Bow Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grim

I was wondering if anyone could identify this thruster. It has a single prop and is belt driven.
Thanks

Attachments

• bow thruster.jpg
    bow thruster.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, sorry never seen anything like it.

Welcome aboard TF
Your control pic identified Marine Hardware Bow-Power. MH is a supplier of many marine parts. I didn't find bow thrusters listed but guessing it might be a discontinued item?
You might try contacting them.

I have searched MH Bow Power many times and had no luck. Reworded it and found them. It was discontinued years ago and no parts are available. They were able to give me the specs on the motor and that was it. Chances of finding a replacement motor are very slim and not sure if even worth the time.
Thanks Bacchus

If it's the motor that's bad I wonder if an old time auto elec shop would take a look and advise re rebuild? AFAIK these are mostly brush type DC motors and might be rebuildable???

If it's the motor that's bad I wonder if an old time auto elec shop would take a look and advise re rebuild? AFAIK these are mostly brush type DC motors and might be rebuildable???
Really good point. I recently took my circa 1970 windlass motor to an auto electric shop. They repaired it which included replacing some special capacitors, re-seating the attschment lugs, and sand blasting/painting the old paint for about $300 USD.

That said, a belt-drive bow thruster sounds really old. Might be time to replace.

Peter

The motor was submerged in salt water and then sat for awhile. I plan on removing it and having a better look but very much doubt it could be rebuilt. I was hoping I could just buy another motor and be done with it. I'm pretty sure it will end up on the replacement list.
Thanks for the replies.
Jim

Don't have one.

Welcome aboard!

I recently purchased vessel and if it didn't have one it would be pretty low on my priority list, but because its there I want it to work.

You have the specs of the motor, why not try to find a suitable replacement, or modify the mounting to accept a similar one. It’s belt drive, so getting a motor of similar frame size and shaft dimensions might get you there?

I plan on removing the motor on the weekend and checking the lower unit, if it is ok i will try to source another motor with the specs I have. Fabricating a new mount is not a problem. Possibly even adapting a hydraulic motor is another option. I have to replace the anchor winch so pondering switching that to hydraulic.

We've got the same unit!

We've got the same unit in our 50y.o. Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40 here in Seattle. We got the boat ~2 years ago, and the thruster just died this weekend. Seems a standard 12v DC motor w/ 2 solenoids? Would love to learn (1) the manufacturer / model details and (2) the specs of the unit.

Thanks so much!

I have searched MH Bow Power many times and had no luck. Reworded it and found them. It was discontinued years ago and no parts are available. They were able to give me the specs on the motor and that was it. Chances of finding a replacement motor are very slim and not sure if even worth the time.
Thanks Bacchus

How are you going to power the hydraulic motor? It is pretty involved in putting a hydraulic drive system in, hoses and PTO, etc. I would just try to either rebuild the motor or find some equivalent electric motor. In the end it will be a much easier job.

How are you going to power the hydraulic motor? It is pretty involved in putting a hydraulic drive system in, hoses and PTO, etc. I would just try to either rebuild the motor or find some equivalent electric motor. In the end it will be a much easier job.

I have to replace anchor winch and want to use a drum style Hydraulic and am also repowering main and will be adding a Hydraulic pump.

In that case the hydraulic thruster would be fine. Keep in mind that the flow from the hydraulic pump at idle may be low so the thruster may be less powerful than you might like.

In that case the hydraulic thruster would be fine. Keep in mind that the flow from the hydraulic pump at idle may be low so the thruster may be less powerful than you might like.

Eng pump size / thruster motor size and pully sizes have been taken into consideration and adjusted accordingly.

If it is belt driven it should be close to a universal mount. Just match the rpm and wattage. It is probably a starter motor.

pete

Put the hydraulic pump on the generator motor. You will have a constant 1800 RPM on the hyd pump and can still run the mains at idle speeds for docking.

Circling back to update everyone that:

1 - I got a hold of the manufacturer here in Redmond, Washington (Marine Hardware) who confirmed it was a 1993 install of their discontinued BowPower unit

2 - the DC motor is just a Ford automotive starter motor

3 - I pulled the motor and sent it out for re-winding/servicing

Back
Top Bottom