volvo tamd 41 wont crank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captai kevin

Vessel Name
THE KAYDINE
Vessel Make
NOVA/HERITAGE EAST 40
need answer.
I have 1986 Volvo Penta tamd41. had fuel issues , rebuilt Racor 500 and replaced fuel lines. I am getting fuel through the system and the engine turns over does not start. it ran fine after I rebuilt Racor. then I found holes in fuel line and replace the fuel line. completed the line replacement and all she does is turn over. no leaks, all filters full of fuel:confused: don't know where to go from here?

Welcome aboard. Not familiar with your particular engine. I would go through the bleeding process again. Check for any air leaks at the seal or O rings, etc. good luck.

need answer.
I have 1986 Volvo Penta tamd41. had fuel issues , rebuilt Racor 500 and replaced fuel lines. I am getting fuel through the system and the engine turns over does not start. it ran fine after I rebuilt Racor. then I found holes in fuel line and replace the fuel line. completed the line replacement and all she does is turn over. no leaks, all filters full of fuel:confused: don't know where to go from here?

Have you cracked the connections between the fuel lines and the injectors? Is that where you got to before saying "I am getting fuel through the system"?
If so, your problem shouldn't be fuel related, as you have fixed all that. If not, go there. Do them one at a time.

It really just sounds like an air in the line issue. Re Bleed the system a second time, sometimes a third bleeding is needed.

If you are doing a lot of engine "cranking" best to close off the water intake valve. You might end up with an engine full of water if you don't.

pete

If the starter spins the engine at normal speed then:
1-blocked fuel path. Closed or clogged valve, tank pickup, solenoid, or filter.
2-air in injection system. Improper bleed, leaking fittings or filters.
3-lift pump failure

Prove these clear and you should be running.

Bleed the injector tubes until fuel w/o bubbles comes out. It's easier to do all the injectors at once. Loosen the nuts on the top of the injector, put out rags to catch diesel, crank the engine.

The engine won't start this way because the loss of pressure keeps the injector from opening. Once you have clear fuel, tighten the nuts and clean up the diesel.

That engine uses a Bosch VE rotary pump and I don't think there is a separate lift pump (??). The lift pump is a vane unit internal to the VE pump. It can be a b!tch to prime.

Best way to prime is either an electric lift pump or outboard squeeze bulb to put a little pressure to the VE pump inlet. Since vane pump is not rotating, it takes some time as the fuel must go through the machined clearances of the vanes. Once VE pump is known "solid" with fuel, then loosen injector line nuts at injectors and crank engine til you get good spurts. Snug nuts and it should start.

Back
Top Bottom