6lpa Yanmar impeller change due?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverback

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Resolute
Vessel Make
Selene 48
A year ago when i bought my boat i had a big service done. Included i had the impeller replaced. Having done about 275 hours my thoughts turned to replacement. Imagine my surprise when i find that they recommend check and replace after 1000hrs! I think it is a great motor. Shame about the manual.
I guess about 250/300 would be good practice for a boat used maybe a bit more and regularly all year round? Any thoughts?

A year ago when i bought my boat i had a big service done. Included i had the impeller replaced. Having done about 275 hours my thoughts turned to replacement. Imagine my surprise when i find that they recommend check and replace after 1000hrs! I think it is a great motor. Shame about the manual.
I guess about 250/300 would be good practice for a boat used maybe a bit more and regularly all year round? Any thoughts?

I have the same engine and similar question. A friend I know says replacement every other year is mandatory. But that's his opinion and boating in my area is 6-8 months a year. In a boat the is stored in cold temps for several month, the impeller is more likely to become deformed. I know it's a part that you can't afford to have fail, but I think it can go longer than some people believe. My opinion (and I'm no expert) the impeller will last longer in a boat that is used regularly year round. How often do you worry about the water pump in your daily driver car or truck whether gas or diesel? I've found that Yanmar is pretty responsive. You can email them with details on your boating style and let them advise you. I wouldn't immediately shame the manual. The manual is usually on the conservative side with recommended intervals. Try checking directly with Yanmar and let us know what they say.

Last edited:
I agree with every other year, maybe intitally. See what it looks like and then assess next interval. I do every other year, impellers show little wear but once apart new ones go in and old ones become spare - running takeouts for two more years.

If you're boating in skinny water one dose of sand or silt can cause short life issues too.

Every couple years or 1,000 hours should be fine.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

pete

Every couple years or 1,000 hours should be fine. If it aint broke, don't fix it.pete

Not so sure on this statement. Running an impeller to failure has only downside, possibly severe.

pete

I have to disagree with this also. *****If it aint broke, don't fix it.*****

Impellers often shed vanes and can fail abruptly leaving one stranded. With the difficulty many engines and/or boats present to someone trying to swap a failed impeller which caused an overheat in some nasty spot working on a HOT engine that is not good advice.

Many pumps have to be removed to get at the impeller at all.
Broken vanes often start to plug the heat exchanger.
Sometime they go the other way to come back to the pump suction and create a blockage at the cam plate or damage the new impeller.

No, to date I have not experienced this thankfully. But I also do it frequently enough to so far avoid that problem because I have one of those engines.

So no, do not run it untill if fails.

pete
The corollary of that is "fix when it`s broke". Knowing it`s "broke" likely involves an overheat with potential for damage. A risk not worth taking.

A far better guide would be an HOURS and a CALENDAR TIME guide along with a
WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

Most of our boats might not see 1,000hrs in 10 years, other will see 1,000 hrs in one year or maybe two.

I have contacted Yanmar and will advise when i get a response. Not being cursed with freezing temperatures here may contribute to longevity.

I have to disagree with this also. *****If it aint broke, don't fix it.*****

Impellers often shed vanes and can fail abruptly leaving one stranded. With the difficulty many engines and/or boats present to someone trying to swap a failed impeller which caused an overheat in some nasty spot working on a HOT engine that is not good advice.

Many pumps have to be removed to get at the impeller at all.
Broken vanes often start to plug the heat exchanger.
Sometime they go the other way to come back to the pump suction and create a blockage at the cam plate or damage the new impeller.

No, to date I have not experienced this thankfully. But I also do it frequently enough to so far avoid that problem because I have one of those engines.

So no, do not run it untill if fails.

Not really sure anyone really meant to run it till it fails. Getting back to the original question. If the manual says 1000 hours, is that reasonable and if not, what is?

Not really sure anyone really meant to run it till it fails. Getting back to the original question. If the manual says 1000 hours, is that reasonable and if not, what is?

There is a long list of Preventive Maintenance items that face the same question:
Impellers, Fuel filters, engine zincs, damper plates, engine mounts, cutless bearings, teak decks, etc.

What is your comfort zone?

You are right and I do realize that but too many push and then pay.

When I started I did mine every 2 yrs or what worked out to be about 500 hrs.
I looked at the impeller and added a year each time. I now do the rebuild every 4-5 yrs and each time the impeller is still in good shape. and I look hard for ANY signs of excessive wear, excessive hardening and cracks/splits in the vanes. My yearly hours though have gone down.

A lot depends upon the pump, how fast it spins to move the needed water.
My engine has a physically large pump rotated at relatively low rpm and I do not run my engine hard so even fewer revs. The water it runs in is relatively cold compared to many areas.

Other engines use a smaller pump spun much faster and those will have a shorter rebuild time.

So no one can tell you a specific interval except as a guideline. But for new owners to a boat I would suggest at least yearly, then look at extending depending upon condition of the impeller.

That is also why I made the point about the suggested hours only as not great.

I thought that a blanket statement of 1,000 hrs was too long without the calendar time also. Things like impellers age regardless of use.

Cheap insurance

For me, impellers are an annual replacement item.
It’s the last thing I want to do at some random time, and not something I want to have to worry about, ever.
So it’s a brand new impeller every year, and the old one goes in the trash.
The onboard spare is new as well, because changing it out is not a job anybody wants to do repeatedly.

You are right and I do realize that but too many push and then pay.

When I started I did mine every 2 yrs or what worked out to be about 500 hrs.
I looked at the impeller and added a year each time. I now do the rebuild every 4-5 yrs and each time the impeller is still in good shape. and I look hard for ANY signs of excessive wear, excessive hardening and cracks/splits in the vanes. My yearly hours though have gone down.

A lot depends upon the pump, how fast it spins to move the needed water.
My engine has a physically large pump rotated at relatively low rpm and I do not run my engine hard so even fewer revs. The water it runs in is relatively cold compared to many areas.

Other engines use a smaller pump spun much faster and those will have a shorter rebuild time.

So no one can tell you a specific interval except as a guideline. But for new owners to a boat I would suggest at least yearly, then look at extending depending upon condition of the impeller.

That is also why I made the point about the suggested hours only as not great.

I thought that a blanket statement of 1,000 hrs was too long without the calendar time also. Things like impellers age regardless of use.

There is always calendar time. In the case of the impeller, Yanmar recommends 1000 hrs or 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom