Pilot Busy on His Cell Phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting that the crew is getting some blame in not telling the pilot it is time to turn. Thought that was the reason for the pilot to be there, supposed to know better than the crew.

I've been rear-ended three times in the past two years by people looking at their phones. Phones are a menace in moving vehicles. But that situation with a thousand-foot ship and multi-millions of dollars sure takes it into a completely different universe than my rear bumper. (I did some additional googling to refresh my memory on the whole thing and I see a lot of media reports say "the captain" was suspended for using his phone. For crying out loud, a pilot and a captain are not the same thing! Sloppy reporting.)

"..The Hong Kong-flagged containership Ever Forward (127,000 dwt) departed Seagirt Marine Terminal in Baltimore, Maryland bound for Norfolk, Virginia ..."

I thought the Jones Act prohibited foreign flagged vessels from going between US Ports ??

It is also disappointing that only his Maryland license was suspended because the USCG can't take action on his federal license. This means he could probably go get a job in another state.

"..The Hong Kong-flagged containership Ever Forward (127,000 dwt) departed Seagirt Marine Terminal in Baltimore, Maryland bound for Norfolk, Virginia ..."

I thought the Jones Act prohibited foreign flagged vessels from going between US Ports ??

It is also disappointing that only his Maryland license was suspended because the USCG can't take action on his federal license. This means he could probably go get a job in another state.

They can't carry cargo between US ports, but they can travel between them. So if they're carrying cargo from overseas, they can go to Baltimore, unload some of their cargo and continue to Norfolk to unload more stuff. Or unload stuff in Baltimore and pick up cargo in Norfolk. But anything that comes onboard in Baltimore can't be offloaded in Norfolk.

It takes a long time to become a pilot, could take years. And I doubt that any other area would issue him a pilot’s license after having it suspended in Maryland.

Back
Top Bottom