Security while at anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't showing up in a big (or at least decent sized) boat flaunting your wealth? Especially in a lot of foreign locations that are quaint cruising destinations.

Anyone who can cruise around at leisure on a boat that is big enough to live on is wwwaaayyyy better off than the vast majority of the population. Even if the boat has seen better days.

Flaunting wealth by going cruising?
Not even close, we made the right choices, skimped and saved every penny, didn't go out when others did.

Better off is a state of mind. Some family lives in a hut, fishing in beautiful waters, lives off the land pretty much every day and has a fairly carefree existence.

We work ourselves to death, stressed to the max to afford our existence and to save enough up to someday sit in the bay the above family lives every day.. who is "better off" ?

HOLLYWOOD

It has been my general experience that those who boast, are loud, and talk tough are often not what they appear. I know a few guys who went in to Special Forces (Seals). They were all mild mannered, in control, and didn’t obsess over their guns. Google Admiral William Mc Raven.

Yes, and they had them and knew what they could do with them
HOLLYWOOD

Well spoken Fletcher. But when they need to defend they can, with results.

Politics usually end all senior military careers one way or another.

Re Irish's much earlier comment about the sound of racking a pump 12. I'd like to pipe that sound through the home security system speakers instead of the horn. Think it'd be more effective.

It has been my general experience that those who boast, are loud, and talk tough are often not what they appear. I know a few guys who went in to Special Forces (Seals). They were all mild mannered, in control, and didn’t obsess over their guns. Google Admiral William Mc Raven.

When you try and stereotype special operations types (or anyone else, really) you’re usually going to be about half wrong.

For fun, google “Mat Best” or go to his you tube videos. I have to warn you. You will probably hate him.

On another note, hoping really hard that nothing bad happens, is not really a plan.

Last edited:
There are always a few Walter Mittie's around but your perfectly correct anyone with that background is 99.9% totally in control of themselves. In my own experience I got lucky. By the law of averages guys who own cruisers are not in the first flush of youth but MAY have some cqb experience whereas burglars tend to be younger opportunists.
You're taught to make an instant decision, fight or flight, being older your generally physically not equipped for a prolonged encounter so you must be swift and brutal, or, give in and save the situation getting out of the way or handing over valuables etc, they can be replaced, you can't.

Last edited:
In addition to the suggestion of using the fire extinguisher for self defense, a flare gun would likely be effective at short range.

In addition to the suggestion of using the fire extinguisher for self defense, a flare gun would likely be effective at short range.

The problem with using a flare gun on an intruder is that the flare will burn for several seconds. If you miss or even when it hits someone, if it bounces off or is dislodged you'll have a burning flare somewhere on your boat, possibly inside the cabin or near a fuel tank. Yeah, you'll discourage the intruder, but you may also be joining him in escaping the boat.

If you're not boarded yet and can drop the flare in their boat, you might get somewhere.

Reminds me of a favorite story.

A bunch of USCG pilots we're going frog gigging one night in the Everglades in tin boats and canoes.

One pilot comes back from the survival shop after checking out a pistol for the trip.

One other plot says what's that for?

Paul R. responds, for snakes, as they sometimes get in the boat.

The other pilot says,but you will shoot holes in the boat.

Paul R responds.... Take one problem at a time.

:)

I may be naive, but this thread makes it appear that a lot of folks are out boating in areas that are too dangerous to be enjoyable! Is it worth it?

I may be naive, but this thread makes it appear that a lot of folks are out boating in areas that are too dangerous to be enjoyable! Is it worth it?

yes
HOLLYWOOD

For almost all, yes. People worry disproportionately relative to reality. There are people who won't take elevators, do they know something we don't?

Wifey B: Yes ma'am, it sure does. Doesn't discussion of safety always make risks sound excessive? :ermm:

I think so and I think most areas are easily handled with one's routine precautions which should be practiced wherever you are. Then there are a few areas (such as anywhere near Venezuela) to be avoided or transited very very carefully.

Some things naturally increase exposure wherever you are. Anchoring in an isolated area is one but many love it because of the peace and quiet. Leaving the boat with no one watching is one, but protected with a simple security system.

I've watched a lot of tv and movies so every time I hand the keys to my Porsche to a valet or parking attendant, I have fearful pictures in my mind. Yet, I still do it. I'm just careful to look it over very well when returned to me and I do check mileage so no joy rides. I don't avoid parking though. :)

Ever had an elevator stop on you? I have. I don't like it either. But I don't avoid them. Meanwhile, Hubby has a cousin and she had it happen in a two story building and never would ride one again. Lived on the 4th floor in college and always took the stairs. Good thing she lives in a small town with no tall buildings. Sad, that fear most of us would consider unreasonable has taken her in that way. :(

The absolute irony about elevators?

They are way safer than stairs. Look it up.

The absolute irony about elevators?

They are way safer than stairs. Look it up.

I believe you and I always thought it was very irresponsible that her parents didn't get her help to work through that. I can understand a young girl being scared. I can't understand letting her go through life like that.

I take the stairs over the elevator every chance I get. It is decent exercise if you do it several times a day and usually quicker. People who take an elevator for just one floor amaze me (except when they are moving something large or heavy, not counting themselves).

I take the stairs over the elevator every chance I get. It is decent exercise if you do it several times a day and usually quicker. People who take an elevator for just one floor amaze me (except when they are moving something large or heavy, not counting themselves).

Just wait until you decide to take the stairs in a tall hotel or office building and find out the doors to the floors only open from the floor itself, not the stairs, so the only place you can escape from the stairs is ground level. Safety issue to keep people from sneaking in.

Just wait until you decide to take the stairs in a tall hotel or office building and find out the doors to the floors only open from the floor itself, not the stairs, so the only place you can escape from the stairs is ground level. Safety issue to keep people from sneaking in.

I know some places like that. Often you find that the doors are blocked open by someone. Others have a card reader or something to open the doors from the stairwell side. If you are supposed to be there you can usually get in. Usually it is only the ground floor door to the outside that is one way. On any other floor the doors to the stairways are unlocked.

I agree with ssobol

I take the stairs over an elevator good exercise. :thumb: Able body people who take the elevator for just one floor, when everyone else is going up / down a bunch of floors :banghead:

Just a reminder, there are usually no elevators in boats. It was an example of an irrational fear. ;)

I make it a habit not to stop at places I don't feel safe. That said, I don't reduce my security procedures (locking doors at night) because I feel a place is safer. If you break in through a locked door, your motives are pretty clear.

Ted

My nominee for Best Post of the Year in brevity, clarity, common sense, understatement and political correctness!

:thumb::thumb:

I hope Boatpoker jumps in and posts about his midnight antics in defending his property in the Islands.

I won't steal his thunder but will say that I now call him, "Wambo"!

Hopefully, he'll explain...

Wifey B: Yes ma'am, it sure does. Doesn't discussion of safety always make risks sound excessive? :ermm:

I think so and I think most areas are easily handled with one's routine precautions which should be practiced wherever you are. Then there are a few areas (such as anywhere near Venezuela) to be avoided or transited very very carefully.

Some things naturally increase exposure wherever you are. Anchoring in an isolated area is one but many love it because of the peace and quiet. Leaving the boat with no one watching is one, but protected with a simple security system.

I've watched a lot of tv and movies so every time I hand the keys to my Porsche to a valet or parking attendant, I have fearful pictures in my mind. Yet, I still do it. I'm just careful to look it over very well when returned to me and I do check mileage so no joy rides. I don't avoid parking though. :)

Ever had an elevator stop on you? I have. I don't like it either. But I don't avoid them. Meanwhile, Hubby has a cousin and she had it happen in a two story building and never would ride one again. Lived on the 4th floor in college and always took the stairs. Good thing she lives in a small town with no tall buildings. Sad, that fear most of us would consider unreasonable has taken her in that way. :(

Speaking of high risk, the Valet is in that category and if I had to use one, I wouldn't go. Like using a credit card at a restaurant. Yea, and I'll take the stairs for the exercise most of the time.

Now, need a boat security system...

Wifey B:

LOL, not a worry that I have!

The attendant isn't going to take my wife's Jeep for a joyride when there is a Porsche like yours to [STRIKE]drive[/STRIKE] park. :rofl:

Jim

We were boarded once on the central coast of British Columbia.

Damn pine martin got an entire pan of corn bread that was cooling in the cockpit.

I will consider this thread as one more reason that the Inside Passage is some of the finest cruising in the world. We anchor out in remote places regularly, don't bother locking the boat, leave the tender in the water overnight, and have never felt that our safety was in question.

I will consider this thread as one more reason that the Inside Passage is some of the finest cruising in the world. We anchor out in remote places regularly, don't bother locking the boat, leave the tender in the water overnight, and have never felt that our safety was in question.

And to those who know me, they know I'm a real fraidy cat.:eek:

I'm just not afraid of the ocean, but pretty much everything else.
Probably why i love being on the ocean. :dance:

I won't stop anyplace I have any doubts. That's the main reason I rushed thru the Caribbean and Central America so quickly. :eek:

So far, the only unexpected boarders were in Riga, Latvia. I heard people on the fore-deck and thought my friends had returned. but 20 minutes later, with no words from them, I emerged from the engine room (doing what I do best, changing fluids) to discover a wedding couple were taking wedding pictures on deck. :thumb:

When you fly the starts and stripes, it's like bears to honey whenever you stop in any ex-commie land. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom