Fixed fire suppression 'required' on a 32' gas-powered boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrentwoodBayliner

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bonita Rose
Vessel Make
1981 Bayliner 3270
re: 1981 32' cruiser, twin gas engines, Canadian resident, no commercial use

Please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered recently - I can't find any record specifically related to gas.

I agree it's a very good idea to install a fixed system (especially with gas engines), but that's not the question. Is there a 'requirement'?

I understand the applicable ABYC standard is A-4.8, but I can't access a copy of it anywhere on-line. I believe it was updated in 2018. And I believe the rules for gas and diesel may be different.

I had always understood there was no requirement for a fixed system in any non-commercial boat under 65', but I have a surveyor trying to tell me otherwise. He says it's required for ANY gas powered boat with engine below decks, but not for diesel.

I'd appreciate it if a member with access to current ABYC reg's could post the exact wording of A-4.8.

Not that it would necessarily apply in Canada anyway, but that's another topic..

BTW - my insurance company has said if the boat didn't come from the factory with a fixed system, they do not require me to add one. And of course, it didn't.

Thank you!

I dont have the latest ABYC but will look my older copy up to see what the date is.
I am a USPS / USCG Vessel Safety Examiner (recreation only) and can confirm that fixed fire suppression systems are NOT REQUIRED. When present and functional, they satisfy the requirement for one hand held extinguisher.
I can't confirm what Canada's requirement is.
Here is a related post link

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47453
If Boatpoker doesn't chime in you might PM him as he is likely to be up to date on Canadian reqmts.

Last edited:
Unless there's a Canadian reg that requires it, then it's not required, just recommended. Your insurance may be slightly cheaper if you have one as well.

Unless there's a Canadian reg that requires it, then it's not required, just recommended. Your insurance may be slightly cheaper if you have one as well.
When scanning through the link above I noticed mention of a means to discharge a hand held into the engine space in Canada. Im wondering if that means a requirement to have one of those "ports" to do that if there is no fixed system... just reading between the lines re Canada. Boatpoker will likely know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom