Hurricane zone Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A floating dock in the Tchefuncte river , north shore of lake Ponchatrain, is the safest to keep a boat on the gulf coast between south florida/Naples area and Brownsville Tx !!

brownsville Tx

Hurricane damage

We have Geico (through Boat U.S.) too.

Although our boat made it through all the hurricanes with no damage, I have a feeling our rates will be going up next time, due to stories like yours.

I wouldn’t be surprised. There are probably several hundred thousand stories like mine, most are worse. With a damage of 3 billion dollars there were obviously a lot of claims of all types. As many, if not most marinas and boats in the Pensacola area were totaled, we actually came through it pretty well. That’s what insurance is for.

I wouldn’t be surprised. There are probably several hundred thousand stories like mine, most are worse. With a damage of 3 billion dollars there were obviously a lot of claims of all types. As many, if not most marinas and boats in the Pensacola area were totaled, we actually came through it pretty well. That’s what insurance is for.

Here, too. The boats that stayed in the marinas for Zeta either sunk or got heavily damaged. A lot of the ones that anchored out ended up on land, and a even a couple in the local boatyard fell off their stands.

All the times we took our boat to our super hurricane hole (four times in 2020 alone) and spent all day tying it off for nothing, finally paid off when Zeta hit us! :)

49526139741_976470adf7_h.jpg

We did have a crapload of pine straw everywhere!

Last edited:
Insurance

Here, too. The boats that stayed in the marinas for Zeta either sunk or got heavily damaged. A lot of the ones that anchored out ended up on land, and a even a couple in the local boatyard fell off their stands.

All the times we took our boat to our super hurricane hole (four times in 2020 alone) and spent all day tying it off for nothing, finally paid off when Zeta hit us! :)

49526139741_976470adf7_h.jpg

We did have a crapload of pine straw everywhere!

We are at a very protected marina with floating docks on 17' pilings. We would have been fine except for the improperly secured cheap sailboat next to us, which I had complained about repeatedly. The boat on my starboard side suffered no damage because we were secure. Since the marina across from us was destroyed by one of the 40 some odd SKANSKA barges that broke loose, There's no way to tell who was ultimately at fault. Ironically, I spend a fortune on oversize, high quality docklines and I'm a responsible owner but my premium will go way up next year because of my claim (and all the others) which was due to an absentee owner who didn't have his boat properly secured.

We are at a very protected marina with floating docks on 17' pilings. We would have been fine except for the improperly secured cheap sailboat next to us, which I had complained about repeatedly. The boat on my starboard side suffered no damage because we were secure. Since the marina across from us was destroyed by one of the 40 some odd SKANSKA barges that broke loose, There's no way to tell who was ultimately at fault. Ironically, I spend a fortune on oversize, high quality docklines and I'm a responsible owner but my premium will go way up next year because of my claim (and all the others) which was due to an absentee owner who didn't have his boat properly secured.

Was the absentee owner who caused your damage insured?

Insurance

Was the absentee owner who caused your damage insured?

Yes, but as I stated, over 40 SKANSKA barges broke loose and destroyed the marina across the bay from us so while I know what happened and why, obviously, there are no witnesses and no way to place blame. Hell, A SKANSKA barge took out the brand new P’cola to Gulf Breeze Bridge and that will be in court for years. That’s why my ins paid, but Ill still take the hit on my premium for my claim.

Last edited:
Yes, but as I stated, over 40 SKANSKA barges broke loose and destroyed the marina across the bay from us so while I know what happened and why, obviously, there are no witnesses and no way to place blame. Hell, A SKANSKA barge took out the brand new P’cola to Gulf Breeze Bridge and that will be in court for years. That’s why my ins paid, but Ill still take the hit on my premium for my claim.

I'll take the hit for your claim too but don't mind doing so. I do mind though that SKANSKA was so irresponsible in their failure to secure their barges. I know one day I'll have a claim. So far with 29 years on the lake and 12 years on the coast, I've never had a marine claim. Just know everyone's time can come.

I always just shake my head at terms like "Hurricane Zone" as over the last few decades some of the areas considered outside the so called zone have been hit harder than those in. People need to know if they're on any coast, they're in a storm zone and often even if not on a coast. Our boats in Fort Lauderdale haven't even been threatened as the only hurricane to come through here since we've been here is Irma. Meanwhile the Gulf has been hit over and over and suffered tremendous damage. SC and NC have been hit by Matthew and Florence. And when I first moved to this "Hurricane Zone" was the year of "Superstorm Sandy" with all it's damage in the NE.

You do your best and may be successful generally, but you'll never outsmart mother nature permanently. I knew a couple that was terrified of hurricanes so pulled their boat inland to their yard. The hurricane hit the coast and tornadoes off the storm destroyed their boat.

Insurance

I'll take the hit for your claim too but don't mind doing so. I do mind though that SKANSKA was so irresponsible in their failure to secure their barges. I know one day I'll have a claim. So far with 29 years on the lake and 12 years on the coast, I've never had a marine claim. Just know everyone's time can come.

I always just shake my head at terms like "Hurricane Zone" as over the last few decades some of the areas considered outside the so called zone have been hit harder than those in. People need to know if they're on any coast, they're in a storm zone and often even if not on a coast. Our boats in Fort Lauderdale haven't even been threatened as the only hurricane to come through here since we've been here is Irma. Meanwhile the Gulf has been hit over and over and suffered tremendous damage. SC and NC have been hit by Matthew and Florence. And when I first moved to this "Hurricane Zone" was the year of "Superstorm Sandy" with all it's damage in the NE.

You do your best and may be successful generally, but you'll never outsmart mother nature permanently. I knew a couple that was terrified of hurricanes so pulled their boat inland to their yard. The hurricane hit the coast and tornadoes off the storm destroyed their boat.

Sadly, SKANSKA is denying all responsibility. With their money, they will keep this in the court for years. Eventually they may pay something but the cost of litigation against them will probably protect them.

Back
Top Bottom