Prop nut size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike66

Guru
Vessel Name
Susan Helena
Vessel Make
Albin40
Hi all. Can't find my caliper. Anybody know the socket size for bronze propshaft nut on Albin40 1.5" shaft?
Thanks.

I have a huge crescent wrench that I use on the 2.5” nuts on my boat. Since it is adjustable it would fit anything up to 2.5”.

While it's not an Albin, the prop nuts on our 1 1/2" shafts (Bayliner 3888, twin diesel) use a 1 5/8" combination wrench.

James

I bought a cheap (less than a hundred) 1 inch socket set from Harbor Freight. It will have the socket you need plus a breaker bar which is almost two feet long.

Don't keep it on my boat but take it down when needed.

pete

Thanks all! Ended up 1.5" left hand thread. Had me thinking for a bit, but luckily enough there was plenty of thread showing to figure it out. Now for the prop. Might have to divise a puller for this 4 blade prop.

I made a puller for my 4 blade props. Simple to make, 2 pieces of 3/8” steel plate and 4 bolts. I also had a left handed nut on the port side and right hand on the starboard side. Leave the prop nut on loose when you pull the prop off because one of my props came off with a bang and would have flown off the shaft if not for the loose prop nut. The other prop came off with a whimper.

Attachments

• 17123C87-8629-451E-AD34-0C80686B20AF.jpg
    17123C87-8629-451E-AD34-0C80686B20AF.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Are those about 4"x4"?

Hi all. Can't find my caliper. Anybody know the socket size for bronze propshaft nut on Albin40 1.5" shaft?
Thanks.

Mike,
I have a cheap plastic calipers (slip stick) and have it in the trunk of my car. Can measure things in a store or wherever.
Bought them years ago and the value/cost ratio is really high.

And it’s amazing how accurate you can measure .. with skill and practice.

Are those about 4"x4"?

They are 5.5”x5.5”. I made a cardboard template and took it to a local welder and he cut out the slot and drilled the holes since he has a big drill press.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom