Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I noticed at NAPA yesterday a new to me “marine” SeaFoam.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:52 AM   #22
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
And yet, there are those who claim that all additives are snake oil. I will not run any diesel without an additive to raise the lubricity of today's ULSD fuel. The irony of those "snake oil" folks is that refiners use, wait for it, yes, an additive to raise the lubricity of ULSD fuel to a minimum standard. Unfortunately, that minimum is not sufficient for many components especially those in common rail engines. Anyone owning an engine that uses a Bosch CP4 injection pump and is not using a lubricity improver, well, get ready, cuz your pump will eventally fail. There are numerous examples of these pumps actally exploding. Whether they do or not, the internal wear spreads metal shavings throughout the system. On pickup trucks, the repair costs around $13K. All fuel lines, the fuel cooler, all injectors have to be replaced. Even the fuel tank has to be removed and flushed clean. My point is, additives are not snake oil. Owners of a Lehman or Perkins probably have nothing to worry about, probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
My side exhausting 315 HP Yanmar was sooting up the side of the boat until I poured the specified amount of Power Source Diesel Klean into my tanks. Before that, my fingertips came away blackened from the red hull aft of the exhaust after an hour or two of running. Nowadays they come away CLEAN with no evidence of dirt after hours and hours.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Passport
Vessel Model: Mainship Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
My side exhausting 315 HP Yanmar was sooting up the side of the boat until I poured the specified amount of Power Source Diesel Klean into my tanks. Before that, my fingertips came away blackened from the red hull aft of the exhaust after an hour or two of running. Nowadays they come away CLEAN with no evidence of dirt after hours and hours.

I had exactly the same situation with my twin 4LH-STE Yanmars years ago. The Diesel Klean cleared up the heavy soot, and the engines run smoother. Also, my engines call for a minimum cetane of 44, the world standard except for the US, which is 40.
bykpjfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpjfk View Post
I had exactly the same situation with my twin 4LH-STE Yanmars years ago. The Diesel Klean cleared up the heavy soot, and the engines run smoother. Also, my engines call for a minimum cetane of 44, the world standard except for the US, which is 40.
Yep. That snake oil worked. Not a surprise to me but I wonder whether the snake oil guys will acknowledge that some snake oils do work.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Or buy engines that don't require snake oil..

Sorta kidding....I go with the Caterpillar philosophy. If you need it, use it, if you don't, don't.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Running a low dose of SeaFoam on newer marine engines will keep them clean.

However, running a high concentration of SeaFoam in older engines can loosen carbon deposits, if any. Carbon deposits are very hard and have sharp edges which can harm engine internals.

On automobile turbo engines, the carbon deposits loosened by high doses of SeaFoam have broken turbo vanes on the exhaust side.

On Lehmans, Bob Smith or Norm Dribble recommended Marvel Mystery Oil as the only thing to add to the fuel.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #27

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinaJack
I will not run any diesel without an additive to raise the lubricity of today's ULSD fuel. The irony of those "snake oil" folks is that refiners use, wait for it, yes, an additive to raise the lubricity of ULSD fuel to a minimum standard. Unfortunately, that minimum is not sufficient for many components especially those in common rail engines. Anyone owning an engine that uses a Bosch CP4 injection pump and is not using a lubricity improver, well, get ready, cuz your pump will eventally fail.
And this is the thing.

The inherent lubricity in diesel has changed over time.

Would you run a modern Mercedes on 1950s full-leaded gasoline? Or a 1940 Ford coupe on modern 93 unleaded with 10% ethanol?

People argue the additive question like engines and fuel are constant over time. They are not.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Pulled from the web , about 9 years ago.
Notice how many "old friends" areactually harmfull!

In Order Of Performance:

1) 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement. 50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel 66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel Price: market value

2)Opti-Lube XPD Multi-purpose + anti-gel cetane improver, demulsifierHFRR 317, 319 micron improvement. 256:1 ratio 13 oz/tank $4.35/tank

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment Gas and Diesel cetane improver, emulsifier HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement 640:1 ratio 5.2 oz/tank $2.60/tank
4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend Multi-purpose demulsifier HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement 3000:1 ratio 1.11 oz/tank $0.68/tank

5)Opti-Lube Winter Blend Muti-purpose + anti-gel cetane improver HFRR 461, 175 micron improvement 512:1 ratio 6.5 oz/tank $3.65/tank 6)Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 Multi-purpose + anti-gel cetane improver, emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible HFRR 470, 166 micron improvement 1000:1 ratio 3.32 oz/tank $1.87/tank
7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems) HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement 200:1 ratio 16.64 oz/tank $1.09/tank
8)Stanadyne Lubricity Formula Lubricity Only demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free HFRR 479, 157 micron improvement 1000:1 ratio 3.32 oz/tank $1.00/tank
9)Amsoil Diesel Concentrate Multi-purpose demulsifier, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free HFRR 488, 148 micron improvement 640:1 ratio 5.2 oz/tank $2.16/tank

10)Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Multi-purpose Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement 400:1 ratio 8.32 oz/tank $1.58/tank
11)Howes Meaner Power Kleaner Multi-purpose Alcohol free HFRR 586, 50 micron improvement 1000:1 ratio 3.32 oz/tank$1.36/tank

12)Stanadyne Performance Formula Multi-purpose + anti-gel cetane improver, demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free HFRR 603, 33 micron improvement 480:1 ratio 6.9 oz/tank $4.35/tank
13)Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used. Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems) HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement 200:1 ratio 16.64 oz/tank price: market value 14)Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant Gas or diesel HFRR 641, 5 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change) 427:1 ratio 7.8 oz/tank $2.65/tank
15)B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive HFRR 644, 8 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change) 1000:1 ratio 3.32 oz/tank$2.67/tank

16)FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power Multi-purpose + anti-gel Emulsifier, alcohol free HFRR 675, 39 microns worse than baseline fuel 1000:1 ratio 3.32 oz/tank $1.12/tank

17)Marvel Mystery Oil Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems) HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel. 320:1 ratio 10.4 oz/tank $3.22/tank

18)ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive Multi-purpose Cetane improver, emulsifier, alcohol free HFRR 696, 60 microns worse than baseline fuel 1000:1 ratio 3.32 oz/tank $2.38/tank 19)Primrose Power Blend 2003 Multi-purpose Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible, emulsifier HFRR 711, 75 microns worse than baseline 1066:1 ratio 3.12 oz/tank $1.39/tank

CONCLUSIONS: Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association. Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel

For further study.
Fuel Property Testing: Lubricity - DieselNet

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/fuel_diesel_lubricity.php
The most important bench tests are the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) and the Scuffing Load Ball-on-Cylinder Lubricity Evaluator (SLBOCLE).
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Supposedly even that "now older" diesel supplement test was potentially in error as I believe the "scuffing" measurement part was not done properly or scientifically....

So again....beware of what you read...even supposedly widely accepted research.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote