Coast Guard rescues 20 Kayaker idiots Deception Pass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More info, see post by Jacob August(safety kayaker) and associated comments within post for his overview of the race.
Salmon Bay Paddle

One of the videos from the post above

Here is my opinion....

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 141
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...er-in-deception-pass/ar-AARMzL1?ocid=msedgntp

This just dropped my jaw. Paddling Deception Pass in December with winds. What were they thinking? It is amazing how many kayakers end up in the water. These people were so fortunate that the CG was on the scene since life expectancy in those water with those currents is measured in minutes.

Depending on the water temp they all would have been wearing thicker wetsuits or more likely dry suits. They could safely be in the water for perhaps hours. Experienced paddlers dress for the water temp and those in PNW and NE know this more than anyone. Most know all about cold shock, gasping reflex, how many minutes they have before losing use of their hands, etc.

Experienced paddlers practice reentry and assisted reentries and have a number of different ways of doing so. To them a capsize is not an immediate life threatening situation. Many of those paddlers did use those very skills to self rescue and assist.

I’m not one of those racers. I’m a flatwater kayaker and I haven’t learned to roll. But I practice a paddle float reentry and practice braces. My boat is bulkheaded and I always wear a paddling jacket, skirt, life jacket and have whistle, VHF, bail and pump. I don’t go out in cold water anymore because I don’t seem to adapt to it as well as I get older and my wetsuit, doesn't, ahem, fit anymore. But I’m eyeing up a new one or a dry suit. I’ve been kayaking a long time but middling skill level and I otherwise take most of the precautions that most experienced kayakers do. Like many things, if one doesn’t have any knowledge of the sport, I guess it’s way too easy to criticize.

I white water and sea kayaked for years. I've been in bigger waves in a sea kayak than I would ever want to try with my trawler (I don't know how to role a trawler back up). But a paddle board? There were paddle boarders going through Deception Pass? In the winter? I assume they each had a dog sitting on their board. The dog would be the brains of the operation.

I've always thought that paddle boards were about as practical as unicycles. It is sort of impressive that somebody can stay on such a silly contraption, but don't think of either as a reasonable method of conveyance. It's just a stunt.

Headline coming soon: Unicyclist falls though ice while backpacking across frozen lake.

Speaking of kayaks, a good free streaming movie on Netflix is "The River Runner". Good documentary for anyone that's interested.

I white water and sea kayaked for years. I've been in bigger waves in a sea kayak than I would ever want to try with my trawler (I don't know how to role a trawler back up). But a paddle board? There were paddle boarders going through Deception Pass? In the winter? I assume they each had a dog sitting on their board. The dog would be the brains of the operation.

I've always thought that paddle boards were about as practical as unicycles. It is sort of impressive that somebody can stay on such a silly contraption, but don't think of either as a reasonable method of conveyance. It's just a stunt.

Headline coming soon: Unicyclist falls though ice while backpacking across frozen lake.

I don’t think they are meant as a “reasonable method of conveyance” any more than a roller coaster is a reasonable way to commute to work.

It's not meant to be an efficient form of water travel but some people enjoy it, whether for excercise or they just enjoy the experience. It may not be the easiest thing to do, neither is surfing or wind surfing, but not sure it deserves to be called a stunt.

So paddle boarding is a “stunt” but white water kayaking is a “reasonable method of conveyance”? Are you seriously suggesting that you white water kayaked simply to get from one spot to another?

I’m not an avid kayaker. My mother is however. She has friends that love to kayak Deception Pass when the current is running strong. It is little different than white water kayaking on a river. The are all well trained, practiced, and experienced. They wear dry suits and PFDs. It is an extreme sport and therefore not without risks.

More videos are surfacing from racers that show conditions, first video has good pre-race info and some insights into the decision making around weather. My opinion is these guys have much better balance than I do.

Racer's summary
The importance of a good race organizer was on full display yesterday in the infamously moody Deception Pass. Just minutes before the first wave of racers left the beach, it was so flat and windless I considered using my tiny flat water rudder over my weed rudder. By the time my wave started, the wind and waves had already picked up a lot and I made it just over a mile (which took forever) before the race was shut down. 10 foot waves had already formed out there and bounced off the cliff faces in various directions. As I battled my way out towards the island we were supposed to go around for the first turn, I passed paddler after paddler from the first wave that needed rescue from the safety boats. Thanks to the race organizers, there was no shortage of boats out there to help them. In the end, there were at least 2 coast guard cutters, a police boat, a bunch of zodiac boats, a jet ski, and multiple kayak safety paddlers. A coast guard chopper even made an appearance to be sure everyone made it back. Word is 15-20 paddlers were picked up and brought back to shore. Probably more were assisted. There were a lot of people that were too inexperienced to be out there in the first place. But everyone was safe because Rob Casey and crew were prepared. A bunch of us hardy paddlers were loving the big stuff to play in and hated having to turn around, but cutting the race short was the right call considering the large number of struggling racers present. Well done @salmonbaypaddle ??? This wasn’t an easy race to even attempt but you rocked it and we thank you for that ?

Racer comment
Big conditions turned this 6-mile race into a short but fun out-and-back.

Red Rascal thanks for posting this. Those of us from the area are aware of the precautions that were taken. Unfortunately the snap judgment posters seem to get all of the attention.

Deception Pass Kayak/Paddle Event – The Rest of the Story

The US. Coast Guard Thirteenth District recently issued a press release, reporting events of December 11th in Deception Pass, where participants in the Deception Pass Challenge event were rescued by Coast Guard and other First Responders. Waggoner Facebook posted the USCG press release which received a number of comments.

One of the comments suggested that the event had USCG approval. The event was listed in USCG Local Notice to Mariners, which indicates that the organizers provided the required notice to USCG of the event on form CG-4423 – see https://homeport.uscg.mil/Pages/MarineEventFormSubmission.aspx for the sample form.

Most recently, organizers of the event contacted Waggoner and provided their perspective on preparations and events of that day. What follows are the organizers’ account of the events of December 11, 2021 at the Deception Pass Challenge:
• Coast Guard vessels were already at the event
• Required Coast Guard permit gives access to their boats to support the event
• We also had two Skagit Search and Rescue boats (SAR) as part of the event
• Most paddlers were ‘assisted’ or righted and got back on their own
• Only a handful were ‘rescued’ and brought to shore. All the assists and rescues took place off Bowman Bay, not in the Pass
• This event has taken place for 14 years without incident. It’s a rough water race not unlike sailing events held regularly in our waters in winter
• We had a window in the weather for the day, but got a freak wind storm that was over in 2 hours. The gale wind warning had lifted by morning. Forecasts and real time wind readings for the area showed SE 15kt winds, which don’t build waves in the Pass on the ebb
• All racers were required to wear life jackets, wear immersion clothing, carry a communication device, and wear Hi-Vis clothing for visibility
• No agency involved opposed us starting the race
• All were on shore 30 min after the race was cancelled, paddlers in good spirits afterwards (with no injuries)

Thank you to all who provided comments on Waggoner Facebook and to the organizers of the event for further clarification. Our mission at Waggoner is to provide boaters with accurate and helpful information.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom