Old 12-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Electric Outboards

Electric Ouboards are making big strides. I have a small one for my dinghy, but bigger ones are already avaialable and I'm sure the trend will continue. I hope everyone can watch this video, it's very interesting. Perhaps the most interesting design is the smallest one at the end of the video (although I'd prefer a better throttle control). Thoughts?

https://boattest.com/electric-outboa...ource=hs_email
Old 12-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #2

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
she is looking good
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Electric Ouboards are making big strides. I have a small one for my dinghy, but bigger ones are already avaialable and I'm sure the trend will continue. I hope everyone can watch this video, it's very interesting. Perhaps the most interesting design is the smallest one at the end of the video (although I'd prefer a better throttle control). Thoughts?

https://boattest.com/electric-outboa...ource=hs_email
I saw that too - very neat design. Agree with the skepticism on the throttle control though - nice that it appears to be easily adjustable for depth. Only thing I don't like about my ePropulsion Spirit is that the shaft is too long (remedied with a recent product update).

I think we'll see lots more innovation on this front as people realize that the form factor dictated by gasoline outboards doesn't need to be replicated. I think we'll see different propellors as the sector evolves as well, to take better advantage of the torque characteristics of electric motors.
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
As a small electric outboard motor owner, I think the future in displacement mode will be be owned by the electrics.

Not sure about the larger motors. It seems to me that battery cost will be prohibitive. There might be a market for auxiliary or redundant drive using the generator as a power source. But it looks like all the manufacturers are focused on speed as opposed to pushing in displacement mode.

Liked some of the features on the last model including the infinitely adjustable height, rotation lock, and disconnect from the transom. Power control, length, and awkwardness of size in transport were negatives. Think I'll stick with my Epropulsion for now.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #5

a stupid question...

if I have a 40KW outboard and want it to continually run. do i need a 40KW generator to keep it running.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I saw that too - very neat design. Agree with the skepticism on the throttle control though - nice that it appears to be easily adjustable for depth. Only thing I don't like about my ePropulsion Spirit is that the shaft is too long (remedied with a recent product update).

I think we'll see lots more innovation on this front as people realize that the form factor dictated by gasoline outboards doesn't need to be replicated. I think we'll see different propellors as the sector evolves as well, to take better advantage of the torque characteristics of electric motors.
I also have an eProp and agree the shaft is long. I should have ordered the "xs" size but the dealer recommended the "s" size. What is the product update you are talking about?
Old 12-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
I also have an eProp and agree the shaft is long. I should have ordered the "xs" size but the dealer recommended the "s" size. What is the product update you are talking about?
Shortly after I ordered my "s" size they introduced the "xs" which is what I would have preferred.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Shortly after I ordered my "s" size they introduced the "xs" which is what I would have preferred.
Agreed. I took the dealer's word for the S. I wish I had known and did some measuring when I ordered. So instead I row a little on and off the beach.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
a stupid question...

if I have a 40KW outboard and want it to continually run. do i need a 40KW generator to keep it running.
That's basically it assuming you're not running on batteries - it gets a bit more complicated because you need to account for losses, you need to convert to the right voltage, and you need to account for transient (e.g. start) currents.

It doesn't really make sense to run a generator continuously to power an electric (or hydraulic) motor because of these losses - a shaft is simpler and more efficient. Tugboats and locomotives do run in this configuration because they need the massive startup torque electric motors can provide.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I've had several dingy size outboards. I prefer them to the problems of gas outboards. I connect the battery and it goes. No pulling on the start cord for 30 minutes before a trip to the repair shop where $300 seems to make it work again, for awhile. A battery is less trouble than gas. It's easier to recharge the battery than go looking for gas.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I've had several dingy size outboards. I prefer them to the problems of gas outboards. I connect the battery and it goes. No pulling on the start cord for 30 minutes before a trip to the repair shop where $300 seems to make it work again, for awhile. A battery is less trouble than gas. It's easier to recharge the battery than go looking for gas.
I totally agree, so long as you're okay with displacement speeds in your dinghy. I think we have a few years to go before it makes sense for planing speeds.

I have my boat on a mooring and my tender in the water - not having to flush the motor's cooling passages out was reason enough for me, and I'm not allowed over 5mph generally anyway so it was a real no-brainer. Ease of operation & quietness is a huge added bonus. Cruising for 6 weeks with no gasoline on board as well!
Old 12-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
she is looking good
Great looking motor and some rather good innovations.
None of the motors indicate 'time' or distance on the battery
Old 12-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Great looking motor and some rather good innovations.
None of the motors indicate 'time' or distance on the battery
My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I totally agree, so long as you're okay with displacement speeds in your dinghy. I think we have a few years to go before it makes sense for planing speeds.

I have my boat on a mooring and my tender in the water - not having to flush the motor's cooling passages out was reason enough for me, and I'm not allowed over 5mph generally anyway so it was a real no-brainer. Ease of operation & quietness is a huge added bonus. Cruising for 6 weeks with no gasoline on board as well!

I have a Torqeedo that works fantastic for pushing a dinghy at displacement speed. However, with a new dinghy that my wife wanted to go faster, I got a 20hp gasser. I'd prefer electric, but like you, I don't think they are ready yet for the planing dinghy market.

Of course, since I just got the gas outboard, there will be a huge breakthrough this year making it obsolete.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.
LOL the story of my life
Old 12-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Yes, that is a strong point of many electric motors.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Of course, since I just got the gas outboard, there will be a huge breakthrough this year making it obsolete.

I think you can rest easy - the progress we're seeing in batteries (like solar and wind) is not really a result of breakthroughs, just a relentless march down the manufacturing learning curve. I do suspect that in 5 years or so we'll have batteries good and cheap enough to drive outboards for short to medium distance tender duty at planing speeds, and proven outboard electric motor chassis to match.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:26 AM   #18
Guru

City: Boston Area
I would guess that small boats will be the last market that electric outboards will be adopted in. It's a lot easier to put 200 pounds of batteries on a 2000 pound bowrider than on a 200 pound dinghy.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I would guess that small boats will be the last market that electric outboards will be adopted in. It's a lot easier to put 200 pounds of batteries on a 2000 pound bowrider than on a 200 pound dinghy.
Just thinking out loud (sort of) seems like it would make good sense for an auxillary engine on a sailboat instead of a small diesel (e.g. 15-20 HP). Sailboats are easily pushed at or below hull speed, generally don't have to motor all day, and the placement of the batteries could act as ballast and maybe reduce some traditional keel ballast. Also as seen in the video I posted, thre may be an opportunity to do some recharging by spinning the prop under sail.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #20

City: Here and there
Hasn’t Torqeedo been doing some of that with their Deep Blue series. Inboard, pod drive, saildrive, outboard.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote