Side Power 95 Ti Side Thruster "Getting Warm Here" Warning Tone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

While docking this past weekend in pretty heavy & gusty winds, I had to use the bow & stern thrusters a little more than usual and I thought I heard a warning tone while docking..

I cant say for sure where it came from as I was single handed and focusing on the task and didn't have time to investigate at that moment..I reviewed the Side Power 95 Ti manual later for installation and operation and unless i missed something i didnt see anything about a warning tone..

Maybe it was the Stern Thruster cause I used it more than the bow this particular exercise..

Maybe there is a tone alerter somewhere installed?,. thats monitoring the temp or a high current sensor? nothing jumped out in the manuals about a possible "getting kinda hot here" warning buzzer....

Vessel is a 2006 Mainship 400..

The manual said the continuous run time max is 3 minuets....geez, I hope I never find myself running it even more that a few seconds or two..if so, I probably should have stayed put...

Thanks for your comments ...

Jeff

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 173
That would be a really nice feature, but I've never heard of it being so. Not sure what you might have been hearing.

Hi jefndeb,
As a point of reference, I have a SidePower SE40 bow thruster and SR100/185T Retractable Stern Thruster. I also have the exact joystick control as you show in your picture. I've used these (sometimes heavily) for nearly 10 years now and not once have I ever heard any type of alarm sound from them. I wonder if the sound you heard could possibly be coming from something else? (for example in the 12v supply/charging for the respective thrusters). Do you have each thruster on a dedicated battery? If not, then perhaps the power draw on a shared battery was causing another 12v device on your boat to emit a low-voltage alarm.

What battery does it run off of? When I bought my boat, the bow thruster was tied to the house batteries (which were weak). More than a few seconds on the thruster pulled the voltage down enough that the voltage alarm on one of my MFDs started beeping and would stop when disengaging the bow thruster.

Ted

I think that OC diver is probably on the correct path.

We have about a dozen alarms onboard, they all sound the same and can be really difficult to track down. Be really nice to have a standard for different alarm sounds for different items.

You are probably correct, the thrusters are on the house bank and they take a punch to the gut when asked to send juice to those hungry thruster motors..my plotter was probably yelling at me ....

I think that OC diver is probably on the correct path.
Agree. I have had a lo V signal from my Glendining shifter/throttle control once before. As I recall it wasn't real loud but accompanied by a red indicator light on the shifter.

Like others have said. It was probably something shutting off and turning back on. I had this when the thrusters were factory hooked up to the house system. I installed a group 31 AGM for the bow thruster 2’ away and did the same for the stern. Each with it’s pwn charger. Totally separate from anything on the boat. No more dips in power

Like others have said. It was probably something shutting off and turning back on. I had this when the thrusters were factory hooked up to the house system. I installed a group 31 AGM for the bow thruster 2’ away and did the same for the stern. Each with it’s pwn charger. Totally separate from anything on the boat. No more dips in power

That is the way to do it. My stern thruster has it’s own battery and charger. As you move to newer and smarter electronics they don’t like low voltages.

I've got a side power bow thruster that's about ten years old. On one boat parade a capt buddy was running our boat while we were doing display stuff. He was not a single screw guy. Basically he steered with the bow thruster. He ran the battery (dedicated to thruster, does nothing else) into the complete dirt until it no longer ran. No beeps at all. First I heard of it was him complaining that the boat would not steer.

No beeps in the system that I know of.

Back Cove Yachts has an Easy Dock system for their thrusters.
It shows how long you've used the thrusters and how hot they are getting before a thermal overload stops them from operating. I'm not sure it generates an audible alert but since the thruster controls are next to the display, you can keep an eye on it.

All the Back Cove boats are inboard single engine boats, so thrusters are more helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom