Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,303
Electric Outboards

Electric Ouboards are making big strides. I have a small one for my dinghy, but bigger ones are already avaialable and I'm sure the trend will continue. I hope everyone can watch this video, it's very interesting. Perhaps the most interesting design is the smallest one at the end of the video (although I'd prefer a better throttle control). Thoughts?

https://boattest.com/electric-outboa...ource=hs_email
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ofer's Avatar
 
City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 306
she is looking good
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Guru
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Electric Ouboards are making big strides. I have a small one for my dinghy, but bigger ones are already avaialable and I'm sure the trend will continue. I hope everyone can watch this video, it's very interesting. Perhaps the most interesting design is the smallest one at the end of the video (although I'd prefer a better throttle control). Thoughts?

https://boattest.com/electric-outboa...ource=hs_email
I saw that too - very neat design. Agree with the skepticism on the throttle control though - nice that it appears to be easily adjustable for depth. Only thing I don't like about my ePropulsion Spirit is that the shaft is too long (remedied with a recent product update).

I think we'll see lots more innovation on this front as people realize that the form factor dictated by gasoline outboards doesn't need to be replicated. I think we'll see different propellors as the sector evolves as well, to take better advantage of the torque characteristics of electric motors.
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,479
As a small electric outboard motor owner, I think the future in displacement mode will be be owned by the electrics.

Not sure about the larger motors. It seems to me that battery cost will be prohibitive. There might be a market for auxiliary or redundant drive using the generator as a power source. But it looks like all the manufacturers are focused on speed as opposed to pushing in displacement mode.

Liked some of the features on the last model including the infinitely adjustable height, rotation lock, and disconnect from the transom. Power control, length, and awkwardness of size in transport were negatives. Think I'll stick with my Epropulsion for now.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ofer's Avatar
 
City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 306
a stupid question...

if I have a 40KW outboard and want it to continually run. do i need a 40KW generator to keep it running.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I saw that too - very neat design. Agree with the skepticism on the throttle control though - nice that it appears to be easily adjustable for depth. Only thing I don't like about my ePropulsion Spirit is that the shaft is too long (remedied with a recent product update).

I think we'll see lots more innovation on this front as people realize that the form factor dictated by gasoline outboards doesn't need to be replicated. I think we'll see different propellors as the sector evolves as well, to take better advantage of the torque characteristics of electric motors.
I also have an eProp and agree the shaft is long. I should have ordered the "xs" size but the dealer recommended the "s" size. What is the product update you are talking about?
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Guru
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I also have an eProp and agree the shaft is long. I should have ordered the "xs" size but the dealer recommended the "s" size. What is the product update you are talking about?
Shortly after I ordered my "s" size they introduced the "xs" which is what I would have preferred.
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Shortly after I ordered my "s" size they introduced the "xs" which is what I would have preferred.
Agreed. I took the dealer's word for the S. I wish I had known and did some measuring when I ordered. So instead I row a little on and off the beach.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Guru
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
a stupid question...

if I have a 40KW outboard and want it to continually run. do i need a 40KW generator to keep it running.
That's basically it assuming you're not running on batteries - it gets a bit more complicated because you need to account for losses, you need to convert to the right voltage, and you need to account for transient (e.g. start) currents.

It doesn't really make sense to run a generator continuously to power an electric (or hydraulic) motor because of these losses - a shaft is simpler and more efficient. Tugboats and locomotives do run in this configuration because they need the massive startup torque electric motors can provide.
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
Guru
 
Lepke's Avatar
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,592
I've had several dingy size outboards. I prefer them to the problems of gas outboards. I connect the battery and it goes. No pulling on the start cord for 30 minutes before a trip to the repair shop where $300 seems to make it work again, for awhile. A battery is less trouble than gas. It's easier to recharge the battery than go looking for gas.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Guru
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I've had several dingy size outboards. I prefer them to the problems of gas outboards. I connect the battery and it goes. No pulling on the start cord for 30 minutes before a trip to the repair shop where $300 seems to make it work again, for awhile. A battery is less trouble than gas. It's easier to recharge the battery than go looking for gas.
I totally agree, so long as you're okay with displacement speeds in your dinghy. I think we have a few years to go before it makes sense for planing speeds.

I have my boat on a mooring and my tender in the water - not having to flush the motor's cooling passages out was reason enough for me, and I'm not allowed over 5mph generally anyway so it was a real no-brainer. Ease of operation & quietness is a huge added bonus. Cruising for 6 weeks with no gasoline on board as well!
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
she is looking good
Great looking motor and some rather good innovations.
None of the motors indicate 'time' or distance on the battery
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Great looking motor and some rather good innovations.
None of the motors indicate 'time' or distance on the battery
My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I totally agree, so long as you're okay with displacement speeds in your dinghy. I think we have a few years to go before it makes sense for planing speeds.

I have my boat on a mooring and my tender in the water - not having to flush the motor's cooling passages out was reason enough for me, and I'm not allowed over 5mph generally anyway so it was a real no-brainer. Ease of operation & quietness is a huge added bonus. Cruising for 6 weeks with no gasoline on board as well!

I have a Torqeedo that works fantastic for pushing a dinghy at displacement speed. However, with a new dinghy that my wife wanted to go faster, I got a 20hp gasser. I'd prefer electric, but like you, I don't think they are ready yet for the planing dinghy market.


Of course, since I just got the gas outboard, there will be a huge breakthrough this year making it obsolete.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
ofer's Avatar
 
City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.
LOL the story of my life
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #16
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.
Yes, that is a strong point of many electric motors.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #17
Guru
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Of course, since I just got the gas outboard, there will be a huge breakthrough this year making it obsolete.


I think you can rest easy - the progress we're seeing in batteries (like solar and wind) is not really a result of breakthroughs, just a relentless march down the manufacturing learning curve. I do suspect that in 5 years or so we'll have batteries good and cheap enough to drive outboards for short to medium distance tender duty at planing speeds, and proven outboard electric motor chassis to match.
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:26 AM   #18
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,163
I would guess that small boats will be the last market that electric outboards will be adopted in. It's a lot easier to put 200 pounds of batteries on a 2000 pound bowrider than on a 200 pound dinghy.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #19
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I would guess that small boats will be the last market that electric outboards will be adopted in. It's a lot easier to put 200 pounds of batteries on a 2000 pound bowrider than on a 200 pound dinghy.
Just thinking out loud (sort of) seems like it would make good sense for an auxillary engine on a sailboat instead of a small diesel (e.g. 15-20 HP). Sailboats are easily pushed at or below hull speed, generally don't have to motor all day, and the placement of the batteries could act as ballast and maybe reduce some traditional keel ballast. Also as seen in the video I posted, thre may be an opportunity to do some recharging by spinning the prop under sail.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
City: Here and there
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 365
Hasn’t Torqeedo been doing some of that with their Deep Blue series. Inboard, pod drive, saildrive, outboard.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012