all centrally monitored is so unsafe it should be sold immediately and also full coverage insurance
Cost breakdown. Anchor $1200. (3 months of indian town or any other storage yard)..... monthly expenses $200 insurance + 100 hull cleaning + 75 wifi + 25 simpli safe home security. $400 total monthly expenses someone to check on it cameras and security system
Still I agree I dont like that idea none at all but is that so far down the list of preferable options to sell immediately?
Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess there are other options if that is such a terrible option where selling it is better than that
Leaving on a huge anchor with wifi security and hull cleaning or take it farther up north georgia? where maybe I can find better insurance with different rules/liability and storage. Would make for 5 days longer trip to get back where I want it for our summer trips but selling isnt an option I'll consider
Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
The anchor chain will be totally encrusted with barnacles . You will need a serious bottom cleaning. Add that into mooring cost. On the hard is the only way to go.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Guru

A mooring usually implies an area with other moorings and maybe some oversight. Keeping a boat in a marina also implies some human oversight.

Assuming you plan to anchor out, where would you do it? Half of anchoring out long term would require an extremely protected area where wind and waves don't pose an issue regardless of the direction.

Ted
Old 07-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Did you check for liability only insurance?

No need to panic till that falls through.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If I was to make that my temporary solution until I can figure something else out it would be in stuart manatee pocket which is a well known hurricane hole ...plus I have a source or two there that can check on the boat...chain painted with bottom paint as well ....its a well protected hurricane hole lots of other derelict boats there even if my anchor holds yeah I'd have to worry about other people's boats dragging ... wifi security with water alarms and cameras straight to my phone and I've talked to the bottom cleaner who said for a minimal charge hed check clean solar panels off to ensure batteries stay topped off to run all the security systems on the boat.... if a terrible idea I'll scrap the idea just a last ditch effort or thought
Old 07-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Guru

If I were going to leave my boat in the water for 10 months, I might consider this place it's freshwater, reasonably protected on the Caloosahatchee waterway, and only $6 per foot per month. Downside is no electricity at the slips.

https://portlabellemarina.com/

Ted
Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Far far more variablesnot in your control (mother nature and what’s in the water- line or a untethered boat aimed right at you...)leaving her in the water swinging around an anchor, you haven’t even mentioned worried about watching for chafe... than being over budget on the hard... or at the same rate. Stop overthinking and go for less variables, than a little more money would be my suggestion KISS...

Btw- never use another guys insurance as a guide price wise. 100% of rate is based on the new user in boating.
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Use it only 2 months a year? Sell it and charter a boat now and then. Much cheaper and no hassle. Or just plain sell it and wait until the financial coast is clear.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #15
Guru

From my perspective, the "sell-it" response was because it seems like an unreasonable amount of risk and expense to take on for only 2 months of use per year. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I will add that I would be extremely suspect if anyone selling you an anchor claimed it to be "hurricane proof". I've not been through a hurricane myself, but have read about many an anchoring pro losing their anchored boats to hurricanes. I suspect it's less about the anchors and more about how they were set. I'm not sure I can see how you could possibly set one or two anchors to have you max-prepared for tides, currents, bad weather and hurricanes -- from any possible direction -- for months on end. I fear you would be there re-setting the anchors all the time. All this makes your $350 a month option look very attractive, in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Absolutely do not leave it on anchor unattended for 10 months. I would be surprised if the boat would even be there when you got back. Your liability would be huge. If the anchor drags and the boat goes aground or sinks, do you have insurance for fuel and oil spills. I have almost a million dollar policy for cleanup. And I think you would be held negligent by leaving the boat unattended for that time. You would loose in court and be responsible for the cleanup which costs are staggering. Do not even contemplate this plan.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm not defending the decision obviously as it's my last resort so dont take this post as such a defending of a decision already made.....chafe is handled with the mantus bridles it comes with the bridles and I've seen other larger boats survive on a WAYYY oversized 105lb mantus anchor....my current boat is much smaller obviously but I've survived 93mph winds on a much smaller mantus anchor....I trust those anchors with my life as they have indeed saved it multiple times....if you haven't seen the videos on the mantus style anchors they truly do live up to the agreed upon promotional videos.... the dig in extremely fast and reset immediately ....I thought it was all hype until my boat was 2 feet away from a coral head in 93mph winds until I seen for myself that anchor never budged and when the winds shifted the other direction...reset immediately
So as far as dragging anchor I do have faith in the anchor above all else....my boat is rated for a 45...I currently have a 55m2....and if I were to leave it anchored ....105lb mantus would be the mooring.....so I'd be much more worried of other boats dragging and hitting mine than vice versa....with that said that can also happen at the dock.....i obviously have to have insurance one way or another with fuel spill protection and all of that....just thinking outloud dont take it as I've already made up my mind
Old 07-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Can you even buy the insurance without an out of water survey? Insurance companies don't like 40 year old hoses and frozen sea cocks. Have you ever heard the one about the rat in the trap worried more about the cheese than getting out of the trap. I'll side with the others.. Sell it. Get out of the trap.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #19

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
If you are only going to use it 2 months out of the year you should just sell it. Where do you possibly think you could safely leave it anchored for 10 months.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
If you are only going to use it 2 months out of the year you should just sell it. Where do you possibly think you could safely leave it anchored for 10 months.
Nowhere!
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote