Old 06-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #21
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
No, itís probably brass. I keep a close eye on it. I donít think you can get bronze check valves unfortunately. The ďplasticĒ one cracked and leaked badly so I guess you choose your poison.

Iíll look into that place in Nanaimo. I think I know that chandlery.

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
Guru

No, itís probably brass. I keep a close eye on it and the seacock is always closed unless we use the Genny. I donít think you can get bronze check valves unfortunately. The ďplasticĒ one cracked and leaked badly so I guess you choose your poison.

Iíll look into that place in Nanaimo. I think I know that chandlery.

Jim

Old 06-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Groco manufacturers bronze check valves.

I would'nt want a brass check valve in a raw water line .
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #24
Guru

Entec West Genny advice.

Here is an update to this thread: I discussed this with my insurer and they believed this could be an insurance claim. I met with the adjuster at the boat and after review of my maintenance logs and the very clean engine room he felt a claim was justified. He suggested I proceed with an oil sample. I fired up the Genny for 1 minute only to mix up the oil (no coolant pump) and took a sample to send in to Finning Canada. They replied there was no evidence of coolant in the oil but there was elevated metals. They recommended a series of oil samples as a single sample was not conclusive.

This step would require fixing the coolant pump. As the manufacturer is no longer in business, I contacted the US distributor of Farymann engines. Yes he had the part and sent it to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	113681

At left is what I have. At right is what he sent!

Sigh! He said the part I have is no longer available. Send it back and he would refund. He suggested an external pump.

I am exploring obtaining a ďMarchĒ pump for hot beer wort. I talked to March and they felt this would be suitable. It is suitable for continuous duty.

https://www.marchpump.com/pump/815-p...ic-drive-pump/

7 gallons per minute.

Before I send out another $600 USD on another wile goose chase, what do the Experts think?

Ultimately I want to get a claim that can be applied to a new Northern Lights 5 kw unit.

Jim
Old 01-31-2021, 05:11 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Here is an update to this thread: I discussed this with my insurer and they believed this could be an insurance claim. I met with the adjuster at the boat and after review of my maintenance logs and the very clean engine room he felt a claim was justified. He suggested I proceed with an oil sample. I fired up the Genny for 1 minute only to mix up the oil (no coolant pump) and took a sample to send in to Finning Canada. They replied there was no evidence of coolant in the oil but there was elevated metals. They recommended a series of oil samples as a single sample was not conclusive.

This step would require fixing the coolant pump. As the manufacturer is no longer in business, I contacted the US distributor of Farymann engines. Yes he had the part and sent it to me.

Attachment 113681

At left is what I have. At right is what he sent!

Sigh! He said the part I have is no longer available. Send it back and he would refund. He suggested an external pump.

I am exploring obtaining a ďMarchĒ pump for hot beer wort. I talked to March and they felt this would be suitable. It is suitable for continuous duty.

7 gallons per minute.

Before I send out another $600 USD on another wile goose chase, what do the Experts think?

Ultimately I want to get a claim that can be applied to a new Northern Lights 5 kw unit.

Jim
That pump on the right is an OEM Entec NW pump. There is another pump that attaches to that for raw water.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #26
Guru

...yes but itís not clear how it can be mounted for my setup. Quite frankly Iím not keen on sending good money after bad on this one. The question I guess is whether this pump has an appropriate flow. I suspect it does. The current raw water setup uses a March pump.

Jim
Old 01-31-2021, 09:13 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
...yes but itís not clear how it can be mounted for my setup. Quite frankly Iím not keen on sending good money after bad on this one. The question I guess is whether this pump has an appropriate flow. I suspect it does. The current raw water setup uses a March pump.

Jim

The LC3CP March Pump is what Entec used for their AC raw water pump option. They used an industrial 1/2" ball check valve, made by Chemtrol, to prevent water from evacuating out of the pump by gravity.

The way I recall, with feeble memory, the pump mounting. It mounted to the plate at the fron of the engine, held in place with C clip. Cogged pulley was mounted to shaft.

I might have a parts manual for the Entec on one of my computers that, if I find it, will post here.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The LC3CP March Pump is what Entec used for their AC raw water pump option. They used an industrial 1/2" ball check valve, made by Chemtrol, to prevent water from evacuating out of the pump by gravity.

Yes. That is what I have for the raw water. However the coolant temperatures are too high for this pump. March has a version that can withstand beer wort that has come off the boil, so is designed to pump higher temperature fluids.

Jim
Old 02-01-2021, 01:22 AM   #29
Guru

Johnson and several other companies makes hot liquid pumps for hydronic heating.

Look at Sure Marines website - suremarineservice.com
Old 02-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #30
Guru

I phoned March. They have this one for list $318USD:

and a Stainless version

https://www.marchpump.com/pump/815-s...ic-drive-pump/

I have to go through a distributor and they found one in North Vancouver one for me.

It turns out they have the 4 of the SS version in stock and are willing to sell at a 15% discount as she wants to move out the stock. Price would be $359 USD which suits me just fine.

I'm going to give this a whirl, plumb it up, put it through some baby-step tests and watch temperatures carefully with a pyrometer.

Jim
Old 02-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I phoned March. They have this one for list $318USD:

and a Stainless version

https://www.marchpump.com/pump/815-s...ic-drive-pump/

I have to go through a distributor and they found one in North Vancouver one for me.

It turns out they have the 4 of the SS version in stock and are willing to sell at a 15% discount as she wants to move out the stock. Price would be $359 USD which suits me just fine.

I'm going to give this a whirl, plumb it up, put it through some baby-step tests and watch temperatures carefully with a pyrometer.

Jim
That's a pretty good price. My distributor wants $323 US in Seattle.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #32
Guru

Entec West Genny advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
That's a pretty good price. My distributor wants $323 US in Seattle.
Yes, and no shipping and wait times, which is a bonus.

I picked it up and got some stainless (316) fittings to plumb it in line. So the only problem is: itís open to the elements and itís air cooled. If I keep it long term I have to figure out how to keep the odd slash getting to it. Possibly some sort of vented box. Definitely a possible point of failure.

Jim
Old 02-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Yes, and no shipping and wait times, which is a bonus.

I picked it up and got some stainless (316) fittings to plumb it in line. So the only problem is: it’s open to the elements and it’s air cooled. If I keep it long term I have to figure out how to keep the odd slash getting to it. Possibly some sort of vented box. Definitely a possible point of failure.

Jim
You got a great deal, especially in BC.

The elevated metals in the oil test is probably caused by not having an oil filter on the engine.

From the pump in your picture, you might have the older version of the Entec. I'd like to see a picture of it so I can see which version you have.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #34
Guru

Entec West Genny advice.

According to the fellow at QDS (Quality Defense Systems) only a few Entec West Units came with this water pump design. Here are some photos.

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	113777Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	113778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3758.jpg
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	113779
Old 02-02-2021, 12:56 AM   #35
Guru

I've not seen that pump before. All the ones I'm used to seeing is the one that was sent to you.

The pulleys and the belt is the same.

Do you know what year it was built? Installed?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #36
Guru

Entec West Genny advice.

The Farymann Diesel tag indicates. 02 2008, which I take to mean February 2008. Not sure when Entec got it for marinization. The PO installed it in 2012, I believe. He obtained it from someone who had the unit for sometime before deciding not to install it in their boat. It only had 20 hours on it or so when we bought the boat in June 2013.

Edit: apparently the belt is not the same. According to QDS they indicated a different belt for the ďbrass/bronze oneĒ in the above photo.

Jim
Old 02-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #37

City: nanoose bay
JDCAVE,

I have this same genset in my 34 chb I bought recently. Mine has 520 hours. how many hours did yours have when the pump died?

Did you get this figured out?
jointcustody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointcustody View Post
JDCAVE,

I have this same genset in my 34 chb I bought recently.

...Iím so sorry!

Roughly 250 hours. There were several versions of this Genny. Mine was one of the few that had that water pump. Iím in the process of installing a March 815-C. Fingers crossed it works. Iíve got it mounted. Now putting on the coolant hoses. I probably will have to sacrifice the sound enclosure.

Jim
Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
...Iím so sorry!

Roughly 250 hours. There were several versions of this Genny. Mine was one of the few that had that water pump. Iím in the process of installing a March 815-C. Fingers crossed it works. Iíve got it mounted. Now putting on the coolant hoses. I probably will have to sacrifice the sound enclosure.

Jim
Those generators are very loud without the enclosure. We installed the March pump outside the enclosure when retrofitting clients generators.

I know that the pump you are installing is for the fresh water side but it does not have to be inside the enclosure.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #40
Guru

Entec West Genny advice.

Ok. This is the installation roughed in. It looks nice, but when I turned it on (no coolant) there was a bejesus noise coming from the bearings. So I took it home and put some sewing machine oil in the two locations calling for oil. It worked fine and recirculated water in a bucket for 25 minutes but the pump motor was too hot to touch. It seems to me that the claim by March Pumps that this pump is continuous duty is suspect to me. I just donít think I can rely on this setup. I think this pump is vulnerable to failure because of overheating and corrosion.

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	114595

I think itís time to abandon this project and move on to a new install.

Jim